• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what else fits?

grunex125

This might sound like a dumb hypothetical question here, but I just can't but wonder. In the older 800 series trucks we find the old work horse NHC-250 cummins. but today I was paging through the GL website and found several Hercules and litterally hundreds of detroit 92 series engines. Now my question here is since the 250 is getting to be obsolete. ( or is already in many peoples minds) what other engines would bolt up to that five speed transmission in the 800 series 5 tons? would that 92 series six cylinder work?

I was told a few years ago that the flywheel housings are somewhat standardized to fit in many different engines and transmission configurations......... anyone want to weigh in on this???

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have seen a ton of the V-8 Driptriots for sale....not so many V-6's.

The V-8 would be a hoss in the 5 ton but wedging it in there and keeping it cool might be an issue.

It would also suck the bottom out of the fuel tank.

grunex125

I have seen a ton of the V-8 Driptriots for sale....not so many V-6's.

The V-8 would be a hoss in the 5 ton but wedging it in there and keeping it cool might be an issue.

It would also suck the bottom out of the fuel tank.

Maybe I need to take a look at the gl listing again, I guess I thought the engines listed there were inline 6's.......I'll go back and look again later tonight when I get back from town.

grunex125

Well gents it looks like my wires got crossed earlier today when I was thinking about those Deeeeee Troits!....lol yup fer sure they would be a tough squeeze to fit into an 800 series truck, but my question still stands..... what about the Cat Acerts that were listed there? or perhaps an 855 Cummins? I mean aren't the 855's and the older 400 big cam II's and III's the same block and mounts? I'm sure it would take some redoing of the overflow tank and etc to allow for the needed space for the turbos and some rework on the linkages for throttle and wiring and etc. but my main question deals with "will it bolt up to the trans?" and sit in the same engine mounts? Or somewhat similar mounts?

I hate to bother you guys with these sort of what if questions, but I've been spending a lot of time in the cab of the 817 lately and I'm always thinking about what could be done if that engine goes out on me. "likewise with my other heavy equipment as well".

Last week we worked that truck hard hauling pond spoils from a pond we were cleaning out up to a corn field and I will say it earned my respect for the amount of work it did. maybe some pics soon.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fits

HI 125 yes the big cam 400 will fit,but better hold on!! it has lots more power.
I drove the M915A1 in cal guard once we had a 40' tlr with 2 m35a2's on it doing 55 mph up a grade here in ca,passing civ trks too.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fits 2

HI sorry just rememberd you might look into the series 60 detroit too (in line 6) its whats in the m915a3. I like cummins best myself.

p/s the only dumb question 125 is the one u dont ask hehe.:D

Dgeman

Any Cummins NTC engine should fit. I think you could find a 300 or 350 hp NTC in any truck junk yard yet. You'll have plenty of power too.

M813A1

Any Commeridal diesel Engine will fit, because the Bell housings are SAE standard and will bolt up to the trans !! Along with the bell housings the transmissions in commerical are SAE standard and you can also swap the trans as Well !!

grunex125

Any Commeridal diesel Engine will fit, because the Bell housings are SAE standard and will bolt up to the trans !! Along with the bell housings the transmissions in commerical are SAE standard and you can also swap the trans as Well !!

Thanks 813a1 that is just the answer I was looking to find out. I can pretty much handle any kind of swap with minor components. but I would hate to pull a 250 with the idea of dropping in say a 400 or so or 60 series detroit as was mentioned only to find out I'd have to change out the trans and mess with the drive train as well. Not to mention that would get pretty spendy.

Ya know how it is sometimes, you get to auctions or places where an engine is for sale and after a bit of consideration you decide that is the one you want in the truck when the engine does give out...... and it goes cheap so thats the one you use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks