• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

tbar123

:ditto:

If the clamps are on tight, I can't see how it could leak without some kind of problem.. Both hoses are rubber and have a cracked appearance on the outside. I'm thinking it has more to do with the old rubber failing.
Not to sure, But I believe it's due to the contraction of the metal. As the engine warms up the leak stops. I've driven plenty of trucks ( mostly IH,and Freightliner) that done this with temperature drop.Your problem cold be from a damaged hose, But from my experience I would try tightening the clamp before replacement.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bobbed 818 Tachograph went bad so changed out to a whole Deuce dash. Easy and just had to change out the oil pressure gage as it was not a mechanical one.

todds112

Came home from a short day at work to see what looked like radioactive monster blood on the driveway under my truck.. Coolant leak :(

It was dripping off of the rear of the oil pan.. I traced it back up to the topmost little hose that goes into the aftercooler. Very slow leak. At least it's something simple/easy. Guess I need to start searching for the part numbers for those 2 hoses. Does anyone know if there is a company out there that makes them out of silicone?

On a slightly more positive note, at least I know the coolant isn't too bad looking. Certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the "mud" that I have seen pictures of on the forum lately. Its still going to be replaced when I install my block heater.

Also went ahead and emptied my wallet last night.. I ordered the heated Truck Lite headlights.
My truck leaked from those hoses when I got it. Had 1 broken clamp and the others were loose. Kind of a pain being able to see them, more or less repaired by feel on those.

JohnnyBM931A2

Received and installed my new heated Truck Lite LED headlights :cool: Can't wait to see what they look like after it gets dark out :) Also painted my new muffler from Floridianson with high temp black grille paint. Went a bit overboard and did like 6 coats. Looks sweet. Also pulled off my top pipe to paint that, and noticed some rot around the mounting flange. Probably still fine to use once it's clamped in place, but.... I used it as an excuse to order a new one ;) My new gaskets and clamps should be here on Friday or Saturday, and the new top pipe will be here Monday. So weather permitting, I will get my new muffler and gaskets installed this weekend, then paint and install the top pipe Monday after work. When I pull the old muffler off, I'm also going to take a moment to give the muffler mount frame another coat of green paint. I will also hit the lower exhaust pipe and flex joint with the same high temp paint as the muffler and top pipe. I don't think I can get all of it when it's still mounted in place, but I can get everything that anyone will see. It will certainly be better than it is now.

This weekend my new silicone hoses for the aftercooler coolant pipes should arrive. That is my next big project after the muffler is done.. Draining the coolant, replacing those hoses, installing my block heater, then putting in fresh NAPA coolant.

And THEN, after that is finally done... My next NEXT big project will be chipping off the peeling paint under the cab, sanding it, priming it with the rust killing primer, then bedlining it. It's not like anyone is going to see it, so I could care less if the bottom of the cab is black instead of green. I might eventually do the firewall behind the engine, but that looks ok for now. My cab is currently rust free, with the exception of some very minor surface rust around the edges of the floor. I want to keep it that way. A difficult task, given the amount of snow and salt that we deal with around here during the Winter, but I will do my best.

JohnnyBM931A2

How much did you have to give for them?
Well.. They weren't cheap. $325 each with free shipping, so $650 for the pair. By comparison, the unheated headlights are $330ish for the pair.

Just went out and switched them on in the dark.. One word to describe these lights: AWESOME. Excellent clarity and brightness. The Hella H4 upgrade was good, but the Truck Lites are fantastic. I wish I would have just spent the money in the first place to buy these. I am very happy :jumpin: :naner:

Goobs

I changed my right rear tire this weekend by myself. It was interesting since the boom wouldn't extend but I was able to get the tire down and changed with a dance of jacks to get the tire and wheel off the hub past the CTIS and then line up the new wheel to hook the CTIS back up.

Now to find a new Michelin XZL 14.00r 20 tire to match the rest

JohnnyBM931A2

I changed my right rear tire this weekend by myself. It was interesting since the boom wouldn't extend but I was able to get the tire down and changed with a dance of jacks to get the tire and wheel off the hub past the CTIS and then line up the new wheel to hook the CTIS back up.

Now to find a new Michelin XZL 14.00r 20 tire to match the rest
:goodjob: So why did it need to be replaced? Just low tread, or was there a defect of some kind?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well.. They weren't cheap. $325 each with free shipping, so $650 for the pair. By comparison, the unheated headlights are $330ish for the pair.

Just went out and switched them on in the dark.. One word to describe these lights: AWESOME. Excellent clarity and brightness. The Hella H4 upgrade was good, but the Truck Lites are fantastic. I wish I would have just spent the money in the first place to buy these. I am very happy :jumpin: :naner:
You spend $650 on headlights and don't post pictures?

For shame...lol.

mdemars03

nopics

Lol

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I painted the the rear/rear service/spring brake chambers flat black to blend in better with their surroundings. I also added coil spring hose protector on all the rear hoses. In doing so I discovered a hairline cracked 45º street elbow on the left/rear spring brake port. No biggee...easy fix.

Before
DSC_0011.jpg

After...
DSC_0022.jpgDSC_0023.jpg

Back in May or June, I picked up a brand new pair each of the heavier-duty aluminum front turn signals and rear brake lights. They are much nicer than the plastic by far and include LED blackout markers and stop lights as delivered. I painted them 686 sand shortly after receiving them.
SDC12607.jpgSDC12606.jpg

My dilemma was that I had already put LED's on the front and rear some time ago, but I do like the look of the standard light lenses. Well, best of both worlds...I decided to use LED bulbs in the metal light buckets. These are the bulbs I am using...

Flasher/Brake Lamp bulbs: 1141 1156 1003 BA15S 27 SMD LED Bulb 10-30V 405 Lum 12V 24V Warm White (from an on-line auction site)
Brake-Flasher Lamps.jpg

Marker Lamp bulbs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSGBARW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Marker Lamps.jpg

Anyway, I finally installed the fronts this past Sunday.
DSC_0148.jpgDSC_0150.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks