• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Airbornebandsman recovered my newly acquired GP M934 from Ft. Sam early this week and I'm still trying to figure out just what in the H*ll I'm going to do with it. A d*mn big food truck, go anywhere job site trailer, 6x6 rolling billboard, on-site deer processor, on-call roadblock. Any other suggestions?
Temporary classroom?

Mobile detention center?

Oversized ice cream truck!?

dawico

I mounted a cheap Harbor Freight hoist on mine. Nothing heavy duty but enough to load spares/ tool boxes/ empty fuel tanks. They sell for $150 new but found mine used in new condition on CL for $50. I couldn't pass it up.

Mounting was simple since the angle iron braces weren't much thicker than the truck bed. The unit itself will fail before the mounting does.

I used one of the drain holes (or whatever they are for) and made sure it cleared the troop seat. Easy peasy and my back is grateful.

I plan on leaving the pole mounted and keeping the unit in a toolbox. The pole can be removed easily though if need be.
uploadfromtaptalk1427650948787.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427651180912.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427651922756.jpg

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the assistance of our resident Cummins guru, Brother WillWagner, we changed out some crappy rocker box gaskets (the #3 was leaking down the back of the block) for the good stuff, new fuel jumper o-rings, new rocker shaft o-rings and, topping it all off, some new rocker box cover gaskets. All was topped off with a nice smoke reducing tune-up.

After that, I installed the last two frame tie-downs I missed next to the fuel tanks.

Another Ahab

I am curious to know, KE7FVB, what is that thing above the cab; a weather vane or something?
View attachment 550638
It's just a weather vane I set up when I'm camping, I kind of have a geek streak
Yeah, I get it; an anemometer (long time since I used that word).

If you try camping someday on Mt. Washington, that thing might generate enough lift to get your 5-ton airborne!

sd39u

I received my new muffler this afternoon and was able to install it on my truck about 2 hours after UPS dropped it off. Quick picture as the sun was setting on me while we got the tools put away.

Next order of business is hooking up the slave cables to the batteries and figuring out why the horn isn't working. I found the right section in the TM...so it's time to read up and get ready. I'm planning on using the truck to tailgate at the Kansas City Royals home opener on April 6th!
IMG_2628.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next order of business is hooking up the slave cables to the batteries and figuring out why the horn isn't working. I found the right section in the TM...so it's time to read up and get ready. I'm planning on using the truck to tailgate at the Kansas City Royals home opener on April 6th!

Another member on the 5 ton forum did a great write up on a cheap diode in the ground wire by the horns / solenoid/ mounting bracket being the culprit. The diode is in a black bubble looking section in the wiring and easy to overlook if you don't know it. I cut mine out, spliced the diode in and back to parade time loudness.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Block heater installed. (It's now 60 out during the day of course)
Got the fittings and valves installed for a coolant filter. And the filter and base are on the passenger seat. Maybe next weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks