• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

BnaditCorps

Finally primed and bedlined the inside of my second toolbox (the one under the passenger side door.) Once I get some type of rubber mat in there I can finish putting all of my tools in the truck. I was amazed at the amount of stuff I was able to fit in the smaller toolbox mounted behind the cab.. A 1" CP impact gun with extended anvil, 20 ton air-over-hydraulic jack, tire inflator with glad hand attachment, 25' of 1/2" air hose, and a bag with a long length of heavy duty tow chain. In the box I just painted, I will put in 4x4 wood cribbing, a "mechanics" tool kit in plastic case, a heavy duty tow strap, gloves, a good LED flashlight, a zip tie kit, spare 1/2" Milton fittings, teflon tape, and a hose clamp kit. In the cab I have a reflective vest, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and emergency triangle kit. Can you guys think of anything else I should have in there?
Road flares? That is more of a personal choice, but if you ever go off-road and get stuck...god forbid in a bad situation... you will want them. They light easily, and can light other things on fire easily, and can give rescuers a good fix on your location. Also on a crash on the highway you can throw them out to warn people with your triangles as well.

Also maybe bring a few bottles of Transmission fluid, and motor oil. That way if you get a leak you can fill it up enough to get back to civilization.

mdemars03

How did you get the rigistration done so quick? My title won't b here for at least a a month
I purchased the truck from another member here who already had the title. Once I had the title it was not too hard. Even though it isn't necessary I was at a truck stop with a scale and went ahead and got a weight on the truck. Last one I registered the tax office wanted an official weight so I figured with this one since I was there might as well get it weighed. Called and set up insurance from the parking lot of the truck stop then went to the tax office and finished up my paperwork. Start to finish only took about an hour and a half including driving time. My last truck I bought through GL and it took a while to get the title before I could get it registered.

twisted60

Yesterday ordered more parts, I want to have a few spares on hand when I pick my new baby up next month, can't wait. Bought her from an SS member in TX, after changing fluids / filters and giving her a good look over I'm planning to drive her home to FL. Planned 3 days to work on her before the drive, 3 days to get home and 3 days buffer before I have to head back to work. Hope all goes well with the trip, really looking forward to it.

gottaluvit

Yesterday ordered more parts, I want to have a few spares on hand when I pick my new baby up next month, can't wait. Bought her from an SS member in TX, after changing fluids / filters and giving her a good look over I'm planning to drive her home to FL. Planned 3 days to work on her before the drive, 3 days to get home and 3 days buffer before I have to head back to work. Hope all goes well with the trip, really looking forward to it.
Congrats, be safe/careful, and have fun!

JohnnyBM931A2

I purchased the truck from another member here who already had the title. Once I had the title it was not too hard. Even though it isn't necessary I was at a truck stop with a scale and went ahead and got a weight on the truck. Last one I registered the tax office wanted an official weight so I figured with this one since I was there might as well get it weighed. Called and set up insurance from the parking lot of the truck stop then went to the tax office and finished up my paperwork. Start to finish only took about an hour and a half including driving time. My last truck I bought through GL and it took a while to get the title before I could get it registered.
Yeah that's what I did.. Bought mine from a private seller so it already had an Illinois title. No forms or BS for me :)

JohnnyBM931A2

Finally received my H4 ceramic pigtails :naner:Went to NAPA to get the appropriate connectors and shrink tubing, then I went ahead and installed one of them (passenger side.) Even during the day, I could tell there was a significant difference. I'm guessing maybe 25-30% brighter? I left the drivers side in for now.. Just waiting for it to get dark out so I can go take a picture. It will be cool to see the increased brightness vs the stock light... I'm so excited :jumpin:

Very pleased with this mod so far.. VERY easy to do, and you can barely tell the difference between the stock glass vs the Hella. I wanted better light output with a stock look, and that's exactly what I achieved (not to mention cheaper/easier to find bulbs.)

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

I also bought some more goodies for my toolbox on an excursion to Harbor Freight (had to go there to buy a cheap heat gun for the shrink tubing.) Picked up a small axe, deadblow hammer, mechanics wire, stainless steel zip ties, plastic zip ties, a cheap utility knife, a tire pressure gauge, mechanics gloves, and a magnesium fire starter thing. Also went to Home Depot and picked up 2 4x4x8 treated posts, to be cut up into 2ft sections and be stored in the bottom of the toolbox.

Jeep Nasty

Flying solo with the kids while my better half went to visit her cousin. I still got some stuff done during their naps and outside play time and the house got cleaned.

M925A1 swapped out a tire that was leaking air and put a for sale sign on her in front of my buddy's business with good visibility.

Bobbed Crew cab m923A2 notched out the frame crossmember with a plasma cutter where the driveline was hitting after the bob job, removed air intake pipe junction to do some work.

M54A1 put two new batteries in it so a prospective buyer can take it for a test drive Sunday morning.

Cut the ends of a large propane tank to make a "Cowboy Cauldron

Watched a movie with my three little ones, went to harbor freight to buy a few small things, got the kids fed and cleaned and I just put them to bed.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Good work weather

Finally got around to installing the new windshield gaskets. Install was easy and fit was great. Should keep most of the wind/rain/snow out of the cab now. Installed the wire for the block heater. Treated the top with 303 protectant, will see how it works. Took her for a drive with the wife with perfect weather and ended up by the Cape Cod Canal. Great fall drive:driver:

Attachments

JohnnyBM931A2

Also picked a case (6 1 gallon bottles) of NAPA brand coolant designed for heavy duty vehicles. Low silicate with sca as was recommended. It's the undiluted stuff, so I will need to pick up some distilled water to mix it. I was very happy that they had it in stock, and in enough quantity to meet my needs :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks