• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished the coolant filter install. I used the bottom two bolts for the transmission filter head to mount the bracket. Also picked up some Penray coolant additive and test strips from Truck Pro to get my coolant in check. I decided to do everything manually instead of using an SCA filter so the coolant filter is just a standard filter. Will be installing a block heater tomorrow night to finish up my work on the cooling system.

Also ran the starter cables through some 1" rubber hose to keep them from grounding to the block. I had noticed the bad routing when going over the truck when I first bought it...then read the horror stories on here. Shouldn't have to worry about it now. Got switch, extra cable and solder ends for the battery disconnect switch. Will probably get to that next weekend.

IMG_20141105_154141_612.jpg IMG_20141105_154218_594.jpg IMG_20141105_154156_401.jpg IMG_20141105_154248_564.jpg

Plugugly

That's cool Swamp Donkey, I'm doing the same on my 923A2 on Friday, a coolant filter and the frost plug heater. Today all I did was make a glad hand to air hose adapter, in case I want to chase leaks or fill a tire off the trucks air system.

Attachments

FullSpecial

Changed over a GSS Seat from Right hand to left in preparation for install.
Didn't fit together as tight as it was but I'll give it another go:
WP_20141105_20_14_30_Pro.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's cool Swamp Donkey, I'm doing the same on my 923A2 on Friday, a coolant filter and the frost plug heater. Today all I did was make a glad hand to air hose adapter, in case I want to chase leaks or fill a tire off the trucks air system.
Thanks. Those glad hands do come in handy. I've used mine several times since I made it.

shadowdd

Washed the beast and sprayed her down with a gallon of WD-40 for that nice ever wet look.... Installed new headlights.... rebuilt the three lever light switch so the contacts are all clean and functional.... Oh, and pulled a few stumps and trees at the new land to clear it off a little!

Bryan

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I finally got to installing the hemtt rims and 1600 xzl . Pulling the thimble caps was a bit of a pain some snapped the ends off so welded the nuts to the ones that did to get them off . Very happy with the ride pulls hard still a bit more down shifting . I used Alcoa 5995 recessed nuts .. so no need to change the studs .
Do you have a thread about your k-boom crane?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took care of some minor rust on the floor boards and sprayed with bed liner. I'm not going to put the twin seat/ battery box back in, maybe two air rides and a glove box ( with cup holders) between the two seats.

Attachments

Took care of some minor rust on the floor boards and sprayed with bed liner. I'm not going to put the twin seat/ battery box back in, maybe two air rides and a glove box ( with cup holders) between the two seats.
I have similar thoughts. Narrow down the stock passengers' seat into a one-person center jump seat to hold 2 batteries and 2 air-ride seats.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I think I could figure out a box for two battries in the cab. Was thinking about relocate them to the lower tool box. I don't think I will ever get it deep enough in salt water to short them out. Just got two air rides for the cab as I'm typeing.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zerostart 8601046 1500w block heater. Kit came with heater, cord and gasket. While we have milder temps in Georgia, we do have some cold temps at times that would make starting difficult. I really don't want to get on the ether routine during cold weather so this should take care of that. Took about an hour to install.

IMG_20141109_121938_456.jpg

JarheadMtn

I am leaving my 813 up on the mountain for the winter and it probably will be snowed in until June. The tires get pretty low when parked that long so I jacked up every tire and put logs under the axel to support the weight. I should have 5 or 6 feet of snow up there in a month or so. The 813 barely makes the turns when the road is dry. There is a steep drop off on the down hill side of the road and I have enough trouble getting a pick up back on if it slide off.... There are no anchors up there big enough to winch the 5 ton back on the road. So she gets the winter off.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks