• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

JohnnyBM931A2

Found out my wrecker makes a terrible land ship, I found a soft spot in my backyard thanks to all the rain. Got a local SSer to break in his virgin RRAD wrecker to get me out. These beasts are seriously under rated for what they do but we need to turn up the fuel on them still. Thanks Jim! BTW all photos were taken after we were half way out.
Good times....

Another Ahab

Found out my wrecker makes a terrible land ship, I found a soft spot in my backyard thanks to all the rain. Got a local SSer to break in his virgin RRAD wrecker to get me out. These beasts are seriously under rated for what they do but we need to turn up the fuel on them still. Thanks Jim! BTW all photos were taken after we were half way out.
Lordy, you got in DEEP, but lucky for the wrecker to the rescue. Happy endings are always good. :beer:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lordy, you got in DEEP, but lucky for the wrecker to the rescue. Happy endings are always good. :beer:
If the ground was dry enough she would have gotten her self out with the rear winch. I had two trucks roped up in a line and chalked as an anchor but still the wrecker pulled them to her plowing the ground lol. Texas black clay is no joke! rofl

JohnnyBM931A2

Today I installed the cord for my block heater, and zip-tied it in place to keep it from touching the exhaust, etc. I plugged it into the new exterior cord that I bought, but left it unplugged in the garage. I just went out now and plugged it into the outlet. I'm going to give it 2 or 3 hours, then turn on the gauges in the truck to verify that it is working.

I also went to Home Depot and picked up a bag of 1" weatherstrip foam, and a bag of 2". It is meant for sealing A/C units that you mount in a window. I used it to stuff into the passenger side window gaps. I never got around to loosening up all my hardtop bolts to adjust the gaps, or installing new factory rubber seals. So it will have to do for now. We are supposed to get our first snow tomorrow (3-7") and I don't want the wind to blow a bunch into the cab. If there is a mild day in the near future I will have to try to get the hardtop adjusted properly.

This weekend I upgraded all dash lights to 24V LED, changed fuel filter, leaned how to prime the **** out of it to get fuel to the engine, replaced front TS bulbs with new ones, new wiper blades, new dash light covers and painted green. Took lacquer thinner to all of the sprayed-over military ID #'s on front & rear, installed tiny fuel filter under hood. Installed new fuel sending unit, not before taking a die grinder to 2 of 5 screws, then filled it up since I now had a working fuel gauge.
All of this to take son and his friends to paintball birthday party, after picking them up from school in it.

Last edited:
This weekend I upgraded all dash lights to 24V LED, changed fuel filter, leaned how to prime the **** out of it to get fuel to the engine, replaced front TS bulbs with new ones, new wiper blades, new dash light covers and painted green. Took lacquer thinner to all of the sprayed-over military ID #'s on front & rear, installed tiny fuel filter under hood. Installed new fuel sending unit, not before taking a die grinder to 2 of 5 screws, then filled it up since I now had a working fuel gauge.
All of this to take son and his friends to paintball birthday party, after picking them up from school in it.
Dash light covers?

Oshkosh Equipment $12.95

Military Part Number: 146483
Military Description:
FILTER ELEMENT, FLUID

National Stock Number (NSN): 2910-00-790-8736, 2910007908736
Federal Supply Class (FSC): 2910 (Engine Fuel System Components, Non-Aircraft-10)
National Item Identification Number (NIIN): 007908736
Federal Stock Number (FSN): 2910-790-8736, 29107908736

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks