• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

dawico

I strapped my 2 batteries down. The previous owner replaced them but the original bracket didn't fit them and they were sitting there loose.

I adjusted the driver's door window to make it seal a little better.

I also found out why the passenger seatbelts are so short too. It helps if you keep them from getting hung up under the seat/ battery lid.

I bent the passenger seat latches so they actually hold the seat down and stay latched.

I used the air to fix my wife's tire this morning. Dang that is handy. I also rubbed it in that my truck airs up it's own tires.

tbar123

I cleaned all my lenses, the proper way with 1000,and 3000 grit sandpaper and polished with scratch remover turned out pretty good. Although I destroyed one of the red lenses trying one of those"easy" fixes that did not work.I also did my mother's headlights in the same fashion. I added those to show the difference between before and after. The pics I took of the lenses didn't turn out very good.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being sick and tired of throwing my chocks in the bed and no room anywhere else, I installed a storage bracket on my left fuel tank protector. And, yes, I checked for clearance during axle articulation. I just put the 4-ton on it and lifted it the stop [thumbzup]. The chocks and the bracket are both from Worden's and are made for each other.
View attachment 531318View attachment 531319View attachment 531317

I installed a jerry can holder along the right side of the in-bed tool box I installed about a month ago. The holder used to hang on the right/rear mudguard, but after the drop side bed was installed the configuration wasn't working anymore.
View attachment 531315View attachment 531316
Nice job on the chock holders and storage but my OCD says one more fuel can needed on the left side. lol

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
COOL! I wish I could use mine for things like this. Bravo!
I was going to say that all you need is a chain and a tree and the truck would do the rest but then I saw Museum in your signature. Is that the hang up?

I'll take more "earning its keep" pictures next time for ya.

Carlo

I was going to say that all you need is a chain and a tree and the truck would do the rest but then I saw Museum in your signature. Is that the hang up?

I'll take more "earning its keep" pictures next time for ya.
We don't have the freedom to do what we want on our own land as you have in the USA. I don't think many people there know just how lucky you are and what you have received. If I cut a tree for no reason my neighbor can call the forest police and they will decide if it was a justified cause of cutting the tree or not and fine me! Ridiculous!!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We don't have the freedom to do what we want on our own land as you have in the USA. I don't think many people there know just how lucky you are and what you have received. If I cut a tree for no reason my neighbor can call the forest police and they will decide if it was a justified cause of cutting the tree or not and fine me! Ridiculous!!
I can understand where you would take issue with a law like that.

While not a law, we do have a self imposed rule on our property that we only take trees that came down naturally. So basically storm blown trees is all we get. Some years there are no downed trees and we have to go elsewhere. Some are in really unaccessible parts of the property. The one I pulled out blew down last year. It took about 4 hours to make enough head room for the truck to come down the trail. It took about 10 minutes to pull it back to the house. ;)

There is another tree that will involve a creek crossing we might go after next week. If we do, I'll make a video for you. It'll probably involve a stuck truck and no wood but that's all part of the adventure, right?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends where you live. Cutting down a random tree on your property in Redmond, WA can cost you thousands in fines. Anyone with more than 10 acres must keep 65% of it in the natural vegetative state permanently in King County, WA. California can be even worse.

corvette9

I sent my 936A2 to a nearby Allision dealer to have the trans tuned up. I had a problem with the shifter. It would not let you select the gear you wanted. Nomatter what gear you put the shifter in it would just shift like it was in 5th gear.

The dealer told me it was an easy fix and it was. They dropped the valve body fixed my shifter problem then adjusted all the shift points. They also set the valve pressures. After flushing the trans they filled it with syn. fluid and changed all filters.

Well worth the money. The truck shifts perfect. It is so smooth it's like driving a car. The trans temp dropped about 30 degrees. Now I can manuelly shift the truck as it should. Here in Ct everywhere you go is hills. The 936 is so heavy you need to be able to hold the truck in whatever gear to keep the RPM's up so you can march right up hills instead of it shifting to next gear when it wants to.

Best money I'v spent on this truck so far.

Brian G.

Scott88M

About how much does all that cost? I'm not sure if that's something i want to do eventually or not but I'd feel more confident in an allison shop doing it. Where in CT? I'm in RI.

dawico

I sent my 936A2 to a nearby Allision dealer to have the trans tuned up. I had a problem with the shifter. It would not let you select the gear you wanted. Nomatter what gear you put the shifter in it would just shift like it was in 5th gear.

The dealer told me it was an easy fix and it was. They dropped the valve body fixed my shifter problem then adjusted all the shift points. They also set the valve pressures. After flushing the trans they filled it with syn. fluid and changed all filters.

Well worth the money. The truck shifts perfect. It is so smooth it's like driving a car. The trans temp dropped about 30 degrees. Now I can manuelly shift the truck as it should. Here in Ct everywhere you go is hills. The 936 is so heavy you need to be able to hold the truck in whatever gear to keep the RPM's up so you can march right up hills instead of it shifting to next gear when it wants to.

Best money I'v spent on this truck so far.

Brian G.
I assume it had oil in it and they replaced it with transmission fluid? This seems to be a common service to these transmissions.

corvette9

Yes it had oil in it when I got it from GL.

Atlantic Allision Detroit is in Middletown CT. It cost me 1200.00 but they did fix my shifter problem which is why I sent it there in the first place. If you own other civi trucks and pay to maintain them 1200.00 is peanuts. Just the shift points being right makes it all worth it.

Brian G.

Amer-team

repaired the drivers door handle, which was failing to engage the door mechanism, so you couldn't open from the outside. Tech advice from another thread on this subject. It was very good advice and the repair went smoothly.

dawico

I swapped my wiper blades to commercial blades using the original hardware. I can post pics if anyone wants to know what I did but it is just that simple.

I also figured out how to lock my combat door locks from the outside. Kinda handy since I don't have locking handles yet. All that is required is a long reach and a soft top.

I also used it to haul a pile of lumber. I think the truck enjoyed it.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the Quick Release Valve in the step box. Didn't fix my issue so more troubleshooting. I took apart the old one and it was fine so I still have a spare. I think at this point I'm just going to disassemble and check all the little valves in the air brake system to see what condition they're in. I'll have a better understanding of what everything does, the condition of everything and will eventually find my problem.

IMG_20141217_212447_341.jpg

So after that failed attempt I went to a little surplus place and found these in the bottom of a box. The rubber in them is perfect, like they were just made yesterday. He knew what they were and knew about what they go for, but he didn't know he had them so he let me go for little of nothing. He's got a new customer now...

IMG_20141220_222413_059.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks