• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Makincold

Well I wouldn't' say "just" for her but it was the biggest single influence to build it. I needed somewhere to work on it! I have a 12x12 roll up door and 14' tall because of her for sure.
She actually lives under a shed outside....
Mule got a cushy place inside all dry and warm...

That is one nice looking shop there Makincold. Did you build that just for the truck? Boy is it spoiled! I don't even have a tarp big enough for mine yet let alone a whole brand new shop!

Attachments

Captaincarrier

FINALLY!!!! received my Florida Antique License Plate today (27 July, 2013) for my 65' M109A. I was forewarned that the state was somewhat puzzled on how these trucks were to be tagged. I purchased the truck late April 2013, registered and first payment to the state early May. Got notice from state early June that the first payment was not enough, so re-applied and sented additional funds. Started making phone calls mid July (everyday) to Tallahassee, talked to some very interesting folks up there. Finally started getting calls back from Tallahassee saying "your plate is in the mail". So from time of purchased to time to legally drive the truck, 3 months. FINALLY!!!!

ODDBALL007

FINALLY!!!! received my Florida Antique License Plate today (27 July, 2013) for my 65' M109A. I was forewarned that the state was somewhat puzzled on how these trucks were to be tagged. I purchased the truck late April 2013, registered and first payment to the state early May. Got notice from state early June that the first payment was not enough, so re-applied and sented additional funds. Started making phone calls mid July (everyday) to Tallahassee, talked to some very interesting folks up there. Finally started getting calls back from Tallahassee saying "your plate is in the mail". So from time of purchased to time to legally drive the truck, 3 months. FINALLY!!!!
Wow thats a long time. I have two plates and only waited a month if that

Artisan

Added front bumper lower shackles. If you do it remember to ask for hardware, the 'long' bolts are indeed longer.
front-shackles.jpg
Completed rear 2" Civilian Hitch Receiver w/ Tow Bar and Chain slung over for good measure. I might sell the parts to do this soon, you weld it all up, parts are water jet cut. I am VERY happy w/ the results. You buy the 16,000# Rated Horizontal Bar, bolt it up, weld it up and paint it up. EASY. Adding weight to the rear is very DESIRABLE. This prob adds 400 or so.
rear-tow-hitch-1.jpg
rear-tow-hitch-2.jpg
rear-tow-hitch-3.jpg
rear-tow-hitch-4.jpg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! It took me less than ten days, would have been less if it wasn't all done by mail...a one-time fee of $50 here in Virginia. Insurance $250/year and inspection (not required) $15.

JarheadMtn

You would hate Montana then. I walked into the Courthouse where the DMV is located and walked out 5 minutes later with the license plates in my hands and the title arrived in the mail about 3 weeks later. I tagged mine as a farm vehicle since I use it logging and add more GVW to the basic registration. So I have to go in every year and get new tags. Vehicles over 10 years old here can be permant licensed as can all trailers and motorcycles.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed some bumperettes from an M54. They're more cosmetic than functional filling a void created by the bed overhang. I am happy with the results. It did require a little modification so I am able to remove the tie-down pins.

DSC_0041.jpg DSC_0042.jpg DSC_0043.jpg

I finally obtained and installed the steel plate that supports the heater box. The original mounting was kind of jerry-rigged. I also fabbed some brackets from 1 1/4" aluminum angle that attach the box to plate and frame brackets.

DSC_0044.jpg DSC_0045.jpg

Dropside bed style tailgate chains installed. Anyone want my old chains?

DSC_0040.jpg

Last edited:

ichudov

I obtained a commercial "P" plate for my M927. This plate is good for up to 45,000 lbs GVWR. Next step is, upgrade lighting to DOT standards for commercial trucks and pass DOT inspection and get commercial insurance.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday completed maiden voyage of my M54A2 from Sumas, WA to Sedro Woolley, WA. 40 miles down highway 9 in beautiful weather and very light traffic. Trip came off without any incidents of note other than it took me a wee bit to get the feel for the steering. Some sharp curves on that road and I learned early to obey the warning recommended speeds for those curves lest one get a bad sense of heading for the bushes. Overall the rig ran straight and true. Brakes could be stiffer but they do work. I noted one leaking wheel cylinder on front rear wheel pass side which will need attention but otherwise all seemed 100% and totally into the fabulous sound of that whistler turbo and deep exhaust...almost like driving a diesel locomotive on the highway!

Now to get the bed delivered from Montana and mounted. Then to pick up the set of G177 tires I purchased and mount them. By fall the whole rig should be ready to go mountain climbing!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Sunday, 08-11-13, My Dad and and I attended the Wounded Warriors Car Show to benefit the Semper Fi Fund at Wyo-Tech Automotive Technology School in Long Beach, CA . That's my Dad's '30 Ford Model A 5-Window Coupe, Finbar, the Leprechaun. This is the sixth show of its kind and our first time attending it. The show consisted of approximately 225 vehicles of all makes, and models. Great show for an outstanding cause.
DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0008.jpg

I was the only MV, but there was a '57 Chevy Delivery in a freelance military/aviation theme truck there. The truck was built in memory of the owner's friend, fallen Marine Michael B. Grimes who paid the ultimate price for our freedom while fighting in Vietnam. Hence the hood number. We humbly thank him for his honorable and selfless service to these great United States of America.
DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0013.jpg

A local cable TV news crew used my truck as there car show spot intro. Sorry no vid yet:-(
DSC_0021.jpgDSC_0020.jpg

nastypyro

I got a nice chunk of work done on my M54A1C this week. Changed the oil and oil filters, mounted the historical license plates both front and rear, confirmed the non-commerical registration, replaced the wiper motor (passenger), parking brake lever and cable, replaced the oil pressure sensor and washed her good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks