• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

sandcobra164

Haven't done it yet. I'm about the take my 11X20 goodyears off tomorrow and trade them for some nice 14R20's. I'll soon have an M923A1. I still have to move mudflaps and bed back and get a spare tire carrier but that's easy enough work.

74M35A2

Picked up my mrap springs from Fastenal and ordered my marine waterproof radio box. Tooooo many parts and no time to put em on! aua
Yep yep. I have bought so much junk to add to my 5T that it is taking up both my truck tool boxes, a job box, and 2 pallets worth up at my work. Everything from a dual channel EGT gauge and dual fuel fired heaters to a 5000W generator, A frame crane, and a cab roof mounted A/C unit. Have not touched any of it yet. Ugh.

I didn't know Fastenal sells MRAP springs. Wow. What else do they have?

infidel got me

fastenal

Yep yep. I have bought so much junk to add to my 5T that it is taking up both my truck tool boxes, a job box, and 2 pallets worth up at my work. Everything from a dual channel EGT gauge and dual fuel fired heaters to a 5000W generator, A frame crane, and a cab roof mounted A/C unit. Have not touched any of it yet. Ugh.

I didn't know Fastenal sells MRAP springs. Wow. What else do they have?
I'm sorry 74M, I had used Fastenal for transporting my springs from Utah. I wish they sold parts, maybe not-- I already need a bigger garage.:lol:

JohnnyBM931A2

Drove my truck to work again today.. Man that block heater is ineffective :( This morning it was between 25 and 30 degrees. I left it plugged in for 9 hours last night. Even so, the temp gauge didn't move at all until I was just pulling into the parking lot at work (2 or 3 miles from my house.) I really wish that 24v circulating pump that I bought didn't use so much amperage.. I think running that in conjunction with the block heater would be great. It would also probably be too costly every month :( And yeah, I really need to look into getting electric heaters for my cab. The stock coolant-fed heater is pretty much useless. I found the one(s) that I want.. Just need to save up some spare cash for them. Might also have to upgrade my alternator too, because each one of the 18,000btu electric heaters that I am looking at draws around 45A (at 24v.)

Last edited:

74M35A2

Drove my truck to work again today.. Man that block heater is ineffective :( This morning it was between 25 and 30 degrees. I left it plugged in for 9 hours last night. Even so, the temp gauge didn't move at all until I was just pulling into the parking lot at work (2 or 3 miles from my house.) I really wish that 24v circulating pump that I bought didn't use so much amperage.. I think running that in conjunction with the block heater would be great. It would also probably be too costly every month :( And yeah, I really need to look into getting electric heaters for my cab. The stock coolant-fed heater is pretty much useless. I found the one(s) that I want.. Just need to save up some spare cash for them. Might also have to upgrade my alternator too, because each one of the 18,000btu electric heaters that I am looking at draws around 45A (at 24v.)
I sell brand new 130A 24V alternators, just sayin'. :) I replaced my thermostat and heater core and now mine blows hot and relatively quickly from a cold start with no block heater usage. Your heater core could be plugged with minerals. Mine was. It flowed fine, but was not transferring the heat out. You could also swap it out for a fuel fired one. Those are hot at the flip of a switch. Saw new ones in our classifieds for $200 complete, that is a steal.

71DeuceAK

I also read a post recently about possibly sticking a window A/C unit in the bed of a Deuce with a hose going through the back of a cab, powered by a small generator or an inverter LOL. I might actually do just that, for driving in 105F temps (I'll have to do that LOL).

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I added the boxes to the front I realized that a step would be handy so I added a chain loop on each side. I figured they were flexible and couldn't be torn up. I didn't figure on them being so loud though. In slow turns they rattle so much that it sounds like the truck is falling apart, then the boxes resonate the noise and make it that much louder.

20151028_180944.jpg

So a redesign was in order...

I looked at something I could buy but just about everything available would require me to make some brackets due to how I wanted to mount them. If I got to make part of something I might as well make the whole thing.

These are silent and an unrealized benefit is that they actually act as a counterbalance for the box brackets. The stuff in the boxes doesn't even rattle any more. Win-win situation...then I ran out of paint.

20151217_112431.jpg

20151217_112447.jpg

JohnnyBM931A2

I sell brand new 130A 24V alternators, just sayin'. :) I replaced my thermostat and heater core and now mine blows hot and relatively quickly from a cold start with no block heater usage. Your heater core could be plugged with minerals. Mine was. It flowed fine, but was not transferring the heat out. You could also swap it out for a fuel fired one. Those are hot at the flip of a switch. Saw new ones in our classifieds for $200 complete, that is a steal.
Yeah... I will probably pick up an alternator from you one of these days. And I never did find those heater kits in the classifieds :shrugs:

Another Ahab

I also read a post recently about possibly sticking a window A/C unit in the bed of a Deuce with a hose going through the back of a cab, powered by a small generator or an inverter LOL. I might actually do just that, for driving in 105F temps (I'll have to do that LOL).
When does the temperature in Alaska get up to 105F!?

Another Ahab

These are silent and an unrealized benefit is that they actually act as a counterbalance for the box brackets. The stuff in the boxes doesn't even rattle any more. Win-win situation...then I ran out of paint.

View attachment 599676
And they look good on your rig; like they belong there. Nice find.

Are they pretty stiff, or do they swing when you put your weight on them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks