• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does the brown wire in the alt plug do?

readyman

Not my choice, but I'm trying to work with it.
I'm trying to sort out a 12volt conversion. There is an OEM air conditioner on the driver side instead of an alt. So I'm working with the passenger side alt only.
I got a non-isolated ground alt for the pasenger side and just wondered what the brown wire in the alt plug(red/brown wire) is for.
The new alt is working fine but needs a ground attached to the block, I believe.
But the brown wire's job stumps me, should I leave it in after ground the alt to the block?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Single brown wire? Tach wire, You don't need it.

readyman

I checked the wiring diagrams and it goes to an alt relay. And the way the voltage changes when the key is 'on' just wondered what it did. Went to the Roscomm instructions and they don't mess with it in a 12v conversion. They just add a ground wire to the block.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brown wire in the red/brown plug turns on the excitor system in the altermnator.

The red wire provides constant voltage. The bown only provides voltage when the key is on.

It is required unless you have a single wire alternator (self exciting)

readyman

Thanks Warthog,
That's exactly what I wanted to know!
Now the wiring diagram and the alt2 relay make sense.

The brown wire in the red/brown plug turns on the excitor system in the altermnator.

The red wire provides constant voltage. The bown only provides voltage when the key is on.

It is required unless you have a single wire alternator (self exciting)