• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Ford Mechanic

I replaced the batteries, made a quick hold down bracket for them. These are group 31's from Napa. Lots more room in there now!

I replaced the boards on one side of my troop seats. That side was not in sitting shape for the 4th and I didn't have the $ left after the batteries to do the other side

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
'Quick' oil change.... What was I thinking?

I forgot how fast 27 qts comes flying out at you.... and ended up covered in about 2 gallons......Had to stumble to the shower blindly.... grabbing dawn as I went.... fun times....

Then I didn't seat the O-ring properly, so that leaked....so had to clean up that mess and top it off again....

Spin on oil filter mod was planned but NAPA didn't get the filter housings in on time so.....

and I was gonna tackle the axles but.... Come to find out I misread the LO, and was thinking the differential oil was supposed to be replaced every 3k....and it was.. 3k ago... but I figured I had to do it again.. wwelllllll.... There's $100 in gear oil I have laying around now... heh

Last edited:

tobyS

'Quick' oil change.... What was I thinking?

I forgot how fast 27 qts comes flying out at you.... and ended up covered in about 2 gallons......Had to stumble to the shower blindly.... grabbing dawn as I went.... fun times....
I'm putting an outdoor shower in for times like this...or washing the dog.

tucker79

Servicing my M818 and want to replace the O rings/seals on air shift piston for the transfercase to ensure the sprag engages as is should. I have opened up 3 of these and seen O rings on 2 and badly worn out flat seals with a lip that I believe to be the original & correct part. I have been searching n searching but cant find a rebuild kit for the air shift cylinder for a 5 TON only 2.5
So I have a quick question without starting a new thread. Is the air shift cylinder the same on 2.5s and 5 tons and if not what is the correct seal to be used on the piston itself Oring or ???
Or are Orings a suitable replacement?
Happy Independants day6x6 muddn 3.jpg

therooster2001

With a lot of talk lately on axles, I thought I'd take a look, and since I hadn't serviced them since I bought the truck, it was time, well past time. First fill plug, I got a little air (on second thought it might have been a little vacuum, so letting air in, not out) then oil poured out, which I wasn't ready for, expecting it to be right or low. I let about 1.5 qts come out, then decided that I wanted it the correct level, so carefully cracked the drain, and darker oil came out, ok, let's do the job right. Drained two, then realized it was almost 5:00 (Napa closing), so called and secured 2 buckets of their brand GL-5, $65 a 5 gallon pail. Filled the two back up, not before my bucket pump blew off one of the hoses and I squirted gear oil all over the shop! The last axle plug was too stripped for this to be an easy crack and fill, so decided to pass on that one, clean up, and get a new one ordered so I can do it right, once I can get it off. $15 for a new one. The fill hole did also reveal that it was overfilled to. 2 out of 3 too full.

2nd edit, realized that CM/R in the LO for the gear oil means only when maintenance or fouling occurs. Well, guess the truck is getting extra special care...and now I know the condition and age.. I wonder how old it really was?

Last edited:

mdemars03

Trying to get ready to take the truck to a 4th of July fireworks show tomorrow so I needed to fix a few things. I had an issue with my emergency flashers, an air leak and not building correct air pressure, and my air horn not working. So having some time today and my wife doing better after her surgery I decided to work on the truck.

First I worked on the issue of the emergency flashers not working. I do a good walk around of my truck before driving it and last time when I checked the lights I couldn't get the emergency flashers to work. The regular turn signals would work but the 4 way emergency flashers didn't. I pulled the signal switch and cleaned the contacts inside. I also noticed when taking things apart that the connector that plugs in to the signal switch was about a turn and a half loose. Between tightening the connector and cleaning the contacts all my flashers work correctly now.

Next project was the air leak and not building correct air pressure which I assumed was caused by the same thing. I started the truck and built air pressure as best as I could (got to about 90 psi). Then I shut down the truck and listened for where the leak was coming from. I found one air line was loose and one was cracked. I added Teflon tape and tightened down on the one that was loose and took care of that issue. I was able to get the cracked line off and go to a big rig repair shop and had a line made. Being Sunday my options on where to go to get a line made were limited but it worked. After replacing the line my air pressure builds and holds correctly now.

Lastly I replaced the solenoid for my air horn and got that working. When pressing the horn button I didn't hear the solenoid thunk. I took a meter to the wires and everything was good so that left me with a bad solenoid. Thanks to another member here I got a good solenoid and now have a working air horn.

Lastly to get ready for tomorrow I checked all my fluids and tire pressure, made sure everything in the bed is secure, and made sure the cargo cover was secure.

I try to make sure everything is in good order prior to driving anywhere, even just around the neighborhood.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
changed floor mounted dimmer switch but to my surprise found 2 wires were not fully seated. Sad part is that it had been that way for quite some time as the rubber boots were painted tan while loose.... I now have a good used one if someone needs one.
Picked up from Eastern on ebay and it was priced right and shipping was right. I know that is not always the case....

After I finished and since I was bent all over the air filter housing while working on the dimmer, I decided to check it. Sadly it had been a few years since I checked it and it was black and nasty. I actually tried hosing it off as CsmDavis had recommended to me years ago but no go as it stayed black. Put in a spare I had salvaged off a scrapper. I have a quote request to a very large Donaldson distributor located here in New Orleans to see if he can special order. We shall see on Tue.

Smckerigan

The ramps are made from cad drawings and they were built with the correct length and over built, and yes there is a center support and they are chained down in three points so they will not slide out, and there is a pin in the top to hold it down on the bed. So no it's not an accident waiting to happen from a post earlier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks