• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy commanding the Titanic was not an engineer.

I think the point of the discussion is that the ramp doesn't look strong enough to support the weight of a jeep. I.e., what happens if one of the footings slips next time, etc. I think it is a positive when someone speaks up when something looks to be unsafe. ( e.g., a half ton truck pulling a 5 ton truck down the road. Just because you can do it, doesn't make it safe.)

Mike,
BSAE

big block 88

My engineering started at Square D Company in the engineering lab building prototypes of up to 4000 amp devices and heat rise testing them for UL listing. If you've ever wired 16 500mcm cables per phase + neutral and then put 4000 amps through it to see how hot it gets....your engineering is quite "hands on". My job was to take what senior engineers designed, have it made in the manufacturing plant, assemble it, test it, redesign and re-test and MAKE THINGS WORK...very hands-on.

I design, build, manufacture and install sawmill equipment which takes a beating and have a another line in design and fabricating, installing and maintaining pneumatic high security jail locks for older jails with failing gear-motor remote systems. I save communities millions of dollars when they cannot afford a new jail.

I own 7-8 welders and use them (well, 5 are stuck in a trailer of machinery and I leave one on a job-site). How many times have you found yourself with a torch in one hand and a welding stick in the other? And how scarred up is you left arm from hot metal and burning paint? I have the scars...most of which heal.
2x2x1/8 has a cross section of steel around of just under 1". I do agree that a leg or load gear is needed, folding or removable. Even a T or truss added to the bottom or top would be a good thing.

I dont doubt your credentials sir. Im a meer print reader and a guy who melts things together. 6g pipe stick/mig/tig. Stucture side is all positions 3g-5g mig/stick is all i have to my name no fancy schooling for me im to fidgety for the class room.

I assure you i wasnt after starting a pissing contest with you. I can be a bit of a grouchy ass and i had seen in several other threads where fellas dress down others or "noobs" when they just needed some guidance or input. We were all young and all at one point new to building or modifying things i always try and remind myself of this. Any way im good with going back to 5 ton discussions....

Hopefully the OP can show us the ramps with a support under them of somemkind.

big block 88

I added the front steps to the bottom of the boxes a while back. I had been using the curved headlight guards as handles, but they were a bit rough on the hands. I used some grab irons from an MK48 cab upgrade kit. They also double as light guards for those low limbs hanging out in the trails.

View attachment 631762

View attachment 631763

I also adjusted the wiper arms and blades so they are out of sight when driving. I'm not ducking to see traffic lights anymore.

View attachment 631764
i love the nose of that truck, the lights and bumper is excellent work man.

How in the world do you index your wipers like that? I do not see an adjustment unless im looking right at it?

tobyS

I've faced more than one angry welder but I'll assure you, I meant no harm. That was a rather harsh way to complain about my tact in providing my opinion. If I didn't have an email from responding to this thread, I would not have sought the opportunity to make a comment. I don't think you will find any real personal attack from me.

I have respect for your welding ability and if the man wants to risk a $30k vehicle to seeing if will balance on one corner, who am I to stand in the way? Well ****...my dog likes me any-way...or at least she used to. Have a good day.

Last edited:

Smckerigan

The guy commanding the Titanic was not an engineer.

I think the point of the discussion is that the ramp doesn't look strong enough to support the weight of a jeep. I.e., what happens if one of the footings slips next time, etc. I think it is a positive when someone speaks up when something looks to be unsafe. ( e.g., a half ton truck pulling a 5 ton truck down the road. Just because you can do it, doesn't make it safe.)

Mike,
BSAE

As far as the ramps sliding I have them chained down in two places so they can't and I also drilled a 1/2 hole in the bed and I have a grade 8 bolt and nuts to bolt the top of the ramps to the bed.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the ramps sliding I have them chained down in two places so they can't and I also drilled a 1/2 hole in the bed and I have a grade 8 bolt and nuts to bolt the top of the ramps to the bed.
I was concerned about the bottom end sliding away from the truck, due to flexing not separation from your truck. Losing a few degrees of your arch might be the difference between success and the agony of defeat.

It looks under built to me, but I'm not a fabricator and although I'm an aerospace engineer, I don't really deal with those materials, or structures.

It's your jeep and you health, roll the dice as you see fit, and I truly hope I'm 100% wrong.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess we'll never get the actual measurements from Smckerigan if you guys keep beating on him. I would imagine he got the point quite some time ago. The ramps look like an excellent starting point to me.
Maybe this is all just a goof to get everyone fired up anyway. Maybe he loaded the jeep on a dock, then put his ATV ramps up to get some pics?

M925A2 with dump hoist

mdemars03

3 pages of bashing someone's ramps? Really guys? Can we get back to the topic of this thread "What have you done to you 5 ton this week". If you would like to talk about ramps then we can start another thread for it. If the ramp thing keeps going a mod may shut the thread down. I understand some of it is trying to understand and keep others safe, but at this point it is getting excessive.

big block 88

3 pages of bashing someone's ramps? Really guys? Can we get back to the topic of this thread "What have you done to you 5 ton this week". If you would like to talk about ramps then we can start another thread for it. If the ramp thing keeps going a mod may shut the thread down. I understand some of it is trying to understand and keep others safe, but at this point it is getting excessive.
lol. We could call it "YOURE DOING IT WRONG!!"

Im just super curious how swampdonkey indexed his wipers up!?!?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i love the nose of that truck, the lights and bumper is excellent work man.

How in the world do you index your wipers like that? I do not see an adjustment unless im looking right at it?
lol. We could call it "YOURE DOING IT WRONG!!"

Im just super curious how swampdonkey indexed his wipers up!?!?
The compliments are appreciated.

Well, there are two adjustments for the wiper arm. The first is where the arm fits onto the motor shaft. This is a splined bushing that keeps the angle of the arm where you put it. The second one is for the blade angle, which I only saw after replacing the arms with new ones. The old ones had so much CARC on them, I didn't see the other adjustment.

In the picture, there is a splined disc that fits into a tapered cup. The bolt at the tip of the arm holds everything in place. Loosen the arm from the wiper shaft so it moves freely then loosen the blade holder so that it does the same. Adjust both how you like, then tighten both back down. Viola...your wipers are now invisible and this thread is back on track. :mrgreen:

20160705_192858.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Drained my front differential after the mudding adventure. Was All still clean. Relocated my differential vent tubes up higher. Added a large heat shield to the underside of the cab under the transmission door and the exhaust. Going to start cutting up the rear of my truck to accommodate a new winch.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Drained my front differential after the mudding adventure. Was All still clean. Relocated my differential vent tubes up higher. Added a large heat shield to the underside of the cab under the transmission door and the exhaust. Going to start cutting up the rear of my truck to accommodate a new winch.
It's no big deal at all, but just curious:

- How did you decide to put it on the rear (instead of the front)?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't want the overhang and plus its a 45k winch. so the front end is already heavy enough. Plus If I have to winch myself and I am stuck in crap I probably don't want to keep going thru it. If its nothing bad then there is going to be a big truck in front of me that should be able to pull me thru it. I would rather have the weight to add to the rear of the truck and be able to get my self out of the crap I am in from the way I just came from.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I finished assembling the wrecker winch that I rebuilt for the M51A1 dump truck.

Now I have to install it and spool it with 280 ft of 5/8 cable.
I am debating on using 5/8" or 3/4" cable. $350 for 250ft or $520 for 250'. I know 3/4" is rated for 53k

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would much rather have the heavier cable than extra distance. I live in the land of trees. so there is always one near by. If not I have 3 of the 140' straps that I can run out. Just winch a ways and reset.
Winches I am looking at one is 45k off a 936. the other is a DP hydraulic 50k. It may be rated for 50 but they pull more than that. I much rather take into account the suction the mud has on a truck. I have also thought about having another spool of cable just handy in case I did needed to double line it back . Honestly. I wouldn't even put more than 150' on the winch anyways, Just cause I don't want a bigger birdsnest in the end. It is bound to happen some day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks