• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Installed a NOS bridge plate, thanks to the Evil Dr. Porkchop. Modified it just a little to prevent or slow down at least honest thieves from taking the numbers. I figured if I could prevent the top "C" locking plate from moving up you can't take the numbers. Made a small bracket and put a small self tapping screw to hold it from behind. Don't know if it will work but you have to remove the screw from the back so it makes it a little more difficult. Also installed a 27" 132 watt LED fog/spot light. Not hooked up yet but tests were pretty good.:driver:

Another Ahab

We took the M54A1C to watch the N&W J611 come through Morganton this morning at 1100 on it's way to Asheville,our very own Ferroequineoligist was on board,he is visible at the 33 second mark in the first car behind the 2 diesel locomotives.
The engines AND the cars making up that train are remarkable, including that Presidential Pullman.

When are we finally getting our RR forum, and what's the story behind that train!?

Gunzy

View attachment 617066View attachment 617065View attachment 617067View attachment 617068View attachment 617069
Installed a NOS bridge plate, thanks to the Evil Dr. Porkchop. Modified it just a little to prevent or slow down at least honest thieves from taking the numbers. I figured if I could prevent the top "C" locking plate from moving up you can't take the numbers. Made a small bracket and put a small self tapping screw to hold it from behind. Don't know if it will work but you have to remove the screw from the back so it makes it a little more difficult. Also installed a 27" 132 watt LED fog/spot light. Not hooked up yet but tests were pretty good.:driver:
Now you need to change it to the correct number, which by the way is 69. LOL

Goobs

Drove from Texas to Indy and on the way back stopped by St Louis Mo to pick up a new sticker Michelin 1400/20 xzl tire to complete my set of 7. This thing still has the nipples on the treads......for only $425.00. Im a happy camper.

Was kinda funny looking bringing a 48" tire on the roof of a 4x8 utility trailer. I got some strange looks. At a gas station, someone asked me why I had that big of a tire and I told them it was a spare for my utility trailer. They just gave me that deer in headlights look.

Goobs

bchauvette

Power on warning device

I continually forget to shutoff the master power switch totally discharging the batteries. One of my 6tl's completely shorted. So I installed 2 4D's and fabricated a Power on warning device. As the solonoid is double pole double throw I'm going to add Lights on warning to the circuit. The wiring in these trucks are mostly 14g. I'm assuming the protection is rated for 14ga. The warning circuit is 18ga So I added protection for 18ga. Actually 3 amp is way conservative half of the rating.

warning buzzer schematic.jpgIMG_2374.jpg

Just noticed a mistake. The 2 wires at the bottom of the pics going into the "Y" connectors are "Gender Benders" female both ends. they are 18ga they should be 14ga .

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last weekend was a bit busy...

Replaced both rubber fuel lines and changed the filter.

20160409_191932.jpg

New fuel shut off solenoid.

20160409_191950.jpg

New front brake chamber service lines.

20160409_192024.jpg

New powersteering return line.

20160409_192005.jpg

New tailgate lock handles and T-bolts.

20160411_210805.jpg

20160411_210758.jpg

Replaced the hood trunnion bolt and bushing. This was a simple enough task made overly difficult by the location of my winch mount.

20160415_031030.jpg

Replaced the fender to fender rubber strips and hood supports on the firewall. Replacing these, along with rebuilding the hood trunnion, stopped the hood from rubbing the cab.

Replaced the speedometer cable that had rubbed on the driveshaft when a zip-tie broke.

Loosened and retorqued all the wheel bearings and spring trunnion bearings. This started off as "just an inspection" and turned into "well, while I'm in there".

Replaced the passenger side knuckle boot to top the evening off.

The new windshield assembly was supposed to go in tonight but the weather didn't cooperate.

20160415_032816.jpg

Last edited:

Beast52

I am buying a 1952 5 ton 6X6, it has the gas inline six and manual transmission. Does anyone know where i can get a multi fuel, or diesel conversion for it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks