• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On to the water pump...

So apparently this is the only picture I have of the water pump. This is the water pump cavity if you've never seen it. Use a new copper seal and antisieze around the surfaces. Moving on...

20170729_201836.jpg

Old thermostat. May as well replace it while the coolant is drained.

20170730_143016.jpg

All cleaned up with new inner seal installed.

20170730_144542.jpg

New thermostat properly fitted and tested on the stove.

20170730_144651.jpg

New long overflow hose from tank to radiator...just because I had one.

20170730_150010.jpg

New coolant, SCA additive and filter. Couldn't find my test strips and had to buy more. Par for course...again. I also ran an inspection camera through the radiator while it was empty. I was prepared to put in a new one at this point if it was in bad shape. Very happy that this one looked perfect inside. No scale or build-up anywhere.

20170730_153818.jpg

All new belts.

20170730_022506.jpg

Replaced the heater hoses.

20170730_140939.jpg

And added the hood handle reinforcement tabs I forgot to put on when I replaced the hood.

20170730_171954.jpg

Oil and filter change.

20170807_173827.jpg

New driver side axle boot.

20170817_212929.jpg

And a shakedown run to the Dairy Queen.

20170730_175438.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've been BUSY, Swamp Donkey! :beer:

The busy part was life getting in the way. I put it back in its place though. The repairs were made during a 13 hour marathon using the little time I had. Plenty more to do this weekend. Two days after I fixed all the leaks, the front/front pinion seal starts throwing oil, lol.

He's been very quiet ! I thought the gooberment had finally caught him . Lol
Swampy you didn't say anything about a big radar on roof. Lol
No abductions Ken. If there had been, you'd of seen it first with the satellite you've got orbiting over my garage. :mrgreen:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need a what did you do to your 915 today.
Today I ordered all new slack adjusters for the 915. Dang military had the wrong slack adjusters on four of the wheels and two were FUBAR. Also had to order the two washers and one retaining C clip that held on the drivers side slack adjuster because it was missing. I am starting to believe that if you get a truck that went through a work order you need to check there work for mistakes. Mine was done at Red River. Love my truck just hate redoing what someone else screwed up.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the front/front pinion seal. No disassembly pictures because I was preoccupied removing all the Orange RTV that had been used for that gasket. Seriously, there had to be a whole tube in there. Both oil passages were completely sealed with it. That front bearing had some oil in the cavity but it hasn't seen fresh oil in a long time. That little bit of oil was as black as diesel oil, and looked nothing like what came out when I changed the oil last year. The excessive use of RTV is a pet peave of mine for this very reason...

The gasket couldn't be salvaged but was in good enough shape to use as a template to cut a new one. I used some 3M spray adhesive to anchor the new gasket to the cover and some Green Permatex RTV rated for gear oil on the differential side.

Went on a 20 mile shake-down run with no signs of oil from the seal or cover. Now to clean up the rest of the oil that got slung all over the place when it failed.

20170818_160708.jpg

Csm Davis

Need a what did you do to your 915 today.
Today I ordered all new slack adjusters for the 915. Dang military had the wrong slack adjusters on four of the wheels and two were FUBAR. Also had to order the two washers and one retaining C clip that held on the drivers side slack adjuster because it was missing. I am starting to believe that if you get a truck that went through a work order you need to check there work for mistakes. Mine was done at Red River. Love my truck just hate redoing what someone else screwed up.
You haven't read all the bad things that have come out of Red River? I will avoid them like the plague. I have seen to many straight from RRAD have major problems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the truck and the drone for a ride through the fields yesterday to scare a few trees. I fiddled with some of the automated flying modes for the first time. These were shot using Active Track, which let's you pick an object for the drone to follow. It lost me a couple times when I was in the trees but that's to be expected with a vehicle painted to blend with the surroundings. Shot in 4K but I think YouTube only allows 1080p.

https://youtu.be/5wQ9xfZ-EbQ

https://youtu.be/2OsVqXt9nmI

https://youtu.be/WQjX5Lm9tW4

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:(

Dont be dissin' my ride homie!

I am sure they have had their fair share of problems, but the good ones never get noticed. Nobody ever posts "My RRAD didn't break down today! Dadgum RRAD trucks!"

Just sayin, that's all. My RRAD was done quite well.

dont worry, I don't take it personally. :)

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SD are you using a Mavic Pro? That's so cool, I gotta do that!

while using the "tracking" can you also maneuver it, like manually make it circle you or fly ahead or behind?

I gotta do more with mine. I feel guilty about how little I have used it.

In my defense, it's really hot outside, and humid and I'm a big huge baby when it comes to heat. :).

Last edited:

tobyS

My 2012 RR Rebuild M931A2 appeared to have a last minute knife cut on wires in the engine compartment...appeared to be a sharp knife but they didn't go entirely through all the wires. This couldn't have been accidental...and it was hidden from view. Otherwise I'm impressed with the quality of the rebuild. Fuel, rpm and tranny shifting need adjusted on this tractor.... but I would have expected them to be set low. My 929 needs that too.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SD are you using a Mavic Pro? That's so cool, I gotta do that!

while using the "tracking" can you also maneuver it, like manually make it circle you or fly ahead or behind?

I gotta do more with mine. I feel guilty about how little I have used it.

In my defense, it's really hot outside, and humid and I'm a big huge baby when it comes to heat. :).
Yes, it's a Mavic Pro. Any of the tracking modes can be seamlessly adjusted on the fly with the tracking not being affected. It will just keep tracking at the new angles or speeds you change. For instance, when the drone panned around the truck in the field and changed elevation in the trees, it was because I made those adjustments.

The hard part is trying to do it while driving, even though it's flying itself. Obstacle detection is only in the front, and to get close to the ground for a side profile shot requires it to fly sideways, so you can still run into things in the different modes. The different modes and settings seem almost infinite and can be a bit overwhelming when you've got other things going on. Just a matter of finding something that works for what you want.

I'll do some more videos soon. I was just trying some things out to see what worked best. I was out there for over an hour and only ended up with about 7 minutes of good video. It's not the Mavic's fault at all. It's amazing some of the things it can do. You just have to know how to tell it what you want it to do. I've got some more practicing to do on that end...

20170820_120413.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2012 RR Rebuild M931A2 appeared to have a last minute knife cut on wires in the engine compartment...appeared to be a sharp knife but they didn't go entirely through all the wires. This couldn't have been accidental...and it was hidden from view. Otherwise I'm impressed with the quality of the rebuild. Fuel, rpm and tranny shifting need adjusted on this tractor.... but I would have expected them to be set low. My 929 needs that too.
You think RRAD did that? Or you think GL/GP (whoever you bought it from) did that? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen employees at auction places rigging the vehicles to fail so they could buy them cheap...or messing up vehicles when they go too cheap..... ****, I paid $900 for an M1010 at a local auction, and I should have got it for $100, but an EMPLOYEE of the auction company was bidding for 'himself'.. I don't even know how that's legal/ethical but, meh....It was clear to me he was only bidding to raise the price....

****, when I was younger and dumber, I used to go a ton of police auctions, and crown vics can be made to not shift out of park by disconnecting the brake switch @ the pedal....literally reach under the dash and a quick tug, and they'd go for dirt cheap because 'won't shift out of park'...... sometimes I'd smack the 1/4 panel where the fuel inertia shutoff switch was, which disables the fuel pump, and now you have a car that cranks but won't start... No one wanted to touch them so I got them cheap... Literally a 5 second fix... As essentially a kid, I saw it as 'gaming' the system, using my knowledge to my benefit... only later as I matured did I realize how unethical it was...

My truck was rebuilt by RRAD right before I got it... about 150 miles on a rebuild... it sat for 7 years, and all my problems were related to old rubber/age...(tire, fuel pressure sensor for ether, 1 inner tube).Pretty bulletproof other than that and I have close to 4k miles on it, drove it from Ft. Bragg to Seattle...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks