• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

acme66

I swapped out the oil in the transmission for real transmission fluid. Wow. Once the video is uploaded I will share a new thread so you can see exactly the changes it made.

Ken

Carlo

I swapped out the oil in the transmission for real transmission fluid. Wow. Once the video is uploaded I will share a new thread so you can see exactly the changes it made.

Ken
live been telling people for years the big difference it makes. The allisn manual dose say if you are using the truck in HD situations use the oil though. I continue to use Dex3

Artisan

If I remember right the TM says you can put 5Tons in the bed AND pull a 7.5 ton
trailer at the same time. You have roughly an 11.5 ton truck added to that for
a grand total of 24 tons or 48,000 pounds on the hoof, rolling weight.
(someone check me on the numbers please)

That is a lot even if it is on wheels. I do not know how to do the calcs but if
you look up the max incline in the TM and then do a calc you will get
what that tranny will pull from a dead stop, rated ( I think )

I pulled 7 like trucks 22 miles EACH one way up hill. It took the edge
off my tranny just a little bit. Makes it way more tolerable and my
truck had 25K miles on it when I got it.

I'm keeping the stock oil.

Here is another thing. Put just 3 tons of something in the bed and go
for a putt. You will probably just want to leave it there once you
feel the difference.

Csm Davis

If I remember right the TM says you can put 5Tons in the bed AND pull a 7.5 ton
trailer at the same time. You have roughly an 11.5 ton truck added to that for
a grand total of 24 tons or 48,000 pounds on the hoof, rolling weight.
(someone check me on the numbers please)

That is a lot even if it is on wheels. I do not know how to do the calcs but if
you look up the max incline in the TM and then do a calc you will get
what that tranny will pull from a dead stop, rated ( I think )

I pulled 7 like trucks 22 miles EACH one way up hill. It took the edge
off my tranny just a little bit. Makes it way more tolerable and my
truck had 25K miles on it when I got it.

I'm keeping the stock oil.

Here is another thing. Put just 3 tons of something in the bed and go
for a putt. You will probably just want to leave it there once you
feel the difference.
I have been pulling 76,000 total truck and all, off and on now for a couple years. Wrecker pulling wrecker.

Heavyiron

I and my dad drove a M929 dump from the gl site in fontana Los angeles, to sacramento (Davis actually). We left Wednesday night and got back Friday morning. We drove all the way there, taking shifts and then traded off driving the M929 and a toyota truck. We both ended up driving (and eating, picking up the truck ext...) for over 24 hours.. Did a basic fluids check and started the drive back. We went about 50-55 mph, trying to go easy on the engine. My Dad thought that the fuel gauge switch was the tank switch and did not realize it was on the floor fast enough, and the engine died. Thankfully I was able to figure out how to re-prime the fuel system from some posts on this forum which saved us a 2 hour long tow :grin:, thanks everyone. The truck was obviously in decent condition to survive this almost 400 mile drive. These trucks are bigger than I thought! Can't imagine what a Het would be like.

For anyone new to vehicles in general :!:THIS WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA:!:. We should have replaced the fluids and given it a better go through before going on a 9 or 10 hour drive through the middle of nowhere (there were one steep mountain area also . We already spent more money than we wanted (dumps in ca from gl were going for about $7000) and so did not want to pay to ship it, and my dad was in a time crunch.

The air tank pressure warning light and buzzer will not shut off, even when the tank fills, about 100-120psi. It worked when we left the lot, but came on after we started driving. Just thought I would ask about this. :idea:good idea going down a steep grade with a brake associated warning light on and the possibility of no brakes either. They did have runaway ramps though[thumbzup]

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have you done to your 5 ton this week.
Other than bury it in mud and ripping half the Forrest down to get it out.
Picking on you Mike.

ke5eua

What have you done to your 5 ton this week.
Other than bury it in mud and ripping half the Forrest down to get it out.
Picking on you Mike.
Ha Ha I know...

Took all the kids for a ride this afternoon.

All kids were in a booster, for the littlest the wife rode with to ensure she stayed where she needed to.
IMG_8371.jpgIMG_8375.jpgIMG_8379.jpgIMG_8384.jpg

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Changed the gear oil on all axles, transfer case,, and replace both filters and oil in the tranny, then wondered why I got this best that takes soo much fluids!!!!!!!!

ke5eua

Changed the gear oil on all axles, transfer case,, and replace both filters and oil in the tranny, then wondered why I got this best that takes soo much fluids!!!!!!!!
Yeah, you realize when you do your first fluid change it's just better to buy a 55 gallon drum of the oil and an empty one to put the waste in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks