• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

ke5eua

Oh, Well I was completely wrong again! LOL! Good way to do it!
Good theft deterrent if I put some good locks on the chains.

Today since it is still a little chilly I decided to remove the center hump and start stripping the paint off in preparation for smoothing, and painting.

Looking at the transmission I noticed something and was wondering what this is. Doesn't look like it does anything but just wondering.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425232546.002511.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425232579.520138.jpg

What I got done so far, I need to get a mask though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425232621.426189.jpg

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the transmission I noticed something and was wondering what this is. Doesn't look like it does anything but just wondering.

View attachment 545150

View attachment 545151
That is the exhaust port for that twin poppet valve. You know, where you hear the audible "PFFT" when go from Neutral to Reverse and back again. You can attach tubing or piping to route it to higher location, but DON'T plug it.

ke5eua

That is the exhaust port for that twin poppet valve. You know, where you hear the audible "PFFT" when go from Neutral to Reverse and back again. You can attach tubing or piping to route it to higher location, but DON'T plug it.
Ahh, I might route it upwards in the cab but then again that would assume I am going to go in the mud again, lol

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished up the PTO seals job by refilling the transmission oil. That's always a messy job, but this time I used a better transfer pump (with few modifications, i.e. longer hose and a bottom stand-off). It only took a little over five minutes to pump 11-some-odd qts. all back in. The hose slipped out once, but the mess was very minimal compared to the the last pump I was using.
5_Gallon_Pail_Pump.jpg

I installed a new Fram fuel filter/water separator and a couple stick-on 4" X 5.5" convex mirrors at the bottom of the main mirrors.

Last edited:

Amer-team

Put new O rings in the front turn signal covers. Kept getting moisture in them. Will see if that works. Mounted fire extinguisher to shift tower. Started working on a ridge pole for the the cargo bed top. Am using a fiberglass troop seat slat. Will have to section something in as the troops seat slats are a bit short. Am hoping that this will help with the top sag and let the water run off better.

tbar123

I had a pretty productive day today! I first flushed the coolant system, and wow was this thing gummed up. I then reinstalled the 2nd temp sensor, and the fan clutch actuator valve. I also changed the coolant filter, next was installing the Extinguisher, then it was on to replacing the passenger side window washer motor. After that I replaced the heater blower motor, and since the one being replaced had a gasket on the intake, I switched that one to the new one that didn't have the gasket.Finally I tried my best to burp the system of air from the purge valve on the heater core and man was there a tremendous amount of air in it, it pushed air out for more than 20 seconds. Is there any other way/or better way to do this? But at the EOD I still need another gallon of coolant, and another gallon of distilled water.Oh I also measured the A2 spare tire carrier that I recently purchased and It is 17" wide and the distance between the cab and bed is 16" So I'll have to rework my original plan on that but I'm sure I'll get it!

Attachments

Another Ahab

But at the EOD I still need another gallon of coolant, and another gallon of distilled water.Oh I also measured the A2 spare tire carrier that I recently purchased and It is 17" wide and the distance between the cab and bed is 16" So I'll have to rework my original plan on that but I'm sure I'll get it!
If you close one eye while you look at the tape, it might read 17":

- And then you're all good, perfect fit!

Ford Mechanic

Ford, what rally's or shows are you going to this year?
We're going to the Denton NC. Rally in April. Our finances are preventing us from going to the Georgia rally this year. Otherwise we don't have any other ones on the books. How about you?

I've decided it would be to long of a rig to hook the camper to the 5 ton. I was worried about the turning radius conflicts with such a long trailer.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks