• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does my van weigh???

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, on a rented laptop, don't have the TM 43-0001-31. Wait, yes I do have it. Depending on what variation it is of the M373, from 8700 to 9700#.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wreckerman said
I was considering scrapping out my ...
I'm seeing a trend here. :roll:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote we kick wreckerman off of Steel Soldiers website.

Seriously folks, this website has to do with saving military vehicles, restoring and preserving them and their accessories for future generation to enjoy. And yet there are some on here who can't wait to scrap stuff, and brag about "what is scrap going for near you"? Who F'ing cares. If you have a junk Toyota or something else noone cares about, scrap it. But if you constantly scrap stuff MV related, maybe you should re-evaluate your presence on this website.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: What does my van weigh???

maddawg308 said:

Seriously folks, this website has to do with saving military vehicles, restoring and preserving them and their accessories for future generation to enjoy. And yet there are some on here who can't wait to scrap stuff, and brag about "what is scrap going for near you"? Who F'ing cares. If you have a junk Toyota or something else noone cares about, scrap it. But if you constantly scrap stuff MV related, maybe you should re-evaluate your presence on this website.
You noticed the trend too? :cry:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch Mike! I'd sell my semi trailer for less than scrap to see it saved but I have no takers. Scrap seems to be my only alternative right now unless you buy it. I'd much rather see it saved but have little recourse. I'm not wealthy and have limited land.

jasonjc

either of those trailers would look better behind my XM818 than as a toatser. I buy yours kenny but you are just to far away.

I too, would love to buy one or both of these guys trailers, but I have figured out that I am not a big truck/trailer kind of hobbyist.

However, I do know that a van trailer like this one would make a GREAT display unit for a museum operation to take a rolling exhibit to schools and other events. That's what I had hoped for the M348A2N trailer I had, but funding and time available didn't work out right.

So, the upshot is, if you know of a Museum group that could use it, donate it! Unless, like many of us, (READ THAT AS ME) you really need the $$ not the tax deduction.

But, in answer to your first question, My M348A2N data plate (same style of trailer-maybe different doors and/or frame) shows empty total of 9,040. 18" from the front of the van to the kingpin, and 74 1/2" radius from the kingpin to the landing gear, in case one of you guys with a tractor wants to make sure it will fit.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well.....the thought here was to scrap the trailer (which is in bad shape inside, floor rotted out, roof leaks, several rows of rivets popped out) and put the money toward paying off my Master Card/GL debt (currently $9000.00) which purchased ten MV's that will be saved.
I also need the money to buy supplies to change out the engine in the wrecker.
The trailer is for sale for $1500.00 if someone really wants to save it from the scrapper.
If the scrapper dont offer me what I consider a fair price I will keep the trailer and hopefully restore it to use as a camper.

CliffW

Re: RE: What does my van weigh???

doghead said:
maddawg308 said:

You noticed the trend too? :cry:
:ditto:
I know he can do what he wants to to his stuff but it sucks to this stuff scraped....

RE: Re: RE: What does my van weigh???

maddawg308 wrote:
At least he didn't come out with "you guys gotta buy this OR ELSE" like other people have done.

Generally, I think most of us have had to decide at one time or another if something was worth the effort to sell it, keep it until it rusts into the ground, or if it should get the funds that could go to a better use (larger,newer, better condition, other parts for another MV). Sometimes, without fanfare, without any big to do, MVs and parts are recycled. 2cents

edit:
BTW, Wman--what model is the trailer? 373 or 348? How many doors and where? My M348 had one on the back and one on the side, with two on the front to access the equipment section.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: What does my van weigh???

So Cliff, can I depend on you to buy my trailer so I don't have to scrap it?

dm22630

wreckerman893 said:
Well.....the thought here was to scrap the trailer (which is in bad shape inside, floor rotted out, roof leaks, several rows of rivets popped out) and put the money toward paying off my Master Card/GL debt (currently $9000.00) which purchased ten MV's that will be saved.
I also need the money to buy supplies to change out the engine in the wrecker.
The trailer is for sale for $1500.00 if someone really wants to save it from the scrapper.
If the scrapper dont offer me what I consider a fair price I will keep the trailer and hopefully restore it to use as a camper.
I dont see why you need to explain yourself.....its yours....do what you want with it.

It IS nice to hold off on scrapping MV stuff until someone can buy it from you.....but personally, if no one would buy my deuces & I needed to make my house payment....they would be scrapped too.

Everyone has priorities. And it does NOT make sense to go without....just so a trailer (that you cant afford to fix & no one wants to buy) can rust into the ground.

2cents

Elwenil

I see no problem with scrapping currently unwanted MVs or MVs that are unfeasible to restore at the present time in order to preserve other vehicles. In essence, it's not much different than taking two or three vehicles and swapping parts to make one good one. I don't think Wreckerman is scrapping a DUKW or other rare and desirable MV and I see this sort of thing as the unfortunate reality of all kinds of vehicle restoration in the US. The grassroots guys, the ones who love the hobby and are in it because they love it and are not millionaires, have to do something to finance their hobby. I myself just crushed an old Dodge truck and anyone who knows me knows how fanatical I am about Dodge trucks. It hurt, but I stripped it down and what remained was a basket case, never to be restored. It got me $500, spare 8 lug axles and a few other odds and ends that will keep two more trucks on the road longer. Honestly, I look for more of this to happen. Already probably 50% of the M35s sold at GL will be crushed by someone. I am sort of thinking a smart tactic if you had the transportation option would be to buy one nice M35 and two more in worse shape for parts and the scrap yard. You could probably come close to breaking even if you get a good buy. We can't save them all guys, and some will have to be sacrificed. I don't think Wreckerman's reputation need be tarnished considering what he has saved and done for other SS members.

54reo

Elwenil said:
I see no problem with scrapping currently unwanted MVs or MVs that are unfeasible to restore at the present time in order to preserve other vehicles. In essence, it's not much different than taking two or three vehicles and swapping parts to make one good one. I don't think Wreckerman is scrapping a DUKW or other rare and desirable MV and I see this sort of thing as the unfortunate reality of all kinds of vehicle restoration in the US. The grassroots guys, the ones who love the hobby and are in it because they love it and are not millionaires, have to do something to finance their hobby. I myself just crushed an old Dodge truck and anyone who knows me knows how fanatical I am about Dodge trucks. It hurt, but I stripped it down and what remained was a basket case, never to be restored. It got me $500, spare 8 lug axles and a few other odds and ends that will keep two more trucks on the road longer. Honestly, I look for more of this to happen. Already probably 50% of the M35s sold at GL will be crushed by someone. I am sort of thinking a smart tactic if you had the transportation option would be to buy one nice M35 and two more in worse shape for parts and the scrap yard. You could probably come close to breaking even if you get a good buy. We can't save them all guys, and some will have to be sacrificed. I don't think Wreckerman's reputation need be tarnished considering what he has saved and done for other SS members.
Very well put.

I have been cleaning up here as well lately. While no MV's have left, alot of my MoPar stuff is heading out the door; either as scrap or Ebay fodder. Just recently I scrapped some "projects" that I knew would never see the road again, it's just reality that we can't save them all.

And Lanty, I do understand how difficult it is to scrap out a MoPar. I can recall being in high school and reading an article about "Joe Blow" and his "insert any model/year MoPar" and how he had to take three cars to build one. I would think, "Man, this guy is parting/scrapping out a better car than my daily driver '74 Swinger, what a dumb-butt!". Well, here I am doing that very thing.

Sometimes we do not know the entire reason someone makes the decision to cut something up. Perhaps the money is needed to keep a roof over someone's head. Maybe a bigger and better project is receiving the funding as a result of another vehicle's demise. And in this case, as WM stated, it seems the trailer is in rough condition and would take considerable resources to repair, let alone restore. Would it not be the lesser of the two evils to see a worn out trailer scrapped to put a wrecker back in running condition?

WM is a hobbyist, and I'm sure it pains him to scrap out anything MV related as much as I hurts me to cut the drivetrain out of a Dart. In the end, it is WM's stuff and his decision as to what is to be done with it.

Bill W

WM
Maybe you should use the phrase "Parting Out" and then scrapping the remaining "Residual" or maybe "Doner parts Vehicle" this would be more politically correct here on the site :wink:
My deuce now has a good bed and transfer case from one of WM's "Parts,doner,residual vehicles"

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ said:
wreckerman893 said:
So........am I still in the club :?: :mrgreen:
OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Clinto, is there time for one more event at the rally?
Does anyone going to the Ga rally, have a guillotine? :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks