• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What gauge wire for front wire harness?

paramedic7831

wsucougarx

Most of the wire you find in a deuce is going to be 14 AWG. But use either. I found 500' spools of 12g for $30 shipped on ebay two years ago. So all my patch jobs are with 12 AWG. Man I wished I would have bought more!
Yes those are the correct connectors

paramedic7831

500 feet? I was thinkin I needed like 50 feet?!? Just need to pretty much rewire everything from back of engine ( not firewall) and up to headlights.

** Also do I need to use this particular wire PRESTOLITE? Or can i just use any 14 or 12 gauge AWG? I searched 14 gauge wire on ebay and showing lots of 14 gauge speaker wire? can I use this? seems like the original wire is rubber with some sort of cloth inside I'm assuming insulation.

Last edited:

armytruck63

Don't use speaker wire. It will not stand up well to the heat in the engine compartment.

There is a type of wire insulation that is resistant to gasoline etc., but if your wires are out of the way of the fuel system, this should not be a concern.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, there is a front harness (I think for the 427 trucks) that sells really cheap. It usually is under $50. Buy it and take it apart for the wire and connectors.

AN/ARC186

paramedic,

You don't need to use the prestolite wire, I don't like it much myself. I use Ancor marine grade wire, it looks close to the original but has a thermoplastic jacket that can handle the temps and oils under the hood. Ancor | Marinco

just my 2cents