• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mos68x

Mos, thanks! But, I don't know if I want to hear you say "buff" and sexy in the same sentence when talking about me! But hey, I'll take the compliments wherever they come from. They are getting harder to come by.

For a size comparison, check this picture out. Puts it in perspective. The guy isn't very tall, ironically, he had his son on FaceTime, a marine serving in the Middle East. God bless him and his family. Don't know either of them, but, I did take time to talk to the boy. Anyway, check out the size diff.

View attachment 686996View attachment 686997

Now, this is interesting. My truck is more gutless at low rpm, low range than any other 5 ton I have driven. I thought adding 16's Would possibly be a mistake because of the increased size and difficulty turning the wheel to get up to speed.

Not only was it not a problem, it helped the performance. I have plenty of video that is with a stopwatch of me going 0 to 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 with 14.00's. I will do the same with 16.00's as soon as I figure out what 10,20,30 etc actually is on my speedo, since it changed.

I can still cruise at 65 (gps verified) get to 70.3 on a downhill (I don't think I could do that before). So speed isn't negatively effected.

More on all this later.
Lmao not YOU! Yer TRUK! Lmao

if you already have a video for 0-60 for the 14s, why take a video of the GPS speedo? Might be more difficult for me since my cameras and GPS both are on the same device...my phone lol

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just took a screenshot or two of me cruising at 70.4 and 65 on the flats. I'll do another video of 0-10,20,30 etc on the speedo, but, I'll have to mark where 10,20,30,and so on really is on the speedo since it is no longer accurate. 60 indicated is 65 actual now.

Curious how the tire tire size changes performance. Was surprised to see an increase in low end acceleration.

someoldmoose

Bwana, looks AWESOME. I had originally thought about the BFTs when I get to "singling out" ( no copyright, freeware) Exit Strategy. Was advised that I'll have almost no articulation of the bogey without mashing the van body and she'll be a site over 12 feet tall at the crow's nest. Any input ?

Simp,. Yer conversion is awesome too. I always switched out the "old fashioned" flip switch on any air braker I got stuck with that had it. Bumped one the first week driving "pro" and hadda be "rescued" by Road Service. Boss = NOT happy tuh get THAT bill. Anyway, looks good and a much better positive feedback as to whether applied or not.

Excellent work y'all.

On the home front, got word that my "number came up" and Exit Strategy is getting moved to Eastern Surplus's shop for her Great Reawakening. I'm like a dang 4 yr. old a few days before Ol' Sandy Claws comes a sliding down my smokestack. Thanks Steve and all them thar that I ain't met yet. Ready to jump in with both feet. Jist giddy as a school girl !!!!! Hope y'all REALLLLLY like lots pics. Hope none of em are of me throwin muh phone across the parkin lot. See y'all in a funny papers.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the luxury of being able to raise my bed, which I will be doing. A 4x4x11ga or maybe 3/16. I'm sure either would be fine.

someoldmoose

Affirmative, makes sense. Not that I doubted my source in any way. Just checking real world. I am sure 395s will be plenty. The debate about giddy ap might we'll have to do with tire CONSTRUCTION more than size. Less rolling resistance in the more modern tire. Hits the "sweet spot" in the torque curve juuuuust a hair quicker. Racing rule, a hundreth means the diff. between win and loss.

gottaluvit

I just took a screenshot or two of me cruising at 70.4 and 65 on the flats. I'll do another video of 0-10,20,30 etc on the speedo, but, I'll have to mark where 10,20,30,and so on really is on the speedo since it is no longer accurate. 60 indicated is 65 actual now.

Curious how the tire tire size changes performance. Was surprised to see an increase in low end acceleration.
The difference will be a percentage. Just figure out the difference at 50 mph and go from there for the other "10s". If it is off by 6 mph at 50 than there is a 12% difference. I used to do this the old school way with all the beater point A to point B vehicles I have owned. Had to use mile markers to see how many tenths of a mile I was off and go from there. Now we have fancy electronics making US mentally lazy.

Mos68x

The difference will be a percentage. Just figure out the difference at 50 mph and go from there for the other "10s". If it is off by 6 mph at 50 than there is a 12% difference. I used to do this the old school way with all the beater point A to point B vehicles I have owned. Had to use mile markers to see how many tenths of a mile I was off and go from there. Now we have fancy electronics making US mentally lazy.
That's what I do too, used it when I had to fix an old Ford speedo that was just a little off. Figured out how far off by percentage and then transferred that to the tooth count to figure out a corrected tooth count. I kinda doubt it'll be that easy to find something to correct these beasts though since these are "rare".

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mmm, maybe not lazy. Just "easier informed". Back then you had to work for any answer you wanted. Figure it out, or go get a dictionary or go to the library.

[FONT=.SF UI Text]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Mos68x

Mmm, maybe not lazy. Just "easier informed". Back then you had to work for any answer you wanted. Figure it out, or go get a dictionary or go to the library. [FONT=.SF UI Text][/FONT]
Yeah, before all we had was a speeding ticket to tell you how fast you were going, unless you had a friend in the police which was unlikely lol. At least now we can use our phone's GPS and download a speedo app, way cheaper than a speeding ticket lol

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
After you are behind the wheel of your truck for more than about 5 hours of just normal driving you should know how fast you are going even without a speedometer, gps or anything other than your senses. shifts into 5th at 44 to 47mph so that's a give away. a truck with 395s @ 2200rpms is 59/60mph. with 14.00s its dead on at 2000rpms 1600s should be around 1850 to 1900. You should also know your engine noise at certain speeds. Yes I know going 45 on city streets in a 5 ton feels like your on a speedway at times.

I have never had a speedometer that was operable in any 5 ton I have ever used. let's face it. It is depressing watching the mph rise and fall so fast when you go up and down hills.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
After you are behind the wheel of your truck for more than about 5 hours of just normal driving you should know how fast you are going even without a speedometer, gps or anything other than your senses. shifts into 5th at 44 to 47mph so that's a give away. a truck with 395s @ 2200rpms is 59/60mph. with 14.00s its dead on at 2000rpms 1600s should be around 1850 to 1900. You should also know your engine noise at certain speeds. Yes I know going 45 on city streets in a 5 ton feels like your on a speedway at times.

I have never had a speedometer that was operable in any 5 ton I have ever used. let's face it. It is depressing watching the mph rise and fall so fast when you go up and down hills.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure my truck turns about 1750-1800 at 60 with 14s. Now I'm going to have to check

Mos68x

Fortunately for me, my speedo works and is spot on...for now lol that'll change when I change out to the dual rears

On a side note, is the speedo adapter supposed to be all loose and wobbly? I don't think so but can't see any self evident way to tighten it up...unless I have bolts covered in mud that I've not seen

gottaluvit

Fortunately for me, my speedo works and is spot on...for now lol that'll change when I change out to the dual rears

On a side note, is the speedo adapter supposed to be all loose and wobbly? I don't think so but can't see any self evident way to tighten it up...unless I have bolts covered in mud that I've not seen
Mine was so sloppy it quit working. Took it apart and shimmed it up with a regular washer and it is working great with no bounce.

I had gotten used to none but like Simp said, it feels like you are flying at low speeds in town.

vtdeucedriver

Pulled a fuel tank on my 1967 M-54A1 so it could be cleaned. I got it back today so hoping to get it back on this weekend and change a couple of filters and close out my fuel issue. Then its on to getting the brakes back up after 2 yrs of sitting.

someoldmoose

Made the final payment. Exit Strategy is now MINE, at least financially. Waiting for the title so I can arrange insurance and registration. Once Eastern Surplus does their CPR (Comprehensive Pretransfer Reconnaissance) she'll be picked up and brought "home". I thought I was anxious before, . . . That was nothing. Now I just wanna get my HOSAS ( Hands On Steering wheel And Stick shift) and get to gettin'. It's been many, many moons since I've done an adventure. This is gonna be a story for the ages.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks