• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the inner axle seal and retainer on the right front. I've replaced the seal a couple times already, and still had a leak, so I figured it might be a retainer issue instead. Time will tell.

I made a seal installer to put the seals in. Setting them without damaging them, with the knuckle still in place, can be a challenge. I used the bridge from a massive jaw puller, that was missing pieces, to wedge inside the knuckle. It fit and worked perfectly. The large pushbolt is threaded all the way back and a custom made seal installer is inserted into the hole. The pushbolt pushes the installer while the bridge is squarely wedged in the knuckle housing.

The retainer installation required some modification to the seal installer part. It was a little light duty and I brought out the welder to beef it up a bit. I put it in place and turned the screw until the retainer was properly seated. It pressed it in nice and square and with minimal effort. The little time I spend putting this together was well worth it.

20160620_020316.jpg

20160620_020349.jpg

20160620_022535.jpg

big block 88

Looking good. I would definitely look into getting the ABS system back up and running. It was added for a very good reason.
i have started looking into it but i see only the mid axle even has a sensor on it. My opinion is that the abs is there for a pfc who is from the city with little to no experience behind the wheel of a big truck. I went out and did a panic stop to see if abs worked at all. It doesnt... She locked up and stalled. Steering remained fairly easy and loss of control would only happen if you were being stupid. We will most likely get it working again but its not real high on my list right now.

For the folks that buy and drive these big girls its all about technique. You dont EVER tailgate and plan way ahead at all times and just because they will do 65+ doesnt mean you should.

Piper Cub

I changed the engine oil and filter and converted the transmission from 15w40 to DexIII. Old engine filter was Fram CH211A new is Napa 1954. Old trans filter was Fram PH3519A new is Napa 1268. I reused the gasket on the engine since Napa was going to have a long wait on it. I did not change the internal trans filter and the oil isn't perfectly red after driving it about 50 miles but it's still pretty clean. Also put some garage door lube on the ends of my shift cable. On my test drive it feels much better than it did before on shifts. Rather than downshifts feeling like launching a car sized anchor now it only feels like a refrigerator size anchor:naner:. I noticed my new horn button isn't working so I'll be taking that apart in the next few days. The wire in the column probably just came loose. Next up will probably be doing my floor mat and new insulation on the hardtop, then troop seat boards. One step at a time this truck is slowly becoming new again. :driver:

EO2NMCB

Found out that a blowing a hydro hose will shoot way farther on a m816 than on a backhoe.:mad: However after fixing all the air leaks, it was the first time I got to see the crane move!

Spyderman

Looks good. I have been thinking about that same step for the passenger side of my truck. The wife is a little short. Also the backup camera too. I want the one with dual cameras so I can put one in the front also.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Serviced/ drained and filled with new fluid all three axles and hubs. Started in on the cab ripping out the padding and taking care of the small rust that was there. Used the Ospho rust converter on the rust for now and will get out the power wire brush and see how much of the undercoating they sprayed in the cab will come out. Wish they would have prepped the cab better before they sprayed the cab but we will see how well the power wire wheel does. Hope to get the cab ready for the spray in bed liner. M1088 got to love it.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Come Saturday, changed the engine oil, and added molyslip, greased all round, checked axles gear box and transfer case, and added molyslip. Checked the belts. tire pressures and spare. This IS major work for me..HA! but the lad 'kicks in' (bennym45) and completes the tasks with supervision. (and so) the hobby ..goes on..ready for the shows coming up this season. All the vehicles have to be done..we are working through one by one. separate post for the deuc (es)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks