• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does it fit?

jimbo913

IMG_3958.jpg
Ok, so as far as I can tell this is a special fuel cap and copper tube set which will connect to the auxiliary fuel hose on my 803A and similar gensets.

My questions are:

1- What does the cap fit?
2- What is the fitting size/type?

I am thinking that I will get another fitting like this and tap the tube and fitting into a 55 gallon drum cap so I can use it to draw fuel from my 55 gal storage drums during extended power outages. I also need to make a rain proof vent in the second drum cap so it does not cause a vacuum issue when pumping the fuel.

Ratch

It's for a 55-gallon drum.
That cap will fit the standard military fuel can (think 5 gallon jerry can), which should also be the same fitting size as a typical steel 55-gallon drum. The single tube will drop into the 5-gallon can, and then both tubes together will dip into the 55-gallon drum.

jimbo913

Thanks. I prefer the 55 gallon plastic drums for storage, and it doesn't' fit tight enough into those so I guess the threads are different.

Any clue on the thread size and type?

Ratch

Nope, not a clue! I know the plastic drums I use have a 2" thread because that's the PVC fitting I have in them. But I've never attached anything to a steel drum but one of these adapters and the cap.

Chainbreaker

Thanks. I prefer the 55 gallon plastic drums for storage, and it doesn't' fit tight enough into those so I guess the threads are different.

Any clue on the thread size and type?
I looked up a drum plug at Grainger and this is the description:

"Drum Plug, Round Head, (M)NPT Inlet 2 In., Steel, For Use With Steel Drums, Construction Steel, Includes Buna Gasket, Package Quantity 10"

So it appears that steel fuel drums use a 2" Medium National Pipe Thread. Therefore it seems the Aux fuel adaptor should fit a 2" polyethylene drum bung UNLESS the threads are much coarser OR the adaptor you have is not expanding the rubber gasket properly when the lever is flipped due to it having aged and hardened.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you flip the lever? It does fit cans and drums as they have the same thread. The lever squishes the rubber sealing it in the threads!

jimbo913

Yes, I flipped the lever. The poly drum threads are very coarse so that could be the difference.

My original question of thread size/type was not related to the drum threads, it was regarding the fuel fitting. If I can figure out the fuel fitting threads (coming out of the cap - hose side), I can buy another fitting and modify a plastic drum cap to make it all work.

Jim

Ray70

Plastic poly drums usually have 2 different bung threads. The finer one is a 2" NPT, so any standard PVC or black iron pipe fitting from Home Depot or where ever will fit that one. The other bung is a much coarser thread, I forget what that one is called.
Don't forget to outfit the drum with a vent of some sort.
Some of the bungs will have a threaded hole in the middle that isn't drilled completely through, you can drill a hole in that and the thread will be a 3/4" NPT that you can adapt to some kind of small vent to let air into the drum.
Steel drums usually have a 2" NPT and a 3/4" NPT fitting. Steel doesn't use that other coarse thread fitting like you find on poly drums.

Ray70

Correct, the adapter is an AN-5 size fitting. I believe you can also use JIC #5 and SAE 5/16" flare tube since AN-5 is an oddball size that is difficult to source.

jimbo913

What I have come to find out on the plastic drums is there are MANY types out there. Of the 6 I had there were ones with too large coarse/fine thread, too large coarse/coarse thread (neither would work) and I found one with small coarse/fine thread which "may" work if I cut off the lip above the thread. In its standard form the cap doesnt go in deep enough to grab.

DieselGenAC

AN and JIC fittings are both 37 degree flare fittings and are functionally interchangeable. I believe the difference is thread tolerance and long term fatigue resistance which is critical for something that flies. I don't think a generator or vehicle fuel supply will care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks