• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

dawico

I climbed under mine and disconnected the auto-6x6 low range pusher. Many recommend removing the washer but I loosened the Allen screw on the arm and turned it so it wouldn't connect. That seems much easier then getting the washer out, and simpler to reverse if need be.

Mingler

I am still just working on Getting rid of all the rust and painting it green. Question for you guys...I have a tan canopy cover. Can i paint it green or do I need to buy a new one?

brasco

I installed new O-rings in the fuel selector valve on the M931A2... now I just need to let it set for 2 weeks to see if it loses it's prime like before. I also installed new wiper blades and cleaned the windows. I'm now glad I didn't relegate the M931A2 to a parts truck. I drove it around over the weekend and it runs and shifts great.

Another Ahab

I am still just working on Getting rid of all the rust and painting it green. Question for you guys...I have a tan canopy cover. Can i paint it green or do I need to buy a new one?
This question of yours here is not entirely clear:

- or you asking if painting a canopy, as an idea, is either 1) good?, or 2) bad?

Is that the question?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted and installed a set of these improved heavy duty frame tie-downs. I bought them as a kit with hardware. Why? I don't know. Cool factor, maybe?? I use the ones between the rear axles to chain lock my chocks up. My truck takes 14 and the kit included 16, so I have two extra.

DSC_0447.jpgDSC_0446.jpgDSC_0444.jpgDSC_0445.jpgDSC_0443.jpgDSC_0442.jpgDSC_0441.jpg

JarheadMtn

Yes I am asking if paint will stick to the canopy, or will it flake off.
You may want to talk with the paint manufactures to see what they say about their product and if it will or will not work on the canopy. I would think that it would have to be a very flexible rubber type paint if it was going to stick to the canopy and not crack and fall apart and would probably be pretty expensive. I would think it would be a lot easier and maybe even cheaper to just buy a canopy that is the correct color.

Another Ahab

You may want to talk with the paint manufactures to see what they say about their product and if it will or will not work on the canopy. I would think that it would have to be a very flexible rubber type paint if it was going to stick to the canopy and not crack and fall apart and would probably be pretty expensive. I would think it would be a lot easier and maybe even cheaper to just buy a canopy that is the correct color.
Agreeing with JarheadMtn here:

- For this to work, I'm thinking you'd need to use a stain of some kind, instead of paint.

And then of course you can only stain from a lighter shade to a darker one (but -without bleaching- not the other way around). So in your case, a stain should work OK. It'll ave you the cost of a new canopy, and less cost is always better than more cost, right?

Last edited:
I painted and installed a set of these improved heavy duty frame tie-downs. I bought them as a kit with hardware. Why? I don't know. Cool factor, maybe?? I use the ones between the rear axles to chain lock my chocks up. My truck takes 14 and the kit included 16, so I have two extra.

View attachment 548624
Looks like it would make a great grab handle somewhere. I'm sure you'll find a use for them.

Alexsha

Where did you pick those up? I can think of a lot of uses for them. I want a couple sets!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try the behr paint it's designed to be pit on just about anything even vinyl siding.
And that stuff stuff moves quite a bit with the sun heating it then cooling at night.

Plugugly

I painted and mounted my air prefilter that I had ordered before. I didn't have any time for a test drive, but there is no doubt it will flow more air than the little mushroom that was nearly Carc'ed shut. I took a photo of my Filterminder before I reset it, so I can compare the results.
20150320_155205.jpg20150320_155224.jpg

ke5eua

Well got couple of things accomplished over the weekend. Got the 923a2 "Beast" through it's annual state safety inspection with flying colors and the tech doing it went over it with a fine tooth comb. But I knew it would so it's ready for the road for another year of shows and what not :)

On the Beast II I tried out a new air intake snorkel for it as the original had been caved in (looked like someone/something had taken a sledgehammer to it a couple of times). I ended up liking the look so I have another setup being sent to me from Amazon (5" ID to 3.5" OD adapter) & Ebay (the 3.5" ID snorkel) In very quick testing I could see that the Snorkel even with it being 3.5" it flows more air than the stock mushroom cap does as the air restriction gauge didn't hardly move when reset with the Snorkel but it was close to 1/2 way with the stock cap after a quick run after resetting the indicator. When the other arrives I will do more in depth testing to include a drive on the highway instead of just in the storage yard.

Oh yeah here is a pic of it.

View attachment 548086 View attachment 548085

Of course I will end up painting the adapter and snorkel when this truck gets re-painted. I will also put a tack-weld or move the clamp that held the mushroom cap on over to this to keep it well secured.

Still need to check on the fuel pickup tube on the Beast II.Will need to gather up a few more 5 gallon buckets that I can drain the fuel into (It came with close to a 1/2 tank or more) so I can move the tank out far enough to pull the tube without bending/destroying it and then get the replacement or fixed tube back into it without screwing it up. I'll also plan on double checking the fuel sending unit as it gauge is always reading FULL even though I know that the tank is currently at about 1/2.
Can you pass along where you got it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks