• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Amer-team

Pulled a 923A2 out of the weeds. It had been sitting for most of the last two years. Batteries dead, several really low tires, no exhaust stack so a couple of gallons of water there. Also a couple or pretty good size hornets nest in the cab. Poured some fuel in the tank and managed to get it slaved off the 923. Once it started to warm up, it sounded pretty good. Batteries are 2010 and flatter than pancakes. Tried getting a charger going, but the house is in the woods and the breaker to that outlet kept tripping. CTIS was disconnected so that is probably an issue as well. Many items need some attention. Haven't looked in the TM yet, but a large copper wire that went to the bottom of the alternator was broken off, managed to cobble it with a hose clamp, until a proper fix can take place. Many issues, but I think it has potential. It was fun and sort of a National Geographic day.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a Grover 2040 Stuttertone

2016-03-19 14.26.31.jpg

20160315_163228.jpg

20160319_123242.jpg

I've currently got it supplied from the factory solenoid. After I gather a few more things it'll have a dedicated supply directly from the air tank with a larger line.

Ford Mechanic

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will that make it louder? I put one like it on mine and have it run the same. I thought it would be louder than it was.
The fitting at the inlet to the horn is 1/8" NPT so you are limited on what you can do there. This is the main fitting you want to look at carefully as everything back can go to a larger size. If you use a cheap fitting here they can be restrictive by design. Make sure to use a high flow fitting. Compare a stainless fitting to a brass one and you'll see what I mean. Everything back to the tank can be a larger size to keep down the restictions.

Using the stock system is very restrictive. Trace the line back across the firewall and look at all the various in line fittings and joints in it.

Also remember that you get a lot more horn feedback into the cab from the factory horn since it is mounted under the hood. With the bell outside the hood, all the sound goes out. I thought mine was on the quiet side until I stood in front of the truck while my buddy pushed the button. I was defiantly wrong.

If you haven't removed the elbow from the top of the solenoid for the input line you probably should. There is a little screen in there. When I pulled mine it didn't have any debris but was partially clogged by an ungodly amount of sealer for that little fitting. I'll do away with the screen completely when I install an in line filter.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will mention that I am impressed that the little sheet metal or whatever it is that the mudflaps attach to. Actually held the weight of the box when it was but on the ground and didn't accordion like I thought they would.

AMGeneral

I purchased and installed 4 new group 31 stud post batteries for the dump and wrecker,plus finished adding the JD cornhead grease to the winches.

I also had to change a fuel tank on the dump truck(pinhole leak I found after I filled up the tank!) ,plus swapped a level wind assembly on the dump as well.

Winch cable should be here next week for all 3 trucks.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

934 box removal. 9400lbs.
Wow.

Didn't expect it to be that heavy.

I plan on removing the slide out portions of my M934 (floor and ceiling, basically) and permanently keeping it closed... I was expecting some weight savings but... that's substantial.... I might be able to drop 2klbs+ if the entire assembly is near 5 tons...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wow.

Didn't expect it to be that heavy.

I plan on removing the slide out portions of my M934 (floor and ceiling, basically) and permanently keeping it closed... I was expecting some weight savings but... that's substantial.... I might be able to drop 2klbs+ if the entire assembly is near 5 tons...
The box sticker says 9304. But that is empty i think. If u have a 934 u know how slow it is. That thing nearly jumped off the ground when i pulled out from under it.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swampdonkey Where did you get the 4x multiplier?
I found it in a surplus crate. It is the same one found in the Robo-Impact kits. It is my favorite tool for my truck to date.

I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench that has a push through anvil, so that it can torque both ways. It's only good for 250 ft-lbs though. I have a larger torque wrench but it only works one way. With the torque multiplier I can properly torque the lugnuts on both sides of the truck now using the 1/2" torque wrench.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the Tachometer. The hour meter had stopped working at 13.3 hours. I've been replacing the gauges with new ones as I come across them and this was the last one I needed.

I replaced all the belts, except the dreaded water pump belt. That one looks almost new where the others were cracked. I do have the crush gasket, pump plate gasket and belt on hand though for another day in the near future.

I also aligned the front tires, greased everything up front and applied some warning decals to the winch plate.

20160320_040243.jpg

Props to Juanprado for the water pump gaskets and Wsucougarx for the decals.

I had a question though...

I picked up this NOS gauge panel to rob the gauges, switches and bulb sockets from. I'm curious what it came out of? The color makes me think it came from a tank maybe? If it helps, everything except the lower row of sockets is the same as what's in the M939 trucks to include being 24v. Any ideas?

2016-03-20 04.00.25.jpg

20160318_181211.jpg

20160318_181231.jpg

20160320_035905.jpg

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey Swamp Donkey, lots of nice work there. With that panel having a bilge pump switch and lights it must be from something amphibious, possibly a tank. No drainage on those beasts!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a question though...

I picked up this NOS gauge panel to rob the gauges, switches and bulb sockets from. I'm curious what it came out of? The color makes me think it came from a tank maybe? If it helps, everything except the lower row of sockets is the same as what's in the M939 trucks to include being 24v. Any ideas?
Looks to me like a panel for a M113 APC or M113 based variant such as a M577, M1068, M981, M901 etc.

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Finished up getting both the 923 & 925 thru the state safety inspections and went online and paid the registration fees/taxes for the coming season so both of my trucks are ready to roll again. Bring on the car/truck shows & military events!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks