• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't doubt it's true the truck could take it, I've never see a M939 truck w/ separate cross country / highway load ratings. M35 and M813, sure... (And the 813's used the same axles IIRC, so why the labeling changed I don't understand.)

gottaluvit

While I don't doubt it's true the truck could take it, I've never see a M939 truck w/ separate cross country / highway load ratings. M35 and M813, sure... (And the 813's used the same axles IIRC, so why the labeling changed I don't understand.)
I did see it before on an M51 and an M817. I just assumed they realized it was harder on the truck. Regardless, I will go with the lightest rating considering any repairs come out of my pocket. Not like I have a blank check handed to me like our tax dollars do for defense spending. And (yes, an incorrect sentence) I have done declared the gvwr at 34,000 lbs, so that is what I must adhere to.

big block 88

Just looked at our A1 and a friend is checking his 817. My plate looks the same as yours only one rating. The 817 he claims has 2 ratings but i also claimed the same. My father with 33 years active duty in Armor claims the 939 series trucks had the change in data on lates which affected the trucks they used for supply of fuel ammo parts whatever so in training camp they kept an 817 around to haul more.

The trucks are for sure safe at double the rating on the highway as 5 ton is its cc rating. But i understand what you are saying about your claimed weight. We claim no more than 55k on our 5 tons and 30k for the old deuces.

Ford Mechanic

I just looked at mine also and it only showed 10k! Like someone else said, it shows on road and off road on the plate. I've got to check the TM now! I know i've seen it somewhere. I'll post a pic when I find it.

Crap my laptop's at work. .. I'll check tomarrow. Should be in the operators TM

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I wonder now how much my state would charge for the extra 10,000 lbs. While on the subject of weight, does the declared weight stand as a total for truck and trailer, or does the trailer plate (no gvwr was asked) cover it's weight?
In NC the truck tag covers the truck and trailer plus all payload. Trailer tag only shows you've paid taxes on the trailer. Campers are exempt from weight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did a little towing today. Something that weighs 13000lbs was on my rear bumper. If it weighs that much. The 250 pulls it and hardly notices. I hate how narrow the A3 is. All i could see are the boggers sticking out on the side even though it is tall the troop seats still make it hard to see.

https://youtu.be/OZ7suqDKAnQ

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

big block 88

Man that old 250 has you cookin right along. I have never gone flat out with our a1 but it will barry 60 easily. Im very impressed with the power. I had driven plenty of a2 trucks with the 8.3 in iraq and was always amazed with how gutless they felt keeping up in a convoy was not easy when loaded skids. Then again our maintance system was horrid. Great mechanics soldier and civilians as well as local nationals but understaffed and over taxed sums up our base. USMI-C was home

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran my a1 down the interstate yesterday and my wife ask how fast will it run so I said lets find out. The truck ran 72mph using gps and I quickly brought her back to 55.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran my a1 down the interstate yesterday and my wife ask how fast will it run so I said lets find out. The truck ran 72mph using gps and I quickly brought her back to 55.
David,
Not to be rude, but your "a1 WHAT???"

Your motor pool inventory in in your signature block shows no "a1" of any M-Series. Just curious WHAT you ran down the highway in sin there could be several qualifying models under this thread's 5-Ton catch-all.

Thanks.

WYomer

Don't you just love it when you tell them "5 tons" and they always overload you. I guess they figure they aint paying the fine. It can't be that hard to know the weight of what size aggregate fills the bucket of the front end loader. I was very tempted to drive back to the pile and tip the gate, but didn't want to seem cocky being I knew I would be back.

I know I can load 20K but 13.5K I had to air up to 60lbs in my tires and it was 1 bucket. I think I could squeeze 1.5 for the full load and not lose to much going down the road but its only 22 miles from my house to the pit. I just go tot work run over and load at lunch, head home and unload. about $58 a load Truck ran like a champ but I could feel the weight in the brakes so I was good at 13.5K.

Plus in Wyoming my truck cost me $258 a year registration and GEICO comercial 100mile radius $270 a year insurance.

how do you do pictures I have a couple?

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Don't you just love it when you tell them "5 tons" and they always overload you. I guess they figure they aint paying the fine. It can't be that hard to know the weight of what size aggregate fills the bucket of the front end loader. I was very tempted to drive back to the pile and tip the gate, but didn't want to seem cocky being I knew I would be back.
From the TM 9-2320-272-10 Page 0002-1

"The 5-ton load limit rating of M939/A1/A2 series vehicles does not mean these vehicles are limited to 5-ton payloads.
A vehicle rating only indicates the maximum amount of cargo weight the vehicle axles and frame can withstand when
operating under the worst cross-country conditions."

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well i'll be darned. Now im gonna go look at mine. Im sure mine is different with seperate weights for cc and hwy maybe im the one who read it wrong and im thinking of deuces. I will get back with you
What model is the data plate in this photo from? I can't make it out with the glare. I thought all M939 series data plates where rated 10k only?

M925A2 with dump hoist

gottaluvit

If you mean mine with the red data plate, it is M929A2. You can click on the pics after opening and then zoom, but I didn't even get the model in the pic as that part was glaring real bad. I am self employed and investments are my primary income so I prefer to load light and spend the extra time and fuel making two trips and babying my truck. I hate down time. I want it always ready when I am.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks