• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

PureMayhem

I pulled the large fuel filter from my M923A2. I also pulled the fuel hose from the filter to the engine. It was kinked and had cracks running along the bottom. This might explain my hard start issue. The inside of the filter case had a fair amount of gunk and rust inside it. The inlet drain valve was actually placed on the outlet side and tucked behind the Cab mount to the frame so it was difficult to get to and open. I am going to move back to the inlet side but will need a different AN fitting to do that.

Can the o Ring that fits between the filter case and the filter cover be purchased at NAPA? last picture

image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpg

plode

Sanded the front bumper down, and painted it. Now if only the rest of the truck looked as good as the bumper. I'm painting the truck piece by piece. I think the hood and front fenders are next. I'm not too sure how to go about painting the grill mesh. I'm not spraying the truck, I'm rolling it and using a brush to cut in places I can't get with the roller. It's just easier for me that way and it still looks good.
I think my brother or one of his friends has a sprayer(electric) that I can borrow, I'm going to use that to paint underneath the truck. Haven't decided if I'm going to do everything under the truck in black or green.

The doors on my truck both have pretty good sized dents in them, I haven't decided if I'm going to bondo them, or get another set. I'd rather just get another set since the door handles on mine are screwed up too, but I really can't afford them right now.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the large fuel filter from my M923A2. I also pulled the fuel hose from the filter to the engine. It was kinked and had cracks running along the bottom. This might explain my hard start issue. The inside of the filter case had a fair amount of gunk and rust inside it. The inlet drain valve was actually placed on the outlet side and tucked behind the Cab mount to the frame so it was difficult to get to and open. I am going to move back to the inlet side but will need a different AN fitting to do that.

Can the o Ring that fits between the filter case and the filter cover be purchased at NAPA? last picture

View attachment 483636View attachment 483637View attachment 483638View attachment 483639
The filter at napa is a 3401 or wix 33401. It comes with the big and little orings. Normally wix will sell seals seperately but it can be tricky as they might be eachy or envelopes of 10. A counterman would need to look in his illustrated guide to get the part number or just call wix filter hot line

http://www.wixfilters.com/ContactUS.aspx

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter at napa is a 3401 or wix 33401. It comes with the big and little orings. Normally wix will sell seals seperately but it can be tricky as they might be eachy or envelopes of 10. A counterman would need to look in his illustrated guide to get the part number or just call wix filter hot line

http://www.wixfilters.com/ContactUS.aspx
I pulled the canister off my 923A2 and there was no filter there (truck came straight from military). The TM only shows the small engine mounted fuel/water separator and not the large canister one. So do I need the larger filter or just put it back together like it was?

MO MV man

I replaced a leaking safety relief valve from the air tank-to-dryer hose on my M931A2.
Piece of cake.
Picked it up at a local auto parts store: Bendix Part No. 205105
150PSI just like the rusty inside leaky original.
I took it to work and tested the relief pressure before bolting it on.

davo727

I would certainly put a new filter in there. I will check mine to see if its there since our trucks seem to be from the same unit

I pulled the canister off my 923A2 and there was no filter there (truck came straight from military). The TM only shows the small engine mounted fuel/water separator and not the large canister one. So do I need the larger filter or just put it back together like it was?

plode

Pulled the drivers side windshield out. Scraped, wire wheeled, sanded and painted(2 coats so far) the area completely around the windshield. I also painted around the windshield frame. Going to reinstall the windshield tomorrow morning.

Might do the same process to the passenger side tomorrow. I may paint the roof too, that won't take too long using a power sander.

redcheetah

Well I can't really say that I did the work but a friend of mine who is an experienced welder/fabricator made this awesome receiver hitch for my 5 ton (the "Jolly Greenn"). Here are a few pics of the process and it in action. It still needs a few small things buttoned up but I think it came out great. If I ever sell the truck, it is going up in my shop as a piece of art.

Attachments

davo727

I will do a thread in the 5 ton Mods section after the parts get here and I get started.

I have done some measuring and drawings and ordered two telescoping cylinders that are 3 stages. Im doing it different than what is usually done.

Cylinders will be angled at approx. 45 degree angle outboard of the frame and inboard of the intermediate wheels. The mudflaps forward of the mid tires will have to be trimmed a little to clear the cylinders, but other than that there is a ton of room in that area.

davo727

In process of removing the fuel hard line that goes halfway to the filter and the second half which is a flex hose so I can run a new one piece hose all the way from the tank to the filter. The old setup has the transition from hard to rubber hose where you cant get to it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed the big canister fuel filter and found no filter in it, just a bunch of sand. Also found the hose from the filter to the engine all kinked up and cracked.

The fact that you found debris makes it apparent that you really need the missing filter element as the primary means of filtering. Might have more nasties in the tank. That filter is a huge surface area of filtering media and can only help even if there is a spin on filter under the hood. That canister will filter a lot of junk before it clogs up.

The more filtering the better.

davo727

Trying to get this box door un-seized, have been spraying pb blaster and beating on it for a week so far. I think I will take the box off so I can get a good swing with a hammer and punch on the ends of the hinge pin and maybe that will work. Otherwise will end up cutting the hinge off.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks