• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What grease for M211 Pillow block ????

snowyrivers

I removed the Drive shaft pillow block from one of our Deuces to use on another project (Part Studebaker Weasel..Part Astro van...Part Snowcat.

The Truck has nearly zero miles on it, just 65 years of sitting so the pillow block spins nice, but after 65 years it needs to be torn down and cleaned..inspected and reassembled with fresh seals.

My question is WHAT IS THE BEST CURRENTLY AVAILABLE LUBE FOR THIS LITTLE BOX ????

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

snowyrivers

Thank you

I have not opened the unit yet, but am going to disassemble, clean and have a look see inside.

I am hoping the seals are a standard size as the ones in there are likely shot from age alone.

The assembly spins fine, but 65 years dictates that things need to be looked over well before this little beast goes on to it's new duty assignment..

I am using the rear axle assembly from a 1945 Weasel in a custom Snowcat with a nearly intact Astro van as the cab/powertrain.

I needed a pillow block to aid in getting my driveline angle where it needs to be in relation to the Weasel rear axle.

Thanks for the input.

snowyrivers

Are the seals and bearings a standard part or something suitable available ???

Would seem that these parts would still be around.

Any common seal part numbers out there troops ???

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your best bet on the seals is to grab your caliper and get an ID measurement on the bore and an OD measurement on the yoke, and bring that info to your local bearing house for them to get you fixed up.

snowyrivers

Hey

Stopped off at the local bearing supply.

The seals that were originally used (3/4 thick) are no longer available, but there are 3/8 thick seals that have the proper inner and outer size... I ordered 4 seals and will just stack them double in the bore.

The bearings are perfect, so no worries...Just wash them up good and repack with soft EP grease.

I have some in tubes that is ORANGE and about like soft butter on a warm day...Should be sweeeeeet..

The bearings are 4308 with a snap ring groove..Standard stuff.

Thanks for the heads up...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks