• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What fuel?

Tscott9330

what kind of fuels do the multi fuel diesels run on besides diesel?

of those, what do you all run?

What have you run and did you notice any problems?

Also, can the non turbo trucks be converted to turbo? Would it produce any better power or were the turbos installed for emissions reasons?

Thanks,
Tom

acetomatoco

Mostly for emissions.. and the D model for noise... They will run on D2, D1, low test gas, low test Av gas and any mixture of the above.. some are running bio diesel and so forth...Gasoline should not be run for long distances by it self..add some engine oil or Diesel or peanut oil or something.. otherwise your exhaust stack will glow red and you can fry the turbo... unless you idle cool it down.... Of course, the approved fuels are on a dash data plate along with dimensions, weights, and max speeds and a plethora of other stuff... ACE

acetomatoco

I suppose that I should mention that if you are going to use alternate fuels you better make sure that the Compensator on the Injector Pump has not been bypassed allowing use of Diesel only....most trucks currently in service with rebuilt engines have been modified...About all of the Tooele rebuilds for example.. ACE

Westech

CPL
I run used ATF most part. I have run diesel, 87 gas, E85, used motor oil and new motor oil, off road diesel, kersoine, paint thinner (just a couple gallons to clean her out) gear oil, and a mix of all. I have run only gas befor and she runs good just a pain to start, no other problems.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run mine on a mix of diesel and gas on a regular basis. Too much gas, it gets a "hunt" at a hot idle and is a little slower to start on the first start of the day. I just add 1-5 gallons of diesel. Never ran ATF or WMO, only becaure of the possible metal content and filtering capability of the engine filters. I'm gonna pull the heads this weekend. The cylinders will tell the story of the combustion process along with the cylinder head face. I'll post some pics.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As is commonplace for a forum like this, questions and answers get repeated, so here again about the FDC.
It should really be called a fuel viscosity compensator and it has nothing to do with how the engine burns the fuel, it only adjusts the amount of fuel delivered.
The FDC is only calibrated for the fuels listed in the TM and adjusts the amount based on the viscosity of the fuel, if it's gasoline, more, if diesel, less. For the fuels listed, the BTU value is proportional to the viscosity, that's why it works and its purpose is to keep the enging power output the same regardless of the fuel used (of the ones listed in the TM).
Some fuels, most notably bio fuels (biodiesel and veggie oil), have a higher viscosity than the fuels listed in the TM, but have lower BTU values.
This means that the FDC actually works against the bio fuels and reduces the amount delivered when it should really have to increase it to be a universal solution.
For bio fuels, the FDC should be bypassed or "turned up".
Heating the fuel helps lower the viscosity and increase the delivery also.
Again, I tend to run off on a tangent, but you get the idea.

alphadeltaromeo

Re: RE: What fuel?

acetomatoco said:
I suppose that I should mention that if you are going to use alternate fuels you better make sure that the Compensator on the Injector Pump has not been bypassed allowing use of Diesel only....most trucks currently in service with rebuilt engines have been modified...About all of the Tooele rebuilds for example.. ACE
Can you provide a little more information for me? How do I know if that's been done? What do I look for?

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: What fuel?

Bjorn...from what you've commented in the past, you run your secondary tank when it reaches a temp at around 100 degrees if I recall correctly (open for correction of course)...have you done any sort of analysis to see how the deuce responds as the veggie oil in the 2nd tank increases in heat? What's the warmest it's gotten?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ACE, Cranetruck,

My truck has 'diesel fuel only' stenciled on the fuel tank. Can I assume it has been modified for diesel only? The engine in my truck is a spanking fresh rebuild- no oil anywhere, and a lot of new bolts in the tranny, oil pan, and pretty much everywhere in the drivetrain. If it is bypassed, can it be turned back on? or has it been permanently disabled?

I would love to start burning bio or WVO in it...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The second (=heated tank) will reach 140-145°F with the coolant running thru the heating coil. It will get to about 125° on its own on a hot summer day with the engine running, just from the warming effect of the return fuel.
The engine loves the warm fuel, hot veggie/bio diesel is almost as good as cold diesel. That's why I'm installing a heated primary filter in the xm757, which will make it even easier to start in cold weather (the xm757 also has the multifuel engine).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Adam, as far as I know the "modification" simply involves bypassing the FDC and will have zero effect on the way the engine burns the fuel. It's actually better set up for bio fuels that way as explained in the post above.

With the new "ultra low sulfur" diesel now sold, it's a good idea to add a gallon or two of veggie oil simply to improve the lubricity of the fuel. It can be fresh store bought veggie oil and need not be filtered further befor use, just dump it in the tank at fill-up.

Tscott9330

So basically these engines will run on almost anything flammable? That is good to know incase one is ever in a pinch. Thanks for all the good info fellas.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks