• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What fuel mileage to expect from a 700R4 equipped Blazer?

superburban

I have a friend that is looking into buying a civi Blazer with the 6.2/700R4 combo. He asked me what mileage to expect from this truck, mostly freeway driving (<70mph). I told him that my TH400 equipped Suburban got 15mpg @ 70mph, so he could expect anywhere between 17-20. Is this too high?

Mangus580, I know that you have a 700R4 in your avatar truck, what do you get on the freeway? (I know that it wont be an "apples to apples" comparison, what with your truck having the turbo on it, but it will give me another data point."

mangus580

RE: What fuel mileage to expect from a 700R4 equipped Blazer

I dont have a turbo on mine as of yet... But I am lucky to get the 15 you are getting. 3.08 gears and Overdrive dont mix well.

I also think I have a tired IP.

My brother had a civvy 82 6.2/700R4 combo with the 3.08s, and on a trip to Va Beach, he got almost 32... On the way home it was a whole different story though!

superburban

Re: RE: What fuel mileage to expect from a 700R4 equipped Bl

mangus580 said:
I dont have a turbo on mine as of yet... But I am lucky to get the 15 you are getting. 3.08 gears and Overdrive dont mix well.

I also think I have a tired IP.

My brother had a civvy 82 6.2/700R4 combo with the 3.08s, and on a trip to Va Beach, he got almost 32... On the way home it was a whole different story though!
I thought I read somewhere that you had a 6.5 turbo setup on yours. My bad.

32MPG! What, is it downhill the whole way?

superburban

20 mpg would make my friend happy. He wants a "full size" for his work truck. He is a private building maintenance contractor and has been using a 2wd BroncoII for about 2 years now. It was tiny, and got lousy milage for something so small.

AJMBLAZER

If it's got stockish tires (29" 235/75R15) and 3.08 or higher highway gears than expect to see 20mpg easy around town. Guys report 25mpg easily with that setup on the highway. If it's got lower gears and/or bigger tires then expect a bit less.

20mpg even with the 31's and 3.73's would be totally doable.

CCATLETT1984

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
Your friend can always experiment with alternative fuels. Half used motor oil and half regular gasoline works great in a diesel engine.
NOT IN A CUCV, please check what truck is being talked about before posting. The 6.2L is NOT a multifuel. Some wmo in with DIESEL is ok, but ZERO GASOLINE.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When the M1009's were brand new we got around 24 MPG in convoy ops it was nice to get them as we had been running M915 convoys with M151's and that was not fun. On really long trips once we got away from the base we would load them up on one of the M872's that had room and ride in the cab of the trucks. The CUCV was a great improvement to say the least. Ours gets about 22 MPG on the highway with our 33 inch tires. we do not go over 55 in it either.

I have often thought about the possibility of putting the OD transmission I have in my HD 4X4 Diesel Suburban in the CUCV it would be interesting because we are always riding high on RPM at highway speed.

superburban

Well, I called him last night, and he bought the truck. It has just over 75k miles! He says that the engine has better pickup than what he was expecting, what with my description of the 6.2 as a "slug". He is thinking of installing a veggie conversion, like my suburban. I am excited to check it out, later today.

BobM

An added plus of the R-4 is that 1st gear is lower than a 400's 1st gear and that helps the 6.2 IMHO. It makes them a little less sluggish. I loved the R-4 in my 'burban 4X4 with a 6" lift. :)

superburban

I put a 700R4 into my Superburban about 2 months before I sold it, and I can attest to the improvement in drivability. I'll get the pics up as soon as I see it!

superburban

He got a good deal! He paid $900 for it! It has 3 like-new 31x10.5x15 goodyears on it, and one that needs to be replaced soon. It has power window that roll up and down fast, power locks that snap up and down, batteries that are little over a year old. I drove it around for about 20 minutes, and it shifts just right, has plenty of power, and sound good!

In my excitment I forgot to take pictures of it.

My friend is now tearing off the auto-locking hubs and installing some manuals. All it's going to need is a spare tire and wiper blades. I'd say he got a good deal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new to me, 91 Burb with the 700R4 and 6.2 gets right at 12 MPG. Much lower than I expected but I have some work to do. It has the stock 3.42 gears and 35" Mickey Thompsons. My plan is to drop down to a 33" tire and bump the gears to 4.10. According to the Grimmjeeper gear ratio calculator, with the factory 235/75R15 tires is was turning 1811 rpm at 65. With 4.10s and 33" rubber the same calculator puts the 65mph rpm at 1899 rpm. Right now if I can get to 65 I'm only at 1494 rpm. After that I'll look into maybe a new IP and injectors since they are unknown. The truck has about 155,000 miles. Was considering the 3.73 ratio but the 4.10s get me closest to the factory RPM and I will, on occasion, tow trailers.

superburban

After he bought the truck, he monkeyed around with the T-case, shifted into 4-HI, N, and 4-LO, then back to 2-HI, but he didn't know that you had to back up to get the auto-locker hubs to unlock. When he took off on the highway, he noticed that it felt a little more sluggish on the get-up-and-go meter. Then, when he got up to about 30 MPH, he heard a ratcheting noise in the front left followed by a big "POP!", then the power was back to normal, and the noise went away. Now, it does the "ratchet, POP" thing every once in a while right around 30 MPH. I thought it sounded like he blew the hub, so he stopped in at a Pick-N-Pull type place to get some manual hubs, but the only ones that would fit his truck, he couldn't get to come off. So he just got an auto-locker from another truck. Now that he installed the new(old) hub, it makes the "ratchet, POP" noise all the time!

What could the problem be?

Crash_AF

My 6.2/700R4 Suburban with a Banks kit gets about 20-24 MPG around town with a couple of 65-70 MPH runs up the highway, and that's with 235/85R16s.

The civvy trucks with the 6.2/700R4 didn't all get the 3.08 gears so it can handle the OD better.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks