• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks great and I also would like to know where you get the chain from? I've got the shackles mounted, but no chain.
Thanks. The chain assembly isn't military. I just put it together with parts I already had and painted it to keep the rust down. The chain is 1/2" G80 and the hooks were from a damaged wire rope sling. The hooks have some crazy high rating and the large opening comes in handy. It's just my stump pulling chain but the chain is actually is too small.

I've broken it twice already doing straight pulls with no bouncing. Now it just hangs there with stretched links as a trophy of sorts, lol. I've got a length of 5/8" G100 chain I'm going to swap to, but I've got to get some larger couplings for the hooks.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new water pump, installed coolent filter, installed battery cut off switch keyed, key lock door handles.
Installed CPU and pcu and now my Ctis works like it's suppose to.

Now winches front and rear, new paint and install led lightning.

Amer-team

I drove it! And it was fun! Also polished the turn signal and taillight lenses. The poor M54 has been languishing behind the M923, so got it out to run it a bit this weekend.

tbar123

I finally got around to installing the A2 spare tire carrier. It was a bigger job than originally anticipated!Had some holes to drill, only 3 if you can believe that!
Pic #5;The A1 spare tire carrier removed. The 4 arrows are the main attachment holes ,which aligned perfectly with the A2.
Pic #4;2 holes were drilled for the upper exhaust support.
Pic #2;A2 carrier bolted into place,The red L shaped line will be cut off for clearance.The red arrow is the 3rd hole that was drilled for mounting.
Pic #3; You can see the upper exhaust support bracket in place, The red box will also be cut off for clearance.
Pic #1;Almost a tragic end to the day. I had the spare tire up in the air checking to see what else needed to be moved, When the eyelet broke off and the tire hit my thigh and due to my lightning fast reflexes I was able to move just enough to get out of the way! As you can see someone doesn't know how to weld!But I will say it was my fault for NOT properly inspecting it before use.
Pic #6; What could've been bolted here?

IMG_20150307_184641_151.jpgIMG_20150307_171025_444.jpgIMG_20150307_171017_205.jpgIMG_20150307_163516_798.jpgIMG_20150307_143034_908.jpgIMG_20150307_125733_146.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tbar,
Nice work, hopefully you have a "soldier B" assisting? You wouldn't be the first guy found knocked out (or worse) next to your truck.

machinist75

I finally got around to installing the A2 spare tire carrier. It was a bigger job than originally anticipated!Had some holes to drill, only 3 if you can believe that!
Pic #5;The A1 spare tire carrier removed. The 4 arrows are the main attachment holes ,which aligned perfectly with the A2.
Pic #4;2 holes were drilled for the upper exhaust support.
Pic #2;A2 carrier bolted into place,The red L shaped line will be cut off for clearance.The red arrow is the 3rd hole that was drilled for mounting.
Pic #3; You can see the upper exhaust support bracket in place, The red box will also be cut off for clearance.
Pic #1;Almost a tragic end to the day. I had the spare tire up in the air checking to see what else needed to be moved, When the eyelet broke off and the tire hit my thigh and due to my lightning fast reflexes I was able to move just enough to get out of the way! As you can see someone doesn't know how to weld!But I will say it was my fault for NOT properly inspecting it before use.
Pic #6; What could've been bolted here?

View attachment 546565View attachment 546564View attachment 546563View attachment 546562View attachment 546561View attachment 546560

Did did you move the bed back to acomodate the wider tire? If you did how far back did you have to move it?

tbar123

Scar; I'm a one man crew! I'm very fortunate that when it snapped the chain fall and the eyelet went the other direction, or I might be in the hospital right now!

Machinist; I did not move the bed. That was my original plan, but because I would have to weld (no welder) new brackets on. I just had to improvise. I think it's going to work!

Carlo; There is a couple big differences between the 2. 1 Is that the base ( of the boom/crane) has a slanted angle for more structual integrity( A2). 2 The boom steel pipe thickness is almost double on the A1,3 On the A2 the tire platform is 4" wider. 4 The angled supports on either side are much thicker and stronger. 5 The exhaust support is completely different. The only thing I can say is that someone has already installed an A2 carrier on your truck. There are more differences but those are the ones that come to mind.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tbar,
I believe your truck was just a M923 with 11.00 x 20 tires. A1s & A2s have the same tire; 14.00 x 20. hence they share the same spare tire carrier. You upgraded your tires and I came and picked up your 11.00 x 20s.
JC

tbar123

Scar; That is correct, but there is a definite difference between the 2 tire carriers.They might have come from the factory with 2 different carriers per what tire they were built with.There is also a difference between the distance of the cab and bed. I can't recall right off the top of my head, but the trucks with super singles, the bed is located further back than with trucks with the doubles. I can also say with utmost certainty that there are 2 different type of carriers.

Something else I just thought of in regards to Carlo's truck is that it might have been manufactured with the singles and somewhere down the line the truck was converted to doubles!

MtnSnow

Really only 2 versions. The M939 (A0-Duals) and the version for Super Singles aka M939 A1 & A2 trucks.

Your truck is/was a M923 (aka A0) which was converted over to super singles After leaving the service of Uncle Sam... thus it was "upgraded" to A1 version but the tire carrier had not been changed to the A1/A2 style until you just did so...

tbar123

Mtnsnow; Thank you Sir, That really clears a lot up for me. I thought that any 5 ton before the A2 was classified as an A1.So that is the reason why Carlo's truck has the wider version.

MtnSnow

I have the wide tire version that fits a 1600. not sure which one that came off of.
Since None of the M939 series trucks was/were issued with the 1600's I would venture a guess the carrier now in use on your M939 series truck came from something else Unless a 1600 can fit in the standard A1/A2 carrier. (I haven't tried or measured to see if a 1600 could fit in a standard issued (aka 1400) A1/A2 carrier.

machinist75

Does anyone know what all is involved in moving the bed back to the A1/A2 location? Is it just a matter of drilling new holes? I read somewhere there were longer bumperettes.

MtnSnow

Tbar,

Yep. 3 versions of the M939 series trucks.

M939 (aka A0 but the "A0" was not an official designation so the M939 is the base/starting version - built with NHC250 engine & Dual wheels)
M939A1 (A1 is the official designation for the trucks built with Super Singles but still with the NHC250 engine)
M939A2 (A2 is the official designation for the trucks built with the 8.3 6CTA motor & Super Singles)

Last edited:

tbar123

Machinist; I can tell you that there are 4 L shaped brackets on the frame that basically bolt the bed to the frame that are not adjustable. So you would have to weld new brackets into place. I think there is also 2 spring loaded bolt locations that also would need to be moved.But that is how my truck is, as proven I'm still in my learning curve, But with the help of the great people on this site. I'm learning!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks