• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then came the paint. After the first brushes, it was clear that it was way too light. However, it was Friday afternoon before a long weekend, probably the last few days with really nice weather. And since the truck will be sand-blasted and painted in the real color after restoration anyway, I did not wanted to waste the opportunity.
paint work 12_resize.JPG painting last bits 17_resize.JPG paint work 08_resize.JPG paint work 02_resize.jpg painting last bits 05_resize.JPG

It took us several days, steeling a few hours here and there, but we managed. With a little help of my grandson painting a few wheels. One interesting surprise, a small wasp nest in the new head light.

2013 cleaning and painting 10c_resize.jpg paint work 13c - resize_resize.jpg painting last bits 13_resize.jpg

A view of the progress on the back part of the truck.

At the same time, I switched the tires around because they were illegal (different types on the same axle etc) and positioned them for good pics for the veteran papers. I have to submit two pictures of the truck for the papers, one from left front and one from right rear, like pic 2 and the pics below. So the best tires are now back outside, than middle outside, than back inside, than middle inside the worst. In front are two good steering tires with different profile.

Man, handling these tires on your own is hard, back-braking work. I am getting too old for this kind of manure. But it was fun and satisfying, it looks a lot better. Monday I will make the official pictures and post them here also.

FIY, this action set me back an unbelievable $ 40 (no mistake, forty $$) for 2.4 liter of paint, that is, 0.6 gallon for the whole truck, thank you very much. :beer::beer::naner::smile::jumpin::jumpin:

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

took off axle vents and replaced them with 3/8 elbow and 1/4 inch gas tube running to the air intake. There was pressure in the axles when I took the vents off which I'm sure makes hub seals leek more often. This should be done to all trucks with those crummy little axle vents.

took off axle vents and replaced them with 3/8 elbow and 1/4 inch gas tube running to the air intake. There was pressure in the axles when I took the vents off which I'm sure makes hub seals leek more often. This should be done to all trucks with those crummy little axle vents.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always thought you wanted slight positive pressure in axles to avoid water entering during deep water/mud driving conditions. With the vents plumbed to the intake, wouldn't that put a slight vacuum to the axle housings?

TacticalDoc

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always thought you wanted slight positive pressure in axles to avoid water entering during deep water/mud driving conditions. With the vents plumbed to the intake, wouldn't that put a slight vacuum to the axle housings?
how is water going to get in the axle if the only way in is at the air intake? you would have to be in water above the cab. chances are that those little vents will let water in or they will get clogged and increase pressure causing hub seal failure. I would like to do this with the trans and gas tank but I don't see any little vents coming off the trans/ transfer case like they do in the deuce.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
how is water going to get in the axle if the only way in is at the air intake? you would have to be in water above the cab. chances are that those little vents will let water in or they will get clogged and increase pressure causing hub seal failure. I would like to do this with the trans and gas tank but I don't see any little vents coming off the trans/ transfer case like they do in the deuce.
Oil seals can leak both ways...

Artisan

Conversely if the axle were worked on up at high altitude and sealed up,
then if a guy drives to low altitude, you now have vacuum situation yes?
Thus a tendency to suck in water...

I am going to the OE design, a vent needs to be just that, a vent.

Just run a hose up high someplace or valve them and just remember
to shut little 3/8" valves when you ford, just like you would when
you move the parked plug under the flywheel housing and plug the drain hole
before fording, and remove and restore in storage boss after fording .

9-2320-272-10

3. Remove flywheel housing drainplug (Figure 7, Item 3) from storage boss (Figure 7, Item 2). Install drainplug
(Figure 7, Item 3) in flywheel drain port (Figure 7, Item 1).

I need to do my vents, thanx for rattlin' my cage!

TacticalDoc

Oil seals can leak both ways...
well if I have to deep water ford I'll turn the fording kit on which should give it a little positive pressure. If you don't have a fording kit on your truck you can also put a cap at the end of your tubing. I still think a little pressure will build up in the tubing anyway with heat in the axle. The gear lube itself puts pressure on the seals from inside out. The movement of gear lube puts pressure on the seals too. When I popped off the seals it seemed like a lot more pressure built up than just a few psi.

TacticalDoc

Conversely if the axle were worked on up at high altitude and sealed up,
then if a guy drives to low altitude, you now have vacuum situation yes?
Thus a tendency to suck in water...

I am going to the OE design, a vent needs to be just that, a vent.

Just run a hose up high someplace or valve them and just remember
to shut little 3/8" valves when you ford, just like you would when
you move the parked plug under the flywheel housing and plug the drain hole
before fording, and remove and restore in storage boss after fording .

9-2320-272-10

3. Remove flywheel housing drainplug (Figure 7, Item 3) from storage boss (Figure 7, Item 2). Install drainplug
(Figure 7, Item 3) in flywheel drain port (Figure 7, Item 1).

I need to do my vents, thanx for rattlin' my cage!
correct if you decide to ford you can also put the vent cap on at the end of your tubing.
but how often do we deep water ford
also this bring up another mod I'm going to do to the flywheel
I'm going to put an elbow with ball valve on it ...so, I can just reach under and close up the housing if I do want to water ford. Kind of a PITA to unbolt the plug and replace it after water fording

zout

The product is a different name but still the same ingredients - got all the tires with their spec amount and wa la - checked them today and they are dead nuts where I left them yesterday upon fill and driving a little to
get it sloshed around - perfect.
FTI - it takes 144 ounces per tire - with the bucket it pumps 8 ounces per pump - cost of the product to me is .25 per ounce - lots less expensive than a tire or a flat on the side of the road. It will seal up to 3/8ths puncture within a 1/4 revolution and loose less than a half pound of air doing so.

Finished getting ready for the Columbus Veterans Day Parade with the install of Ole Glory. What a way to end the day.Photo3112.jpgPhoto3113.jpgPhoto3114.jpgPhoto3115.jpgPhoto3116.jpg

Cruceno

Nice stuff Zout! I'll have to look into that!

I changed my fuel filter out, and since my fuel tank was fairly low, I took the opportunity to drain the fuel tank as well. I flushed it and filtered the diesel several times! I used a Mr. Filter funnel to filter it, and wow...just wow. You should see the gunk, sludge, muck and water that it filtered out. Highly recommended!

I also finally got around to installing my block heater, and ordered a coolant filter and some fittings. I'm planning for a full radiator flush next month with clean antifreeze.

lavarok

Changed a flat on a M923A2...due to a leaky bead.

After that experience, I'm looking for some of the tire sealant Zout posted about. I can live without CTIS.

TacticalDoc

Changed a flat on a M923A2...due to a leaky bead.

After that experience, I'm looking for some of the tire sealant Zout posted about. I can live without CTIS.
don't you have run flat tires on your truck
also doesn't the sealant make a mess out of the rims...I was always told not to use it on my vehicles due to the mess it makes
I have used green slime on my ATVs with success

JarheadMtn

The product is a different name but still the same ingredients - got all the tires with their spec amount and wa la - checked them today and they are dead nuts where I left them yesterday upon fill and driving a little to
get it sloshed around - perfect.
FTI - it takes 144 ounces per tire - with the bucket it pumps 8 ounces per pump - cost of the product to me is .25 per ounce - lots less expensive than a tire or a flat on the side of the road. It will seal up to 3/8ths puncture within a 1/4 revolution and loose less than a half pound of air doing so.

Finished getting ready for the Columbus Veterans Day Parade with the install of Ole Glory. What a way to end the day.View attachment 460168View attachment 460169View attachment 460170View attachment 460171View attachment 460172
Does this have a temperature rating where it will freeze? I have BEET juice in the tires of one of my tractors and its rated down to -40*. I wouldn't want a big frozen chunk of something spinning around inside the tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks