• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow bar storage/shifter handle

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...with pictures, even!

I finally settled on under bed storage for my towbar since putting on the new dropside bed last August. I used a shackle mount bolted to the bed under the floor with a 1/4" steel backing plate in the bed for strength. A grade 5 7/8"-9 X 10" bolt with nut and washer secure it to the shackle mount via the towbar 1" feet. On the lunette end I used a cargo strap looped through a 5/8" heavy duty oval lifting eye nut bolted to the frame. It is very secure on the shackle/bolt side once the nut and bolt are snugged up. I will add a lock washer for insurance and maybe a locking pin through the bolt for security. The cargo strap keeps it from bouncing between the bed floor and under frame. It is fairly easy to load and unload one leg at a time.
DSC_0096.jpgDSC_0101.jpgDSC_0097.jpgDSC_0100.jpgDSC_0099.jpg

I wanted the old school trucker look, so I put a tapered shifter handle. I like it better than a knob aesthetically and functionally.
DSC_0103.jpg

ke5eua

Started working on the dash today. Pending rain for the weekend and next week has put a damper on painting some more. As I was cutting the dash I could feel the disturbance in the purist hearts knowing a good 818 dash was being modified to accept a 939 instrument cluster.

I have one more cut to do for my Xantrex ProSine 2.0 inverter control panel. Not sure where it is going to go yet.

20150416_144420.jpg

20150416_144520.jpg

ke5eua

Expanding on my earlier post.

Shaved the paint down to bare metal on the cluster and applied copious amounts of this 2 in 1 bond and sealer stuff and put the clust in its hole. Weighed it down with some batteries. Plan to leave it like that till Monday.

20150416_194845.jpg

20150416_194900.jpg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
For this week? It appears I sold it....and the M1061 trailer and I didn't have to shoot it full of holes or take scrap price for it.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished the winch and it works!!!. Now I will change the oil after work tomorrow. Then start looking at my m105a3

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well not 5 ton so I guess we need a 20 ton thread. I am doing this though and don't want to hear how heavy you 5 ton drums are!!!!!!!

Got my new 24.5 tires and tubeless steel wheels on all the axles but the one I am working on.
Sorry about the crude cardboard mock up but yea to much space in the wheel well. Quick sheet metal work and think it might look better. My though with going to the 24.5 and taking off the 16x20 XZLs is that I am never going in water again. To much work and even with these tires and 6x6 it will still go places a tandem or single axle tuck could not go. Also if this is my bug out truck and I blow out a 16x20 out there somewhere don't think there will be XZLs everywhere by the side of the road. With going to the 24.5 and tubeless rims my chance are better in a bug out to grab a 24.5 off a truck on the sided of the road just out of fuel.
For those who did not guess this is my M920 Deuce drop side cargo bed that I will use with my converter dolly and pull off the pintle hitch my 6 ton man cave.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks