• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

TruAg

Drove my M936A2 300 plus miles home. Changed the oil, oil filter, trans oil filter, fuel filter, water separator, drained winches and put new gear oil in them.

Organized tool boxes and put new locks on them.

Then I played around with it a little.

1939554_10155140500405223_8347224217449415173_n.jpg10649818_10155140495745223_6444591026523589305_n.jpg

I know, I know, no helmets or protective equipment. Mom has already gotten on to me. But not as much fun all geared up. ;)

Replaced one axle boot with non zippered boot on my M52A2 axle seal was also replaced. I made this tool and it worked good it made the drum and hub easy to slide on and off and spin the hub when adjusting the bearings it stopped the hub from turning when tightening the bolts on the drive flange .

Attachments

Plugugly

I bought some locking door handles for my A2 when I got it, they were garbage. After getting locked out of my own truck, I took them off and replaced them with much cheaper and higher quality "locking square shank L handles" that actually work. I had to cut the shank to fit lengthwise, but that was a 2 minute affair. Now my door handles work. Lesson learned, these things were built from common parts. Don't buy something just because it's already green, when you can find it searching for much cheaper.

dawico

I bought some locking door handles for my A2 when I got it, they were garbage. After getting locked out of my own truck, I took them off and replaced them with much cheaper and higher quality "locking square shank L handles" that actually work. I had to cut the shank to fit lengthwise, but that was a 2 minute affair. Now my door handles work. Lesson learned, these things were built from common parts. Don't buy something just because it's already green, when you can find it searching for much cheaper.
Any links or pictures for that? Sounds interesting.

dawico

I finished flushing my cooling system after my stuck thermostat incident and refilled it with Rotella ELC coolant that I found at Tractor Supply. 50/50 mix BTW. A coolant filter is in the near future.

New oil and filters, fuel filters (priming it sucked), and changed out my axle vent caps for fittings and hoses. The hoses run above the tops of the tires now. All three vents hissed when I removed them so hopefully some of my class 1 axle leaks will stop.

I also ran a new hose for my window washer bottle so that system works now.

I found a part number for dash light bulbs at Oreilly's and will be replacing a few of them later. If it goes well I will start a thread.

Next will be some touch up on some rough spots to begin the paint process.

These are the filters I had Oreilly's track down for me (923a2 6CTA).

Attachments

Last edited:

todds112

Got her titled and registered! Fixed a leaking CTIS connection on a rear tire. The big connector on the pipe coming from the hub had almost slid completely off. Noticed I lost a front wheel weight and ordered a new one. Replaced front pinion seal.

MtnSnow

Well after a bunch of diagnostic work my M925-A2 aka "The Beast II" is ALIVE!

Ultimately what it ended up being the problem of why the dealer I picked it from so cheaply from was...(they couldn't get it running for 1.5 years...didn't have a diesel knowledgeable person working on it)
1. A Dead Fuel shutoff (removed for now)
2. Broken Bleeder valve on the primary fuel canister (the one inside the wheel wheel) it was partially broken off so it was sucking major air!
3. A Leaking Lift Pump (primer pump) along with a leaking STE/ICE sending unit that was installed... I replaced with a new lift pump & pipe plug (not replacing the STE/ICE sending unit since it does me no good anyways without the diagnostic equipment..)
And then finally & lastly
4. A improperly installed fuel return/bypass check valve. The spring was backwards which allowed the check ball to go inside the spring thus the IP was unable to build pressure for the injectors.

Once I fixed those issues I was able to get it running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Ys4grerrY

:grd:

Next things up for this unit my plans are oil changes (Engine, Trans, Diffs,PTO,Winch), & Coolant change, Redo the fuel system to use Dual Water separator spin-on filters instead of the canister besides the standard small block mounted filter, Replace the tach sending unit at the IP cover as it's jerky and not working well (it was pretty rusty and doesn't like to turn very easily). Replace the broken turn signal controller on the steering column, Fix the drivers side door window crank, and adjust the transmission shift linkage as it's finicky to find neutral. Besides all of the other normal maintenance type things that need to be done...lol

Last edited:

todds112

Well after a bunch of diagnostic work my M925-A2 aka "The Beast II" is ALIVE!

Ultimately what it ended up being the problem of why the dealer I picked it from so cheaply from was...(they couldn't get it running for 1.5 years...didn't have a diesel knowledgeable person working on it)
1. A Dead Fuel shutoff (removed for now)
2. Broken Bleeder valve on the primary fuel canister (the one inside the wheel wheel) it was partially broken off so it was sucking major air!
3. A Leaking Lift Pump (primer pump) along with a leaking STE/ICE sending unit that was installed... I replaced with a new lift pump & pipe plug (not replacing the STE/ICE sending unit since it does me no good anyways without the diagnostic equipment..)
And then finally & lastly
4. A improperly installed fuel return/bypass check valve. The spring was backwards which allowed the check ball to go inside the spring thus the IP was unable to build pressure for the injectors.

Once I fixed those issues I was able to get it running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Ys4grerrY

:grd:

Next things up for this unit my plans are oil changes (Engine, Trans, Diffs,PTO,Winch), & Coolant change, Redo the fuel system to use Dual Water separator spin-on filters instead of the canister besides the standard small block mounted filter, Replace the tach sending unit at the IP cover as it's jerky and not working well (it was pretty rusty and doesn't like to turn very easily). Replace the broken turn signal controller on the steering column, Fix the drivers side door window crank, and adjust the transmission shift linkage as it's finicky to find neutral. Besides all of the other normal maintenance type things that need to be done...lol
Wow, great work tracking those issues down! That has to be an obscure thing to have a check valve in backwards! I can see how that would get overlooked for a while.

dawico

Went out and tried the new dash light bulbs and they work well.

I will start a thread about it since I had a hard time finding a local cheap source for them. It was about $12 for 10 bulbs at Oreilly's.

I also found a good cheap cup holder at Oreilly's. It fits right between the seats and requires no fastening to stay put.

Attachments

Last edited:

dawico

Dawico, that cup holder doesn't interfere with your high low range lever?

Mounted a fire extinguisher to the shift tower today.
It is right in the way of the lever actually, but not mounted in any way. It is wedged against the parking brake housing. I do not use the transfer case lever much so it isn't an issue. It can stay in place while accessing the battery box too.

It is cheap enough and in a great spot for driver access.

Amer-team

I use a small plastic box that sits right in front of the passenger seat box. It does slide a bit, so if that is an issue, I put a small towel or rag under it and that takes care of the sliding. It holds up to six cans or water bottles and a few pens. I painted it with the Behr Desert tan paint and it looks nearly like a stock item.
It doesn't seem to interfere with passenger leg room and one could put a bolt through it into the battery box and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed 4 extra support rods to my roof to stop the drooping and help with not trapping water on the wet days. It looks much better too.

20150208_091306.jpg

I also installed a glovebox/cup holder which I put in all of my trucks. It's very handy and convenient.

20150208_091329.jpg 20150208_091350.jpg 20150208_091432.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks