• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What gear ratio?

rollcage

Well I have a stock 10 bolt 3.07 rear diff and th400 tranny combo, and today I thrashed a spider gear in the gov-lok. Can the gov-lok gears be replaced without removeing the locker? Also, I run 35inch tires, and I would like to re-gear. Has anyone re-geard to say a 4.56 in a 10 bolt/th400 combo before? I would like to have a great gear setup for wheeling and towing. Thanks for any input. :?:

2deuce

Get rid of the 10 bolt. Get the gearing you want in a 14 bolt. SF or FF either will be a big improvement. Keep the 10 bolt if you like small tires and light towing. 35's are too big.

DMgunn

Get rid of the 10 bolt. Get the gearing you want in a 14 bolt. SF or FF either will be a big improvement. Keep the 10 bolt if you like small tires and light towing. 35's are too big.
Agreed... the 10-bolt is a POS and the Gov-Lok is a bigger POS. Neither are suitable for 35s, towing OR wheeling - or worth the cost of a set of gears. You can bet your ass a couple guys will jump on saying they've wheeled or towed for 3,000,000 miles without a failure, but that would be the exception rather than the rule. Most guys who never break a 10-bolt "wheeling" have never actually been wheeling......wet grass doesn't count any more than a gravel road does.

The 9.5"? SF 14-bolt is the best option in terms of strength if you plan to keep the 6-lug bolt pattern. But if you ask for my opinion (oops, too late...) I would go with 1-tons...and never worry about it again, esp. since the GM versions are relatively inexpensive and plentiful.

rollcage

LOL, I think I’ve got it. From what I’ve read about the 10 bolt so far, isn’t the 10 bolt basically a dana 44? Differential wise?

rnd-motorsports

No the 10 bolt is weaker even a 44 is stronger. but if you want to go to 4:56 gears I would recomend 14 and 60 if he is looking for a good tow / and off road performance then I would go with 3:73 nice all around gear and still keep some miles per gallon now I myself would not put 4:56 gears in anything I want to drive daily at most 4:10's a good 44 and 14 bolt with 3:73 locker in back with 35 inch tires I think would make you happy! 2cents even going with a 12 bolt in the rear would be better!than a10

DMgunn

LOL, I think I’ve got it. From what I’ve read about the 10 bolt so far, isn’t the 10 bolt basically a dana 44? Differential wise?
It is very similar - as far as I can tell it's a lower-quality copy of the Dana 44 - think of GM as the Chinese doing a reverse-engineering job on something of quality into something more.......economical to produce...many similarities, but not identical for obvious reasons.

Hmm - brings back memories of the H1.......bastards ruined that too - permanently - by thinking their watered down copies could replace the real deal. Thanks GM. :x You're awesome.