• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might ask your Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) if there are parallel ordinances allowing "Special Interest Vehicles" in residential areas. Here in San Angelo, the Code of Ordinances on the surface appear to prohibit LARGE MV's. HOWEVER, with the TxFMV registration, they become "Special Interest Vehicles" which are SPECIFICALLY ALLOWED by Ordinance to be parked/operated in residential areas. This has also been used to exempt racecars, motorhomes, a couple of smaller scale trailer sized carnival rides (privately owned), ALL non-commercial horse trailers whether they are bumper-pull, fifth-wheel or semi-trailer type in spite of the standing ordinance prohibitting Semi's! Your municipality's Ordinances may vary. Keep your CEO on your side and he may be an invaluable asset.
Just looked this up and it does exempt special interest vehicles in my city if they are out of sight.

Thank you very much for noting Special Interest Vehicles. I would have never found this code exception without your help. I previously could only find the RV exemption.

gottaluvit

The is crazy....Guy down the street is in the national guard...Parked his HMVV out in front of his house for the night ...Going to training in the morning...City towed the HMVV for parking in the street...That was special...
Was this military owned or privately owned? If military owned than that city is a POS! I would move asap to assure no tax money goes into that municipality out of my wallet! How unAmerican!

Another Ahab

Just looked this up and it does exempt special interest vehicles in my city if they are out of sight.

Thank you very much for noting Special Interest Vehicles. I would have never found this code exception without your help. I previously could only find the RV exemption.
And a good tarp will cover that (badda-bing) for you.

Gemplers has them

Spyderman

Took her to the Machine Gun Shoot this weekend.

20151007_145923.jpg20151007_145900.jpg
My son helping my get her ready for the drive.

20151010_111953.jpg
I slept in the back of the truck. Sure beats laying on the ground.

20151011_152659.jpg
My son was a little tired from the 4 day trip. He slept good on the ride home.

gottaluvit

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Troopers, And today I inspected a 5 ton tractor for sale, but its got a multi-fuel engine, # LDS4651A. The only numbers I could make out on the nameplate wa the date: 1966. And in the cab there were two handles, like the duece has for the transfer case, but then a second one .(?). Can you recognioze what trucck this is?

Attachments

mdemars03

Hello Troopers, And today I inspected a 5 ton tractor for sale, but its got a multi-fuel engine, # LDS4651A. The only numbers I could make out on the nameplate wa the date: 1966. And in the cab there were two handles, like the duece has for the transfer case, but then a second one .(?). Can you recognioze what trucck this is?
Looks a lot like the M52A2 I have. Mine is a 5 ton tractor with the LDS-465-1A motor in it also. It should have a spot to mount the air cleaner on the passenger side fender. As far as the levers though I'm not 100% sure. Mine only has two. One for the transfer case and one for the parking break. The transfer case lever is between the seats and the parking break lever is the one between the driver's seat and the door. Now that one has been modified as mine which is still stock does not have full air brakes.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you mdemar03, And i suspect this fellow has been sitting in the scrap yard for a long time, as the cab is rusted through..alsso the inlet components to the turbo are absent, sso all that moisture has access to the engine. I shall pass thos one up...WHATADEUCE

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a multi it's an M52A2, it looks to have been a W/W truck hints the bumper extensions and extra lever in the cab. Since it has an IFTA sticker on the door it has been "bubba-gumped" to meet some regulations or some sort some where some how. The obvious one is the air brakes but who knows what else has been done to it. She's also missing a fuel tank on the passenger side.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Said **** it and replaced the POS 24V to 12V converter on the camera system with a way too large transformer.

Turns out the system draws 0.45A, new transformer rated for 10A. So shouldn't blow this one out.

I've decided Pyle is the Harbor Freight of cameras.

General Hood

I have to share a little humor. Cranked up the M923A2 as I do periodically to let it run for a while, and a stray dog wondered over to wet the front tire just when big green built up nominal PSI air pressure and let out a nice little Honk. Stray dog last seen hauling a_ _ down the road wetting itself. I petted the truck saying "that's a good boy" :-D

Artisan

I have to share a little humor. Cranked up the M923A2 as I do periodically to let it run for a while, and a stray dog wondered over to wet the front tire just when big green built up nominal PSI air pressure and let out a nice little Honk. Stray dog last seen hauling a_ _ down the road wetting itself. I petted the truck saying "that's a good boy" :-D
So I guess you could say the truck pizzed the dog off?

mdemars03

Thank you mdemar03, And i suspect this fellow has been sitting in the scrap yard for a long time, as the cab is rusted through..alsso the inlet components to the turbo are absent, sso all that moisture has access to the engine. I shall pass thos one up...WHATADEUCE
You're welcome. Yeah most of those if you can find them from what I have seen aren't in the best shape. Mine was in kind od rough shape when I got it. Took some time but she is definitly in much better shape then the one you found. They are nice trucks if it is something you are looking for.

mdemars03

For those who saw the issue I had earlier this week over me getting a code violation notice over my 5 ton the issue is over. Long story short... I came out victorious in this instance. I provided code compliance with all the necessary documents and information and I am allowed to keep my 5 ton at my house. Being that it is registered as an antique is what saved me.

Here is a link to my thread which has the statutes I provided to code compliance and how I handled this. I see this as a victory.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145799-Code-violation-notice-for-parking-in-my-driveway

If anyone gets a violation notice over their trucks remember to be polite and respectful to the Code Compliance officer. They aren't trying to make our lives hard, they are just enforcing what is on the books, doing a job, and trying to make a living like the rest of us.

tucker79

For those who saw the issue I had earlier this week over me getting a code violation notice over my 5 ton the issue is over. Long story short... I came out victorious in this instance. I provided code compliance with all the necessary documents and information and I am allowed to keep my 5 ton at my house. Being that it is registered as an antique is what saved me.

Here is a link to my thread which has the statutes I provided to code compliance and how I handled this. I see this as a victory.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145799-Code-violation-notice-for-parking-in-my-driveway

If anyone gets a violation notice over their trucks remember to be polite and respectful to the Code Compliance officer. They aren't trying to make our lives hard, they are just enforcing what is on the books, doing a job, and trying to make a living like the rest of us.
I find they only show up when someone complains and calls them.:burn:Then they have no choice but to do there job. But I have met a few that really love their job.:rules:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks