• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

thenext44

Camera offers an extension cable and I needed it. Camera is Hopkins HM5002 (disclosure I work at etrailer.com) This is the most popular camera with the employees it is a great picture and a good price. I am really happy with how it turned out on the M923, i have it adjusted so I can see the front and rear bumper so I know exactly how much room there is. If you do this just remember to obviously connect to battery as 12v, I also installed switches so i can turn the cameras on and off as needed.
20140917_084926.jpg

ke5eua

Camera offers an extension cable and I needed it. Camera is Hopkins HM5002 (disclosure I work at etrailer.com) This is the most popular camera with the employees it is a great picture and a good price. I am really happy with how it turned out on the M923, i have it adjusted so I can see the front and rear bumper so I know exactly how much room there is. If you do this just remember to obviously connect to battery as 12v, I also installed switches so i can turn the cameras on and off as needed.
View attachment 517255
That's awesome. I love etrailer, have bought a lot of stuff from the site.

Actually ordered a hitch to weld on the 818 and got a call from a really nice rep telling me it was out of stock and when it was expected in. Unfortunately I had to cancel due to timing but I always use them.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
New (old) steering wheel is finally installed and mostly operational. I'm missing the ringy thing that holds the horn button in and the screws. The threads on the steering column shaft had to be done (don't ask how they got buggered up) and luckily my common 1 tool set came in handy to use a manual thread file.

Got the 15W40 and Hydraulic Fluid to change out the crankcase and transmission. Already have 5 gallons of 80/90. Downside is I didn't get any filters. So my plans to change fluids tomorrow maybe off (if you don't get to the local auto hobby u-do-it place early, you don't get a spot). Confirmed my truck did NOT have any DEXTRON III in it. It was Hydraulic Fluid---which is fine with me.

Fixed some burnt out bulbs and cleaned some connections. Topped off the batteries. Fixed the wipers.

I began the lube job tonight but it got too dark on me so I' have the from the area of the transmission to the back to do tomorrow. Also am redo'ing the bumper numbers but gotta finish the numbering tomorrow after some of it dries.

Oh and the title for it came today.

Last but not least...it was humid today...which is kinda rare around here. During the hot part of the day I printed out a copy of the LO and parts of the -10 and -20 TM's. My intent was to cut through the chaff and only have those parts I needed for a 923A2 and put it in document protectors in a 3 ring binder. So basically chopped out all the other models so that I could focus on my truck. The one thing that drives me nuts about the LO's (for all vehicles) is the govt puts some oil and some hydraulic and some grease on each page. DRIVES ME NUTS. Why not put all the grease in one or two pages and each location. Then put all the oil and then on the last pages the hydraulic...and if there is anything different fluids on other pages. So I hope to find a 'under vehicle diagram' I can modify to meet my mental hang up. I know they do these LO's just to F with my mind. AHHHH!!! I just can't take it anymore!!!

Here's a good question, for those that have repacked A2 axle bearings, how long did it take you the first time?

Plugugly

I'm installing new lockable door handles in my M923A2 today, and ordering a few other little things like some rubber cord to secure the soft top. I tried to use what was there, and it broke again.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Finished the GAA this morning except for two fittings I couldn't get to on propeller shaft. Too tight for grease gun. Will get the grease accessory kit out later and see if there's something there to fit in there.

I noticed in the Lub Order close view L shows a fitting on the front and rear of the front axle near where the kingpins are. There is no zerk fitting in any of these 4 holes. Assuming it's made this way.

Gotta get filters today.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a busy week and weekend and I got alot done. Most of it was electrical but there was plenty of other things to work on too. Installed new knuckle boots, installed a return spring on the Emergency Shut-Off arm, replaced the rusty dropside hinge pins with grade 8 bolts, installed a 24V to 12V converter, installed a 12V outlet strip on the side of the shifter with 3 outlets and greased every fitting on the truck.

I finished installing and wiring all the new led marker lights. Added 5 to the rear, 5 to the front and replaced the 6 side markers. Also installed the parking light adapter cable from Erik's and did some troubleshooting to get my front blinkers to blink. TIP: If your LED parking or tail lights won't blink and your grounds are good and the blinker unit is LED compatible, remove the indicator bulb from the blinker switch and see if that will fix it. If it does, then replace the indicator bulb with an LED. The blinker will still function without the bulb installed and will prevent backfeeding in the system. The backfeeding confuses the flasher unit causing them to brighten but not blink. I have Truck-Lite in the front, Grote in the rear and the parking light adapter installed. The Grotes blinked fine but I had to remove the incandescent bulb from the blinker switch to make the Truck-lites blink. I them replaced the bulb with an 24V LED bulb with a BA9S base.

View attachment 517563View attachment 517564View attachment 517565

Finished installing and wiring all the front and front-side area lights. I ended up replacing the switches in the picture with some waterproof ones. I'll be working on adding the rear and rear-side area lights next.

View attachment 517566View attachment 517567View attachment 517568View attachment 517569

Mounted some fuse blocks under the dash for 12V and 24V hook ups.

View attachment 517570

Installed a new PCB. The old one went crazy and gave me multiple problems with starting, ABS, charging and a few other things. The new one fixed all this. What a complicatedly simple little box.

View attachment 517571

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks