• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what does this mean?

BILLDEUCE

So I tore down my rear axle hub today wow those lugs wear tight but anyway this is what I found see pics below. What does this mean? and what caused it? I know my axle vent fauled the break pads were clean

In the other pics its a pic of my inner bearing and seal whats your thoughts on the seal and how do I get the inner bearing off ? All help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks Bill

Attachments

BILLDEUCE

I believe its a mixture of diff oil and grease ? opions ?
At this rate I will not be making the breakfast man this stinks Im hoping for the best

BILLDEUCE

when i removed the outter hub cover I had diff oil come out it was the same color as the diff oil in the axle bearing not seated right thats how it was when I took it apart Im not sure should be all the way back against the shoulder ?

DieselBob

whats your thoughts on the seal and how do I get the inner bearing off ? All help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks Bill
I just used a small ball peen hammer and worked my way around the back of the seal. Of course this will make the seal unusable but I was replacing them all anyway. You also could use a crow bar and block of wood against the backing plate to pry the seal off.

Attachments

DieselBob

Most likely it is back as far as it goes. Once you take the seal and bearing off you will see there is a step that the seal sits on and won't go all the way back.

I have had gear oil from the rear end leak in to the bearings and have it look like that . I have been using a tan colored wheel bearing grease from Napa . when it leaks in to the bearing it starts washing off the wheel bearing grease . I could be wrong but the bearing looks to clean to be water .

I would Check the wheel cylinder for leaks repack bearings new seals if the wear ring is grooved replace it . then back together

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Billdeuce I would certainly check those bearings and races very carefully, I would first clean the bearing completely in parts washer and blow them dry then take a bright light and check the rollers AND inside the races they ride on. Be picky about the bearing/race condition as thsi will bite you hard! If you are not the one who put the 80/90 in the rear diffs I would also drain them and fill with NEW gear lube, then YOU know what you have. if bearing and races look good I would put in all "NEW" seals then the old inspected bearings to spec and you should be in good shape! If you find bad races and bearings then chances are likely they are all in the same condition! Good luck!
KK

3rdmdqm

so would you guys just clean it all backup repack the bearings and put it nack together then ?
Without seeing the bearings in person it's hard to tell, but looking at the photo of the bearing you provided several of the bearing rollers look scored. I would replace the bearings and races. You have it torn down this far, replace them and have peace of mind and a long lasting ride. :driver:

Not meaning to hijack this thread but im bout to fix an axle leak but if i remove the wheel to inspect the bearings on the other axles will i need to replace the outer seal just from removing it? If i wanted to repack the bearings is there a way to remove them without detroying the inner seal? Basically im asking should i just order a set of seals for all the axles since after seeing this i would like to inspect all of mine

jaxsof

And for what they do, and the pain in the nether regions it will cause should the fail while out-and-about, the bearings are really cheap, compared to some of the alternatives.

Shaun, outer axle seals shouldn't break the bank. If you are really patient you can repack the bearings by hand. (I prefer a packer, myself) But if there is oil in the bearing, you should seriously considder replcing the inner seals.

Motorcar

Gear oil leaking past the seal by the axle flange or the key way missing the cork plug, mixes with the grease and presto-messo. The inner seal on the spindle up against the brake backing plate is a tight fit and only keeps the dirt out of the bearing, it's not an oil seal since these are not wet bath (gear oil lubricated) bearings.

New seals are not expensive, one inner, one outer, repack the bearings and don't forget the cork plug. Some will argue for RTV...whatever...point is seal that spot. There are a couple of good threads with pictures on the search function and a PS article on cork plugs.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like Shell synthetic multipurpose grease (it is yellow) and the gear oil washed it out.
I would check bearings, repack, new seals and cork.
If bearings are ? then replace.
:beer:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the axle key cork if you can't find one or make one I just put the outer bearing back on after RR and then I use a peice of paper towel and fold/cram it in the keyway with a flat blade screwdriver that fit the keyway.
People put all kinds of stuff like silicone but that's to much trouble and must be super clean and I still don't think it's as good a paper towlel or cork.
Then put on the outer oil seal and that will hold cork/paper towel in place forever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks