• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PPV only ensures that the brakes have full pressure. It should ALLOW air to the accessory side including the air governor. If it is stuck you will NOT have horns, wipers and the air pressure will go to about 150 where the safety valve will take over and blow off at 150 psi. Hope this helps.

zout

That REALLY looks great - nice job and even better yet what a place to display your pride and joy - Ole rat rod to your right is cool

ke5eua

Well today started nice. Went to home depot to get a box of 1/4" nuts and bolts, and a few tiny size for my radios.

We had a tree section was in front of a bridge going to a back trail so I decided to move it. No problem moving it, it was what came next that turned into two hours and several chains.

http://youtu.be/pnl3ZscrKF8

Going through the ditch and the ground gave out and the truck bottomed out. Ended up doing the chains around the duals trick again after several attempts of putting boards down and just snapping them like twigs.

First attempt tow strap snapped and flew back towards the truck, luckily the chain weighed it down and it landed under the truck. The tow strap was being used as a tree saver. You'll notice the truck wanting to die out, I was running on empty, forgot to switch the tank over to the full one. Trying to drain the tanks so I can clean them out, 50 gallons to go :D

http://youtu.be/UIXiXXZa4u4

Got about 50' feet of chain and rapped it around the tree and pulled myself out. Wife didn't record it, would have been a good video as the last one I was knee deep in muddy water.

Good thing I haven't started the seal job yet, although it wasn't mud or water, just compacted dirt.

I did notice a class 2 leak that I need to investigate. Was forming on the transmission crossmember.

You can see me carrying the high lift jack back to the truck in one of the pics. Note to mv owners, high lift doesn't like lifting the front end of a 818. Neighbor got his 3 ton jack and gave it a shot, once I noticed it was 3 tons I stopped him as I didn't want to break his jack. We tried to get my 20 ton under the bumper but it was a no go.

Forgot to say this. I am really amazed at the little community in my neighborhood. Wife went and asked the neighbor for help and wouldn't you know it a bunch of people showed up and offered help. When we got it out I offered compensation and nobody wanted anything.

IMG_1729.jpgIMG_1782.jpgIMG_1783.jpgIMG_1800.jpgIMG_1818.jpgIMG_1824.jpg

Got home, cooled down, took a shower and then put my other antenna on the truck and bolted the plgr antenna on. Still waiting on the rear support for it but I wanted to see what they looked like. It looks nice IMHO, but I'm a ham so porcupines looks sexy to me, lol

IMG_1144.jpgIMG_1145.jpgIMG_1146.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ke5eua,

I have to say if I get stuck you're the 1st one I'm getting in touch with. As often as you wind up buried you should be able to get me out in no time :)

ke5eua

ke5eua,

I have to say if I get stuck you're the 1st one I'm getting in touch with. As often as you wind up buried you should be able to get me out in no time :)
It's getting easier that's for sure. After breaking boards I just shut the truck off and got the chains and started dragging. The walk of shame, lol

Two hours total time from getting stuck to pulling out compared to two days last time. Although I have had a truck sit in the back pasture for a week after getting it stuck to the door frame just to let the ground dry up enough to get the tractor in there. My dad takes the cake though, he got a jeep wrangler stuck in the front yard, took two tractors to get it out.

dragonman

Washed it.

IMG_0198.jpgStarted washing it with a scrub brush, it was hard work and not working to well so got out the power washer. It went a lot faster and easier and did a way better job.

elkhtr

Hey elkhtr, I just installed two sets of the lollypop lights, one on my M936A1 and M923A1. How did you integrate the wiring into the turn signal? MV connectors or? Thanks buddy.
I bought Packard connectors from Erik's military surplus.
A couple of three way splitters, one solder job on each side changing a male end to female, and done.
Their website can be a little tough to search, be persistent you will find the splitters.

Artisan

ke5eua,

You just need to buy some of the mud chains I have for sale and call it done.

Gotta love the pics! Thank U! I know, that is a lot of work to not only do
the deeds but share it w/ the world via pics and blog on the web!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he needs winches. Mike we will need a expert recovery person at the rally.
And I believe your well on your way on fitting that position.

ke5eua

I think he needs winches. Mike we will need a expert recovery person at the rally.
And I believe your well on your way on fitting that position.
I did stay at a holiday inn a couple times, lol

Went to h8 school years ago, I remember pulling an 88 out of a pond, that's about it, lol

I'm going to get some winches. I'm going to get two hydraulic winches, front and rear and reuse a log splitter pump, horizontal shaft engine, add an air compressor pump, 24v alternator and have an apu like what was on my 88.

Now if someone has an 88 apu it would gladly like to know, it would save me the trouble of building my own, lol

I'm thinking about doing one winch on the back deck and have a system to route it to the front or rear, or just put both on the back deck and have one facing front and have a channel of guides going to the front, kinda like the winch on the fmtv.

I have put a lot of thought into this. Getting stuck a second time just makes me want to do it quicker.

I would do the pto option but since I want two winches I think hydraulic would be a good option, and it gives me amazing torque options depending on the size pump and engine I use.

ralph3162

So far I have installed all hardware and mounting brackets for the new winch. I have installed all the linkage and operation lever and tomorrow I will install the PTO. I am in the process of rebuilding the winch putting in new seals and such. Once I finish I will install the winch and drive shaft and will have a deuce w/winch that actually works and isn't just for show LOL.

spartan_185

I swapped over a winch setup from a M925a2 to my M923A2 this weekend. I cant say that I ever would want to do such a thing again even if the winch was free, but the end results made it worth while. I can truthfully say that there's a darn good reason why nice M925A2 trucks bring good money. Next on my list is a hard top install, ac install,and air ride seats. Although, it will be several weeks before that happens due to the AC bracket manufacturer lead time.

Attachments

Outlier

Fired it up so the CTIS would fill my three leaking tires..... AGAIN! New O-rings arrived the other day. Man will i be glad when they are swapped out and the tires hold air!

TacticalDoc

I know it isn't heavy but are you supposed to be pulling anything in reverse?
And, when you come across a ditch like that aren't you supposed to approach at an angle?

Well today started nice. Went to home depot to get a box of 1/4" nuts and bolts, and a few tiny size for my radios.

We had a tree section was in front of a bridge going to a back trail so I decided to move it. No problem moving it, it was what came next that turned into two hours and several chains.

Going through the ditch and the ground gave out and the truck bottomed out. Ended up doing the chains around the duals trick again after several attempts of putting boards down and just snapping them like twigs.

First attempt tow strap snapped and flew back towards the truck, luckily the chain weighed it down and it landed under the truck. The tow strap was being used as a tree saver. You'll notice the truck wanting to die out, I was running on empty, forgot to switch the tank over to the full one. Trying to drain the tanks so I can clean them out, 50 gallons to go :D

Got about 50' feet of chain and rapped it around the tree and pulled myself out. Wife didn't record it, would have been a good video as the last one I was knee deep in muddy water.

Last edited:

ke5eua

I know it isn't heavy but are you supposed to be pulling anything in reverse?
And, when you come across a ditch like that aren't you supposed to approach at an angle?

Did approach the ditch at an angle. The side of the ditch gave out and when I tried to back out it just pivoted on the high point where the diff rested and straightened out. I wish I could have gotten a better picture but if was still at an angle, not as great as I started but it was still at a little bit.

As far as pulling backwards, what your thinking of is having the front locked in going backwards.

When you look at the video you can actually see the drivers front tire slip a little.

Truck was in high not low.

It's like having a fully loaded trailer on the back, your gonna have to go backwards sometime. With the 900 series you make sure the front is disengaged, with the 809 series you have the clutch to relive tension and the sprag.

Last edited:

plode

New horns, keyed door handles, lollipop lights, new smaller diameter air filter.
overhauling the air dryer next.
Anybody replaced their horns with upgrades?
These things would cause pain when tested with my shop air(120 psi)
Once installed in the truck, not near as impressive.
maybe a flow issue with the stock solenoid valve?
I didn't put a pressure gage on the air supply line, but I assumed it would receive full pressure from the truck.
Now if my garage door would only open a little more.

Let us know what you figure out with the horn. I have a horn here that I just finished painting green and was going to mount it up in the truck soon. I know with my shop air it is very very loud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks