• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

ghitch75

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cleaned all the battery terminals as when i started it this morning it turned over slow......got out the volt meter and showed i was only get 24v to 2 batteries.....Now all is good!!!

Amer-team

Put in two new batteries in the M923A2 yesterday and did some general cleanup. Have been scraping the floor boards. The rubberized paint that they used seems to be a water magnet and holds it in, add the floor mat, and it has caused some severe rust problems. Some good clean up and POR 15 ought to take care of a majority of the issues.

Is there a big difference in starting power if one go's from using two good batteries to four good batteries? I'm using two right now, but the trucks have always seemed to turn over slow.

azteclizard

I changed the alternator belts. Not too difficult. But while i was in that area i found what looks like 3/16 or 1/4 copper line with a fitting on the end of it running along the bottom of the access panel that just hangs there.its not hooked upto anything, but it has anchors along that side panel so i suppose its gotta go to something. I guess i gotta figure out where it comes from... ugh.. its always something..

gottaluvit

Is there a big difference in starting power if one go's from using two good batteries to four good batteries? I'm using two right now, but the trucks have always seemed to turn over slow.
Yes, in my opinion. Mine cranked descent at warm temperatures last year with two, but once it got in the 20°F range the engine turned slower. Put four batteries in and it zipped in the single digit temperatures. One of the two that I was using needed a deep charge of several days, contributing to the issue, but with four it cranks noticably faster than it ever did with just two, at any temperature. This taught me there was a good reason our tax dollars put four batteries in these trucks.

Amer-team

There are several threads on the pros and cons of the 2 vs 4 battery issue. I went from 4 bad batteries to two good ones and it starts just fine. I did this 3 years ago in the 923 with no apparent issues. I am not running accessories or radios. It that is the plan, maybe 4 is best.

I should try putting two more in this year. Lots to do though, stretching out and air braking the m817, bobbing another 5-ton with a 2-stroke conversion, building a dump trailer with spare 5-ton parts, building a fith wheel dolly. That took long enough just to type it, I better get started.:driver:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, in my opinion. Mine cranked descent at warm temperatures last year with two, but once it got in the 20°F range the engine turned slower. Put four batteries in and it zipped in the single digit temperatures. One of the two that I was using needed a deep charge of several days, contributing to the issue, but with four it cranks noticably faster than it ever did with just two, at any temperature. This taught me there was a good reason our tax dollars put four batteries in these trucks.
Do the math:

1 12V Battery + 1 12V Battery in series = 1 24V Battery BANK with "X" Cranking Amps (POWER)
Vs.
2 12V Batteries + 2 12V Batteries (in pairs) in series = Double the original 24V Battery BANK now netting "2X" Cranking Amps (DOUBLE the POWER)

Four Batteries WILL crank your engine with DOUBLE the AMPERAGE (aka: Amps) which equates in laymans terms to DOUBLE THE CRANKING POWER.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks