• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't have my garage built yet. when I need to move something around here. It is usually a giant game of musical military stuff. and this doesn't include two 923s I have at foster homes and the rest of my crap at the storage yard. At least when I get my garage built finally I know how much crap I can fit inside of it.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a buddy to help, it's awkward. I did mine in one shot, not two sections, so it might be easier to do in pieces. The bolts behind the drivers seats are a PITA. Don't torque the front holders, they aren't meant to pull, they'll just bend. Carefully seat the weatherstripping before you torque the bolts, it likes to move. The top most likely will not fit like a glove, it's not you. I choose to put some silicone on the mating surfaces then ran two final beads on completion. Mine was a takeoff, so YMMV, but I wanted no leaks, my poor cab had enough in its lifetime before me. I didn't opt to put a screw in the front corners, don't know if that is in the instructions, but I've seen them on a lot of trucks. It was on the old one. Enjoy the new sounds or lack of some.
Good info. I was also hoping it'd be a little easier since it is in two pieces. I'll most likely tackle it myself, as I do everything else. I got the box in my Frontier by myself, then in the back of the big truck by myself. If I put the back piece in place first, I should be able to roll the top on fairly easily. At least it all looks good on paper...:mrgreen:

Another Ahab

I don't have my garage built yet. when I need to move something around here. It is usually a giant game of musical military stuff. and this doesn't include two 923s I have at foster homes and the rest of my crap at the storage yard. At least when I get my garage built finally I know how much crap I can fit inside of it.
Maybe you might want add-on an extra bay or two, you know in case you run into a Hawk missile carrier or something. :jumpin:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The one 923 needs a home. Then the 934 cargo needs a home and then the HET i am intending to buy will fit nicely.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took my boys for a ride with the top off yesterday.

20160728_193826.jpg

Started on the hard top when I got back. Everything went well, up until the point of rolling up the windows. Everything is square but both doors will need to be moved forward to clear the seal and end of the top. The top is perfectly flush with the back of the cab so I really don't want to move it back anymore.

20160729_160004.jpg

20160729_160045.jpg

On a side note, some of the problem on the passenger side is that 3 of the 4 screws going into the cab for the lower hinge are stripped. I've contemplated drilling and tapping them to a larger size or drilling them and using a bolt and nut instead of threaded holes. I think I can get to the inside of the panel through the cowl vent. This will have to be fixed before I start adjusting other things. What has everybody been doing with stripped hinge screws?

Amer-team

Changed the boots on the 1SG's 923A1 yesterday and played with the PBR guys tractor today. It is having an airleak somewhere and when it finally started, noticed a small leak of fuel on the rubber line going to the IP. Project for another day.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got a new exhaust pipe put on since I had a busted bellow that was leaking. Also added a new magnaflow muffler.

Checked my floor temp with the new exhaust. still 110 or so while driving at the access box even with a heat shield under it . So tomorrow I am going to strip down the underside of the cab and spray on some Lizardskin that is suppose to make the temps cooler. Also going to blanket wrap the exhaust under the truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4t3VWHt84

Attachments

74M35A2

Finished the passenger side engine bolt on upgrades (A2, 8.3L). New high output alternator, light weight gear reduction starter, and 3 ton A/C compressor. All genuine parts, nothing Chinese. Stock removed parts for sale in classifieds.
image.jpg

WYomer

Took my boys for a ride with the top off yesterday.

View attachment 635997

Started on the hard top when I got back. Everything went well, up until the point of rolling up the windows. Everything is square but both doors will need to be moved forward to clear the seal and end of the top. The top is perfectly flush with the back of the cab so I really don't want to move it back anymore.

View attachment 635998

View attachment 635999

On a side note, some of the problem on the passenger side is that 3 of the 4 screws going into the cab for the lower hinge are stripped. I've contemplated drilling and tapping them to a larger size or drilling them and using a bolt and nut instead of threaded holes. I think I can get to the inside of the panel through the cowl vent. This will have to be fixed before I start adjusting other things. What has everybody been doing with stripped hinge screws?
Mind if I ask where you got the top I want one and am debating making or NOS/Used. Some of the used I've seen are junky and pricey. But I want to close up some leaks and seal it up for better Wyoming performance, and hear a radio.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks