• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Spyderman

I got the new super rope I ordered. I put it on today. It looks so much better than the white rope I had on there. I will take a couple pixies when it gets light out.

Also took my 2 year old son down to the train tracks this week to watch the trains. He loves trains. Sat next to the tracks in the back of the truck for over an hour. Not a single train came by. Try again soon.

tobyS

Also took my 2 year old son down to the train tracks this week to watch the trains. He loves trains. Sat next to the tracks in the back of the truck for over an hour. Not a single train came by. Try again soon.
I grew up near a winding RR track and we played on a bridge over a creek. We would get up under the bridge when a train came to "feel" the massiveness and power of them starting to accelerate, leaving the valley. We (the neighborhood kids) had an infatuation with the put-puts that came along about every other day. At about 10 yrs old we would grab on and ride a few miles (until jumping off got scary). About 13 I got a minibike and rode across the Wabash River on the open trestle bridge and the roaring river below. I thank God my children never did what I did growing up near that RR...I would not handle it well.

Spyderman

I grew up near a winding RR track and we played on a bridge over a creek. We would get up under the bridge when a train came to "feel" the massiveness and power of them starting to accelerate, leaving the valley. We (the neighborhood kids) had an infatuation with the put-puts that came along about every other day. At about 10 yrs old we would grab on and ride a few miles (until jumping off got scary). About 13 I got a minibike and rode across the Wabash River on the open trestle bridge and the roaring river below. I thank God my children never did what I did growing up near that RR...I would not handle it well.
Across the river from us we can see the tracks. My son runs to the window every time he hears the train. It's almost a mile away. Guns and trains is what he loves.

gottaluvit

Eh, never a challenge for these 6x6s. I remember while stationed in Germany, the truck I was issued never spun a tire in snow or mud. One time I was all excited as we were out training in some sloppy mud and I thought, "Now I can make some rooster tails". Well, that sure didn't happen. The beast just shot like on a 1/4 mile dragstrip with slicks. Have yet to see some tails from these traction grabbing beasts.
Well now, I must say that no longer stands to be the case as I nearly got stuck twice yesterday, pulling my CUCV out. It wiggled it's way out, but barely. Now I know where the wet springs are in my field.

20160226_130138.jpg

Over the past few weekends, I upgraded my headlight system to 4 54W LED lightbars. I made these plug & play, using factory packard connectors and existing bolt holes. Bottom spot lights are low beams, click the floor switch and the upper flood beams come on along with the lowers with the use of a 50V diode from Radio Shack.
I sandblasted and repainted the front end and as of today, I'm nearly finished installing my train horns, all using factory packard connectors. Hornblasters Shocker 24V kit.
It's time to wake the dead!!

20160226_061722.jpg20160219_164824.jpg20160207_102517.jpg20160207_095343.jpg20160206_220117.jpg20160206_144938.jpg20160204_202600.jpg20160224_163437-1.jpg20160214_190301.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found these just in time to use them while digging down to my inner axle seal.
New 24V impact wrench powered by slave cable - $15
New military 4x torque multiplier - $15
Being able to loosen lug nuts with one hand and zip them off in seconds for $30....Priceless! :mrgreen:

2016-02-27 08.44.49.jpg

2016-02-27 08.43.41.jpg

On to the seal replacement...

20160225_182550.jpg

20160225_185012.jpg

20160225_185225.jpg

In this picture you can see where someone before me had gone in with some pointy object to get at the retainer. They did a number on the spindle lock nut too. Had to clean it up to get the proper socket on it.

20160225_213724.jpg

2016-02-27 09.02.37.jpg

Long pause here with no pictures because I was ready to chunk everything in sight due to problems putting in the new seal. This was mainly due to my new seal installer being a little on the short side and it eventually breaking in the end. At this point it was: Truck -1 / Swamp Donkey - 0.

Fabbed and welded up a seal press using a cross bar and push bolt that braces against the inner bolt circle of the knuckle. It was about 4:00am at this point, so a longer seal installer was not happening. The press worked perfect with no more drama. Will be using this in the future since it worked so well. It keeps everything square and sets it in a controlled manner.

The finished product. That's right...I just posted a boring picture of a wheel and tire.

20160226_103937.jpg

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Bumped the fuel on mine slightly with the screw in throttle shaft and put about 40 gallons of filtered waste ATF. Truck seems to like the changes so far. Now it feels like it wants another gear when cruising at 55 mph and doesn't slow at all in the hills. Now to add a new either solenoid as these Cummins 250's don't like 30 degree starts.

i'm sorry for missing the message here, but:

- You're stripping out all your phillips heads, is that what you're saying?
I forgot to quote your post. In drilling out my bearing, I'm not sure if I've gotten all the way thru yet. I've never felt the bit break-thru the steel bearing. I had a buddy tell me his flat head screw is about half an inch inset, so I guess I have more drilling.

gottaluvit

I forgot to quote your post. In drilling out my bearing, I'm not sure if I've gotten all the way thru yet. I've never felt the bit break-thru the steel bearing. I had a buddy tell me his flat head screw is about half an inch inset, so I guess I have more drilling.
Man, I'm really missing the message. What bearing are you drilling that has screw heads on top?

sandcobra164

Man, I'm really missing the message. What bearing are you drilling that has screw heads on top?
He's trying to drill out the "tamper proof plug" on the side of his PT injection pump throttle shaft. Behind that plug is one of the fuel adjustments available to NHC 250 power truck owners. The other things that I'd read help include using different "buttons" and a dual fuel line mod.

The guy above me got it correct. There is a steel bearing pressed into the shaft to keep young bucks from tampering with the HP. After you drill it out, your fuel adjustment screw is behind it. If you adjusted yours and there was no bearing to drill out, someone has already removed it & adjusted it. You definitely remember doing this, as it was a PITA, broke like 3 bits too.
But I just got it out and backed it out 3/4 of a full turn. Fuel button is next on the list. I've read 17 is a good #?

Ford Mechanic

That's nice looking work. [thumbzup]

Did you put down filter fabric before loading up the stone, or are you going straight over the subgrade?
Thanks! No fabric liner, straight on the ground, grass and all. I'm sure in 6 months we'll have to roll the mats back and back fill some holes due to settling. But with the mats and the top on it it shouldn't settle much. We're tamping it also to help.

Another Ahab

Thanks! No fabric liner, straight on the ground, grass and all. I'm sure in 6 months we'll have to roll the mats back and back fill some holes due to settling. But with the mats and the top on it it shouldn't settle much. We're tamping it also to help.
Just a minor drift:

You're right I'm thinking, since you went with screenings and not just stone alone. The bluestone dust will float it all above the grade I bet. Nice work!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks