• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, I can't loose any money unless I tear things up. I've been watching a few videos and I haven't seen anyone walk the dog very fast. I'm not going to push so hard that I can't drive home. The $3500 bounty won't cover that expense. If anyone thinks that I am so out classed on this speak up. I'm not worried about loosing. I just want to drive out of the park. What are the mechanical risks that you think could happen. These trucks are supposed to be tough... Shi.t! The tires fall off over a tug-of-war contest? Better not!

What's my weakest link? Transmission, T-case, diffs, or what?
That remark was made at me. Your transfer case is the weak link. With companion flanges being second. Heat is your transmissions worst enemy on an nhc250 truck from the exchanger

162tcat

Just don't let it start hopping and you'll be fine. Wheel hop will kill your drivetrain quicker than anything. Other than that, you should be fine. I've put mine to some serious punishment.

Airing down the tires will help you get traction and avoid wheel hop. Air them down to the point where you have an nice contact patch on the ground then ease into the throttle and drag your competition home with you.
Well, I can't loose any money unless I tear things up. I've been watching a few videos and I haven't seen anyone walk the dog very fast. I'm not going to push so hard that I can't drive home. The $3500 bounty won't cover that expense. If anyone thinks that I am so out classed on this speak up. I'm not worried about loosing. I just want to drive out of the park. What are the mechanical risks that you think could happen. These trucks are supposed to be tough... Shi.t! The tires fall off over a tug-of-war contest? Better not!

What's my weakest link? Transmission, T-case, diffs, or what?
Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 16.00’s aired down will be like tracks compared to a 395.

My only downfall is that I seem to attract pretty, slim women. You might have the “hog factor” over me. I’ll just need to attract more of them. :D my bed is bigger too ... factors to consider.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the venue will allow it, using the hand throttle may help prevent, or control the severity of the wheel hop.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stalled on the 400hp ISL transplant because a like-new ISX-15L Signature 600hp fell into my lap. Just undecided on trans and transfer case if I go ISX, don't want a 1:1 T case and have the truck go slower top speed than stock, with a bigger engine. The 13 speed Roadranger trans I have is rated to 1200ft-lb max, perfect match to the ISL. The ISX is 1800-2200ft-lb range. That is also somewhat my hesitation on the ISL, since it is an EFI engine, can't up the governed RPM like you can with a mechanical C series (8.3L). Best for increasing rpm would be to P pump an ISL, but then you lose the efficiency, good cold starting, diagnostics, reduced emissions/noise, etc.... With just a governor spring kit on the 8.3L, you can pick up a lot of RPM and therefore top speed, especially if you add the fuel and timing to pull it.

8.9L ISL is still a much easier swap into an already equipped 8.3L a2 though, exact same engine externally and good up to 400hp/1200tq stock. 4 valve, roller lifter, VGT, Jake actuators, PacBrake exhaust brake, 2-piece steel topped pistons (no EGT worries), etc.....

Stock 8.3L is still running same as new, drove it over the weekend.

View attachment 740405
Are the double overdrive transmissions high enough to compensate for the loss of the od transfer case?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
With a .98 transfer case and .83 od transmission on 16.00s its 64mph at 2100. So anything in the .77 or numerically lower should be fine to cruise at over 70

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, no chance if their hitch is 2’ higher than yours. Your weight becomes theirs. Maybe hook him to the boom of a M936 or put 20 ton of sand in your bed and hope he wheelies out or tares the back of his truck off...

Last edited:

jaws4518

Cold Beer
Just don't let it start hopping and you'll be fine. Wheel hop will kill your drivetrain quicker than anything. Other than that, you should be fine. I've put mine to some serious punishment.

Airing down the tires will help you get traction and avoid wheel hop. Air them down to the point where you have an nice contact patch on the ground then ease into the throttle and drag your competition home with you.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
I'm going to have cruse and have some fun. I've always wanted to do one of these events so thought I better go do it. Slow and easy! If some guy shows up with 15 tons of concrete barriers in the back of his truck then he can have it. I'm not going to those lengths for $3500.00. Shi...t!!!!!!!!!!

jaws4518

Cold Beer
Yep, no chance if their hitch is 2’ higher than yours. Your weight becomes theirs. Maybe hook him to the boom of a M936 or put 20 ton of sand in your bed and hope he wheelies out or tares the back of his truck off...
Yeah, I better go there with no super-high expectations. Provide some tugging entrainment without going balls to the wall. I better have my M818 and trailer there to medic-vac back home if I were to get serious. Not worth pushing the limits to win. Most of their hitches are 2' higher. I considered that to be an issue. Y off the shackles and hitch might help. I have a goose-neck hitch under construction which mates up to my pintle receiver. It is made out of 1"x8" I-beam and bolts to the back of the frame. Not ready yet. I've got to thread the shaft and weld things together. Not enough time though. That would bring the pull point up 10" or so.., rear frame level anyhow. Observe and be ready for the next spring. One thing is for sure... I'm not going on the RWP tug of war circuit. I don't run a high performance shop. Stock is all I got.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
See he's got tires out on the grass. He's probably 25k of rubber on the ground. Shoot, it cost him $3500 to get that truck there and off the trailer. I guess we could ask for a tag-team to entertain the crowd... He'd probably go for that. Oh, well!
You will notice how high he was, pulling up killed the other puller, transferred ALL the weight to him, a sure win.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks