• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Got my fire extinguisher inspected and tagged so it is up to date, per DOT regs. Finally got USDOT and PUCO numbers. Will be stencilling them on within the next couple days and then truck will be ready for DOT inspection.

I agree too with the A2 series. Nice to know that if you pick up a nail you still don't go flat.
Do you mean because of the CTIS?

I didn't know that it keeps up the air feed to a slow-leaking tire, is that it?

Another Ahab

Yeah, the ctis airs them up and maintains them. When my truck got delivered it had a very low tire and it was full by the time I looked back at it after getting the truck in my driveway. Hasnt went low since.
Yes it's should keep a tire up with a puncture.
I didn't know that feature of the system.

Most of what I read about the CTIS is complaint, but that feature has got some merit; pretty neat.

mdemars03

Kind of a sad day, but also an awesome day yesterday. Sold my M52A2 and purchased a M923A2. Should have it in my possession a week from today. I have a RT-524 and VIC-1 to install along with LED headlights. Then the real fun will start with accessories.

twisted60

Ordered parts, Just bought a M923A2, picking her up (first time) next month, can't wait, first planed work is change all fluids and filters, not 100% sure how long shes been sitting with out a good long run. So little by little I'll get her back to 100%.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally was able to get my M923 out on the road for a drive today. Took my daughter, my grandson and my brother for a cruise around town. This thing is a blast to drive. Lots of thumbs up along the way.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind of a sad day, but also an awesome day yesterday. Sold my M52A2 and purchased a M923A2. Should have it in my possession a week from today. I have a RT-524 and VIC-1 to install along with LED headlights. Then the real fun will start with accessories.

I know exactly how you feel, lol. Two out of my three trucks will be going to their new owners within the next few weeks. The first one gets delivered a week from today..... :)

JohnnyBM931A2

Finally was able to get my M923 out on the road for a drive today. Took my daughter, my grandson and my brother for a cruise around town. This thing is a blast to drive. Lots of thumbs up along the way.
Oh yeah.. Going for a drive in a 5 ton makes you forget about all the other "stuff" you have to deal with when you own one. Makes it all worthwhile 8):driver:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur. It was the first chance I have had to drive it since May. Was finally able to get it registered and tagged so had to take it out.

archmark

I finally got around to replacing the coolant in my M934. What should have taken a couple of hours at the most, ended up eating up the entire day. I knew something was wrong when I opened the drain cock and nothing come out, that is until I took a small Philips head screwdriver and poked it around in the drain. It was plugged solid and took 5 or 6 good jabs to get thru all the crap that had accumulated in the bottom of the radiator and get thing flowing, and flow it did as evidenced by the attached pictures. I make coffee that's lighter in color than the **** that's been circulating in the trucks cooling system.

After filling and draining the system 3 times without getting any results other than more of the brown stuff, I put in a couple of bottles of Prestone flush solution and a back flush tee. I let the truck run for an hour with the flush solution installed and then drained the system and started the back flush process. I back flushed the system with the truck running for over an hour before I finally got clean water coming out of the top and bottom of the system.

I also attempted to change out the shutterstat, but the unit I purchased was too long and the bulb ended up hitting the thermostat, so I've got to send it back and get one about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter. I put the old one back in, buttoned everything up and installed 6 gallons of Prestone and 3 gallons of purified water. I'm assuming that the remaining 3 gallons of water is what remained in the engine, but I'll find out if I need to top the system off with more water later today when I visit the beast.

With as dirty as the system was, the truck never ran hot, always showing +/-195 degrees on the temp gauge. I guess anything is possible when you've got 48 quarts of fluid circulating...

IMG_1670.jpgIMG_1669.jpgIMG_1668.jpgIMG_1667.jpgIMG_1666.jpgIMG_1665.jpgIMG_1662.jpgIMG_1661.jpgIMG_1658.jpgIMG_1657.jpgIMG_1656.jpg

tbar123

Archmark; I would suggest to pull the radiator and remove the end caps and blow the rad out, also do the same with the trans cooler. I had this same problem in my truck and After it was all said and done I wish I would've just did as I described.IMAG0026.jpgIMAG0025.jpgIMAG0024.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend flushing the coolant overflow tank and the heater core also. You will find brown mud there also.

Easy mod is to add a coolant filter. Check out my thread major zippidy or others as many have done so.

Nice truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks