• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

74M35A2

Do you have any idea what the thinking is behind all that?

Or maybe it's all just random (like right-hand drive in UK, and left-hand drive everywhere else; or at least I think that's random).
Like a few things the US does, but not all of course, what they do is a little better in this case. Using a higher voltage in more electrically demanding situations keeps the current down and therefore wire size can be less, motor heat is lower, all of it. A load at 24V will pull half the current as the same load at 12V. Metric system is another example, they use units based off of everything divisible by 10, and we use units based off of length of the kings foot. Ugh.

As of why we stay 12V for heavy duty on-road in the US, it is a momentum thing. Majority of the vehicle is 12V architecture historically, and therefore it is easier and cheaper to just stay that way unless something comes along that just absolutely requires 24V and drives the change (electric valve actuation for example, 48V and higher). As an exception, MCI bus company is a 24V on-road application in the US. Japan is divided in half with 50Hz/60Hz utility power across their country. Sure, it should all be the same, but once built and working, it would take a lot of $ to commonize it. Instead, their motor type appliances either have 2 different speed ratings, or a switch to configure them.

Another Ahab

Like a few things the US does, but not all of course, what they do is a little better in this case. Using a higher voltage in more electrically demanding situations keeps the current down and therefore wire size can be less, motor heat is lower, all of it. A load at 24V will pull half the current as the same load at 12V. Metric system is another example, they use units based off of everything divisible by 10, and we use units based off of length of the kings foot. Ugh.
We're a stubborn lot aren't we!?

I mean I remember as a kid all the talk about how the nation was going Metric.

I won't tell you LONG ago that was, but I remember telling Abe at Ford's Theater just before the show:

- "Hey, it wouldn't kill us to go along with this metric idea, would it!?"

JarheadMtn

Pulled the generator and air compressor out to the truck and aired up the tires so I could take it for a drive. It froze last night so it took a little starting fluid to get it running. Parked it in a new spot that I dozed out so its out of the way of our turn around spot. Life on the side of a mountain can make it hard to turn trailers around.

Spiralout

I installed a block heater and changed the coolant on my M923A1. I managed to break the petcock on the radiator and strip 2 sides of the nut that holds it there too. I grabbed a kiddie pool and several more 5 gallon buckets and just unhooked the radiator hose. Then I burned my last available daylight trying to find one of the 6 bolts from the water inspection plate. I had knocked it off the tire and stepped on it at some point... in the sand and leaves. I had to get the shop vac to blow all the debris away before I could find it. I wont get to test the heater out until tomorrow now.

Another Ahab

I installed a block heater and changed the coolant on my M923A1. I managed to break the petcock on the radiator and strip 2 sides of the nut that holds it there too. I grabbed a kiddie pool and several more 5 gallon buckets and just unhooked the radiator hose. Then I burned my last available daylight trying to find one of the 6 bolts from the water inspection plate. I had knocked it off the tire and stepped on it at some point... in the sand and leaves. I had to get the shop vac to blow all the debris away before I could find it. I wont get to test the heater out until tomorrow now.
It's funny to picture and read about, but I'm guessing you weren't laughing a whole lot during this twilight episode. :popcorn:

Spiralout

It's funny to picture and read about, but I'm guessing you weren't laughing a whole lot during this twilight episode. :popcorn:
I used to have a magnetic parts holder in my truck. When I installed locking door handles, the screws that came with it were non magnetic stainless steel. When I lost one of them out of the tray, I might have run the tray over with the truck out of spite. Now it came back to bite me, lesson learned. Luckily HF gives them away for free all the time.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tore my old muffler off and installed a straight pipe. Cut the upper bracket to make it a little straighter. Also removed the spare tire crane setup. Not sure what I am going to put there? Bigger toolbox? 20gal vertical air tank? Transfer tank? I also did a wheel O ring on a rear since it had a slow leak. Also bought some Sony Noise Cancelling headphones at Costco that are Bluetooth capable. Were $178 but I can only hear that puppy at WOT and No one can hear me if they call and I answer while I am driving it.

Attachments

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Touched up the roof paint where it had been all green and put some color back into it.

Added what's may be an excessive amount of LED lights, so likely just the right amount.

The front cluster:
WP_20150908_004.jpg

High and side / cargo lights.
WP_20150908_005.jpg

And some backup lights, with delineator plates.
WP_20150908_006.jpg

Took the stack off to swap out spare tires (The joy of an Non-A1 with the super singles). Didn't quite get that done yet. Maybe tonight.

And re-installed the 4 camera system, after finding the pinched wire that fried the voltage regulator. Need to re-route the front camera now that I'm happy with it's location.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks