• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What has your 6.2 pulled ? MPG's ??

Shankem-Deep

That would be awesome to. When the time comes to do something about the tranny, I will look at doing a swap like that. As far as the 6.2 goes, it's not a power house but it has been reliable and gets descent mileage. I'll driver till she quits!

The 6.2 is a decent out of the box power plant for one ton and under Chevy trucks. We have a ex federal one ton dump truck with a 6.2 in it. I used it to recover a 1947 Dodge Five ton dump truck. I towed the trailer and truck up and down some very steep hills. That 6.2 performed extremely well. I have adjusted it to keep factory settings and replaced the injectors but had no major problems. In my M1009 I get about 14 to 17 MPG, In the dually dump truck I get 12 to 14 Mpg. My Federal Suburban gets 15 to 19 Mpg. If I can pull 14K of truck and 2.5K of trailer and the weight of a 11,700K dump truck with a stock 6.2 properly maintained the military non egr 6.2 can be a nice little power plant As you can guess I own four 6.2 powered trucks. I have come to appreciate that power plant.
:wink:

Attachments

I forgot, we had a 6.5 newer truck we got off the GSA with a turbo, I still like my old 6.2 non turbo. it was not as fast but the 6.2 had nothing but problems when we over worked it.

TVOLLMER

with my Stock m1008 I have towed around 9k more then once and have never had problems, never broke any speed records but it pulled it. A few times a year i pull my 22' travel trailer, on the scale its about 5500lbs loaded, and can pull around 20 mpg consistantly. i Just swaped in a built 700r4, we will see what happens with fuel economy and towing performance.

I was looking through my factory manuals, did you know there was a 6.2 used in the early GMC top kick five ton trucks. The engine was not just for their light duty line.

Cletus09

I normally get 20 or so MPG driving in a teenager like way in my m1009 wit 3.08 gears and no overdrive. I towed an m1008 over the hill in Pennsylvania, and it was all the poor blazer could handle, but it got us home with 14-15 MPG.

Keith_J

Well, on this weekend's trip, my 1031 averaged 14 with a stiff headwind and doing 65 MPH. Yes, some think this is too high RPM for the engine but it is rated for 3600 RPM maximum LOADED governed speed. As long as the harmonic balancer is fresh, this speed isn't an issue, it is under 3200 RPM so it isn't max out.

On the return trip, with no headwind and doing 60 MPH, it was about 18 MPG. I had to do some errands around town before refilling so that might have reduced it a bit.

Atwater

with the 5 speed i get 17-18 typically empty and 12.5 mpg grossing somewhere around 15-16k
seems like it tends to want to be wound out rather than be babied along. 60mph seems to be the sweet spot for cruising. 2cents

truck1

I get 17-20 MPG in my 1028 if i keep it @ 65 or less. The Gearvendor helps BIG TIME with mileage and RPM reduction. The GV knocks the RPM's down about 500. I love my truck!:mrgreen:

Corvette1974

During a trip to the pine barrens at a constant speed of 55, with three dirt bikes in the back my 36,000 mile M1028 gets about 20 MPG. Im sure give or take a few but its around there.

Will

truck1

Corvette1974, when I drove my 1028 home from LA after purchase I also got 20-21 MPG @ 55. Gotta love these rigs. You have to be constant on upkeep but if they are dialed in they are awesome. I never drive my Ram 2500 anymore(gasser) and the CUCV beats it on mileage and performance off road but not on comfort.But with the price of fuel I don't care about A/C.

Stalwart

I hauled a 13,600 lb. offshore powerboat and trailer behind my 6.2 in the hilly Pacific North West. That said, the 6.2 was in my '93 Hummer. :cookoo:

Last edited:

Draco-87

Got a m1009 and i Replaced my th400 with a 700r4 (stock 3.08 gears) drove 126 miles to the beach through the mountians and used half a quarter tank of fuel. I have learned to keep it out of over drive in town (milage realy goes down in over drive) Going to change gears for towing, Looking to 3.73 to 4.11 range and see how the fuel milage goes. By the way i have the th400 with transfer case for sale.

Attachments

max1008

Pulled my 101 trailer with 12sq of shingles and loaded 30 sheets of 4 ply plywood + 5 sq shingles in the bed. Drove fine, only went about 30 miles so I'm not sure of mileage.

shaker

M1009 Mpgs or lack there of?

Hi everyone I am new to this site. I need some major help and perhaps somebody could help me. I own a 1985 M1009 that I bought from my real mother I have been wearing her down for the last 10 years and finally she broke and let me buy it on the promise that I would not take away from the truck such as with a big lift kit, and ect. Now before buying the truck she swore that the truck was getting 22-25 mpgs constantly at 55 mph. The truck was sitting up since 2006, I got it a few months back and done a major tune up, changing fuel lines, all vac lines, ect. Now the truck is running great but the mpgs are no where near what I was told. I have been reading that people are getting 20 plus mpgs, but I am getting around 12-14 mpgs (14mpg only once). I drive it at 55 mph like I was told, but I just do not know what is going on. I am using the stock tires size actually the same tires as she had on it BF Goodrich At Ko 31x10.50x15. I am starting to believe that people are over estimating the mpgs a bit I get around 230 miles to about 17 gallons of fuel which is around 13.5 mpgs but that is the normal for me. I drive it a daily driver back and forth to work which is about 20 mile trip with mixed highway and city traffic. I live in Louisiana by the way not sure if that helps. But Please if anyone can help by all means

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks