• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What has your 6.2 pulled ? MPG's ??

crewcab88

I am a new owner of a 6.2 from a M1008. It was a rock crawler and it took a hard flop on it's side and broke the frame. So I grabbed a hold of it ! But I was wondering if you guys and gals could post pictures of what you have pulled or moved with your CUCV ? Also was wondering what MPG I should see out of this motor. It's in a 88 Crew Cab Chevy with a full manual valve body 4L80, Dana 70 and 4:56 front and rear ! Thanks for keeping us safe and serving our country ! [thumbzup]

Cucvnut

so its a Dana 70 and not a 14FF in the rear? if you search you will find right down the list a thread about MPG's in your cucv. since you did not state what size tires are on this thing since its not stock I really don't know. also you have a 4l80 which will help but most here dont so i think your going to have it figure it out. I have 37's on mine about get about 11 mpg on the freeway.

UNIMOG-GUY

I towed both of my unimogs on my trailer (at separate times) with it multiple times. It was like it wasn't even there. It rode alot better loaded.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flatbed trailer with a tractor back hoe, 3 Yard dump trailer full of AA road gravel, Countless stumps, Right now its hooked up to a trailer pulling a 28' tandem RV on its way the the UP of Michigan. As long as you don't fill up with BIO Diesel the MPG's are the same with or with out a load maybe 5 miles difference tops.

crewcab88

Very cool ! Keep'um coming !! Yes I have a 4L80 and it had a 14 FF in the rear but I found a super deal on a dually 1 ton so I converted mine from a srw to drw.

I was/am hoping for a lot better MPG out of this motor than the 454 it replaced !

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MY M1028A2 dually with 4:56 gears, get 15 mpg AT 60 mph and below. ABOVE 60 mph, it's 10 mpg...

THAT's from two long road trips... so that should be what you get out of your 6.2L diesel running a TH400 and 4:56 gears...

OH, check your PM's. I'm trying to start NTMVCC and would like for you to consider joining...

jim

Stonepicker1

My M1028 has pulled a flat bed trailer with two M101A3's from IL to FL,
Pulled a flat bed trailer with a M1028A2 dually X 2 from MI to FL.
Pulled a gooseneck trailer loaded with household goods from FL to MD
Pulled a M4K forklift on a gooseneck trailer.
M1028A2 pulled a flat bed trailer with a PU-406 30 KW generator and a 6.5L engine in the can in the back of the bed from AL to FL.
CUCV-II pulled a gooseneck trailer with a CUCV-II crew cab from CA to FL.
CUCV-II just made a trip to AL and GA then home to FL with a crane an AC's kit.

And a lot more.

Attachments

wkbrdngsnw

4000 lb, m-1009 with turbo, 33" tires, 3.08 gears over 10,000 ft at about 45 mph and averaged 16 mpg on the trip. Equal or better than any 350 of the era in towing power.

Attachments

fuzzpuss

a little heavy

I pulled a 6900 pound crane counter weight with my 1009. sorry didnt think to get any pictures of it loaded into the uhaul trailer with both axles sagging to support the load. but got 20 mpgs with it in there. I usually get 23 mpgs on the hwy with it.... been to north Dakota and back.

Last edited:

kenz5380

I don't tow much, but I regularly put about 1000 lbs in the bed. My 1008 doesn't even notice it. Mine is still naturally aspirated, but I have 3.73 gears that I swapped into mine for the purpose of better drivability. I regularly get 20 mpg+ unloaded and mixed in town and highway driving.

Shankem-Deep

Recent camping trip. Two RZR's around 1000 pounds apiece, plus the 12' trailer maybe 1200 pounds. Plus all of our gear. I would guess 3800 pounds total. It was enough to make my tranny get hot and slip. I need to install an external tranny cooler.

Attachments

biggestc69

Tranny cooler is a must. An external tranny cooler made all the difference in the world. After installing my tranny temp gauge I was suprised at how hot the tranny would get, even with the factory cooler. Just slightly slipping it offroad in high side it would jump up over 200 degrees. Once it got that high it would never come down while running. It would hold that temp until I shut it off and let it sit. I installed a Hayden heavy duty cooler in front of the bumper and bypassed the radiator cooler. I towed my boss's M1008 about 15 miles to my house up some pretty steep hills and it never got over 165. After I pulled it I let it idle and it brought it down to around 150 where it usually runs. Long story short, tranny temp gauge and external cooler for any towing!

chevyCUCV

Recent camping trip. Two RZR's around 1000 pounds apiece, plus the 12' trailer maybe 1200 pounds. Plus all of our gear. I would guess 3800 pounds total. It was enough to make my tranny get hot and slip. I need to install an external tranny cooler.
I bet you have more problems than your cooler.
I towed 8-9k with no problems before. Also just last week i towed 5k with 1k in my bed. no issues whatsoever

Shankem-Deep

I bet you have more problems than your cooler.
I towed 8-9k with no problems before. Also just last week i towed 5k with 1k in my bed. no issues whatsoever
You may be right, but the only time my tranny ever slips is after pulling something for awhile. I also have those heavy 37" H1 wheels and tires so that doesn't help. I may drain my tranny fluid and add some Lucas treatment on top of adding the external cooler. I'm holding off a tranny rebuild as long as possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks