• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What happened to Reverse

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone needs to drop the drama in the forums, everybody.

One more (unneeded)comment and Kenny's thread disappears.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just wish everyone would let it go. Its bad for the site in general. If you don't have anything nice to sat STFU. (To para phrase :mrgreen:).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry Kenny, I agree that it sounds parking brake related, but it sounds by your description that it isn't. Someone mentioned an axle brake being froze, that could do it too. Have you put the Tcase in neutral and the trans in reverse to see if the short shaft spins? That could narrow it down for you.

jaxsof

Just an unknowing question, but doesn't that T-Case have a set of sprags in it that could have decided it was just too cold to play?

Oh, BTW, just 'cause they dont complain about it, inanimate objects do feel wind chill, how else would your engine keep cool (fan / radiator) ?

midcounty

I had this same thing happen to me today. I fired up the truck, let it run for ten minutes or so, drove it next door(about half a mile or so), shut it down for a few minutes with parking brake set. Then I started it back up, let oil pressure level off, disengaged brake, put it in reverse, and low and behold it wouldn't move. I put it in neutral and let out on clutch, just to make sure trans wasn't stuck in a forward gear, but it was ok there. I put it in 1st and had no problems going forward. I inched it up a couple times, tried reverse again with no luck, then went a few feet in 1st, and problem went away. I then drove it about 10 miles or so with no more issues. I think the brake was the problem, but I never crawled under it to check.

jaxsof

OK, a challenge. to the weatherwatch one, hang a steak out in the wind and see if it only cools to the ambient temp.

To Wiki, well it is a cool source of information, but even I can edit it!

And NOAA's example, "If the temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is blowing at 15 mph, the wind chill is -19 degrees Fahrenheit. At this wind chill temperature, exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes" , at 0* flesh can freeze in 30 minutes without wind! and "The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit." If your skin is exposed to this, it may feel like -31, but trust me, when you reach -5, you will become inanimate, too, and you will not become any colder

If for some reason you don't believe this, read #9 "
9. Is it possible to get frostbite if the temperature is above freezing but the wind chill is below freezing?
The air temperature has to be BELOW freezing in order for frostbite to develop on exposed skin. Wind chill can bring the temperature to below freezing for humans and animals. " Even while you're still alive, it is ambient temperature that is the limiting factor. You cannot cool below what it really is!

and just because it "feels" like its 15*, doesn't make it 15* and without the effect of that moving air, your radiator will not cool, will it? Oh, give it a try sometime, PLEASE!!

or, maybe you can explain to my dumb arse just how that moving air does remove the heat.

The way wind chill is determined is with wet bulb temperature, kinda like dew point and heat index. It is a perceived event, only.

Sorry Kenny, I, too think it probably was your parking brake, but you try to interject a little humor, and somebody ALWAYS has to call you it

Last edited:

URSATDX

Same symptoms on my A3 on Sunday. It was cold. No issues until I tried to back up.
With the Allison trans I was a bit nervous about any issue in reverse.
No doubt had plenty of power to the rear wheels.
I completely rebuilt the service brake a year ago. (Those stinking springs.)
Hoping it was a bit of ice.
These old posts are great reference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks