• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little behind here, this was actually over the past few weeks...

-Fabricated, painted and installed new soft top perpendicular bows from steel tube from McMaster-Carr.
-Removed and plated over old two pin slave receptacle (new NATO slave on battery box).
-Fabricated, painted and installed a double license plate holder for the grille...made from 1/4" thick X 6" X24" aluminum plate.
-Covered gearshift lever with foam rubber grip material
-Added a Gadsden flag to parade display

-Was in a car show Saturday http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/88313-hannibal-8-culver-city-ca-car-show.html

ARYankee

I worked mine last weekend. I got a wee bit over 8 tons of SB2 to repair my driveway with. I love having my M923A1. This weekend I am pampering it by installing the bows and cargo cover, I'll post pictures of this when I get done.

Attachments

F18hornetM

Well our M813 is not charging. So went through the checks, prtoection box ok but nothing coming out of alternator, so pulled and will check out. now that i think about it, i doubt its been charing since we've had it, relaced batteries when we got it, needle never really was up in green very good, then was dead one day, or barely crank and thought maybe since painting it, iut was started and stoped alot. Put meter on it and sure enough not charging. Also TM is stupid on its troubleshooting procedure. There is a much simpilar way to check the same things, They go all around to get the results. I did follow TM just because, but then realized a simpilier way, with no need for jumpers.

If anybody needs a description of how to test with out jumpering protection box, PM me Ill explain.

Last edited:

jester3798

since i have got my 923, i have done the following:

full fluid service
installed bullet proof windshield
removed rh tool box and installed fuel tank
connected rh fuel tank to stock tank with shut off valves
herculined the bed
purchased troop seats
installed 5000w inverter
installed warn 18k electric winch
purchased "v" plow

plus a few other goodies, pics to follow soon

rc

F18hornetM

Something I have noticed is the TMs are great, but there is often a more straight forward way of doing something than is written. Of course I am sure they were written with a certain audience in mind, or by engineers...:beer:

Vintage iron

F18hornetM I think you should post your question as a new thread. I was having starting issues with my M813. I found that I had to redo almost all of the connections on the battery box area. 5 hrs later the truck starts right up!

F18hornetM

I dont have a question. I read the TM and went by it and realized the tests were a waste of time. Ive been a mechanic for 30+ years and have read and used all kinds of service manuals, now mostly all on line. So service manuals are not new to me at all, neither are wiring diagrams. But if you think would help others, I could write a simpler test of the charging system. Would narrow down problems quicker. I'm not saying the TM is wrong, just wasted time is all. Actually now that I think about it, it is wrong in one test. Or rather incomplete might be a better term.

1943ht

Its been a very busy week .. finishing up the 5 Ton project for the Touch-A-Truck event 16 Jun ..dragged my tires and wheels out of storage and slapped them on .. thank God for the 10 Ton Jack I picked up a couple of months ago, moving those tires from the farm to the shop was a ball-buster.

Swapped out a bad set of tank straps and replaced with new .. Installed a reel light that has been sitting in the shop for a couple of years and replaced my turn signal switch as the flasher light assembly was a mess on the original .. I still need to paint some unit markings on the beast and get the fuel tanks marked up and the interior cleaned out yet before the event.

Thinking about pulling the hard-top off, as I have a new soft top and frame in storage .. thinking it will have more of a wow factor with the top off for the kids, and better photo OP for moms and dads .. needed to get the big ticket stuff completed by the 8th as My M37 is finally painted and I need to start assembling that back together.

Will take it for a test run tomorrow, as I want to pick up some steel to fabricate a set of mud flaps to install between the tires and the fuel tank .. have a drawing made up and it will bolt into the rear fuel tank mount on the bottom and on the frame rails on the top just like the original .. don't like the tank exposed to all the stuff the tires are going to kick up.. Probably will not have that done before the event ..

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will take it for a test run tomorrow, as I want to pick up some steel to fabricate a set of mud flaps to install between the tires and the fuel tank .. have a drawing made up and it will bolt into the rear fuel tank mount on the bottom and on the frame rails on the top just like the original .. don't like the tank exposed to all the stuff the tires are going to kick up.. Probably will not have that done before the event ..
I enjoyed the pics of your M818. You have a good looking truck there. Thought I might offer up a suggestion for your fuel tank protectors. Use the ones from an M817 Dump Truck. I used them on my truck. You could cut them down so they don't stick up so high and interfere with a trailer. See the pics I took while changing out my fuel tank.

Sorry for the hijack:oops:

Attachments

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything I have done to my 5ton so far..

1) Battery box
2) Replaced the chunk on the rear most axle.
3) New mirrors
4) Took out the stock seats
5) Herculined the cab floor
6) Installed Air ride seats
7) Different angle...
8) Swapped tops
9) hardtop bolted on, new snorkel cap, front fender mud flaps
10) Color coded air hoses

And much more to come!!!!!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-mods-hot-rodding/87640-special-delivery-morning.html

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Derrickl112...Busy, busy, busy! All is looking great. Keep up the good work. Wish I more time for my toys.

Question: was the driver's seat direct bolt up to the original springer base bolt pattern? I have a line on these seats locally and I am curious to their ease of installation.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The base is a little bit narrower than the springer seat base. I can still see all the orginal holes in the floor. You could probably weld a plate to the bottem of the seat and drill holes in it to match the original ones. I did not want to modify the seats, so I drilled new holes in the cab floor.

I'll take a couple pictures of it tomorrow.

1943ht

MYOM1, Appreciate the info .. not sure where I could snag a set of those in my AO, but those look very much like my design ..I have an excellent and most reasonably priced source for steel right down the road , so fabricating them up is not to much of a challenge .. especially nice as they just picked a combination sheer that also punches holes and I have access .. makes fabricating much easier.

PS: That is some nice iron in those pics .. was very tempted to bid on one of the many nice 900 series tractors at Ft McCoy last week .. CINCW reminded me that we have a rather spendy commitment this summer with our ALCAN trip .. Like the look of those tractors.

Last edited:

RIDDLE1

Quick question for you 5 ton guys. How do the automatics hold up in the 900 series trucks? Have you guys had to replace them?

markmontana

Quick question for you 5 ton guys. How do the automatics hold up in the 900 series trucks? Have you guys had to replace them?
Haven't had mine too long, but I've got a lot of miles under me and I find the trans to be awesome. Very smooth shifting esp. compared to the way the M35A3 shifts! I have no knowledge but I assume the trans could be easily rebuilt.

ARYankee

I finally got the cargo cover on after I installed the new spare tire holder. Here are some pictures. I even went the extra mile and bought rubber rope for it but when I unfolded it, it was already there so now I have extra :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks