• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

WYomer

Howdy,

No I am just down the road from Allard.

Allard is the one who got me into this...

Happy Tails,
tom n tyler
I've know him since I was in high school...great guy. I figured Moundhouse, Unimog, Landrover had to be him. Know his handle here?

TCD

There's still time to get out.

But you're probably not leaving at all, are you!?
Well things started off with a real bang right after I got the truck...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?153988-Threw-a-Torque-Rod-today

And I have to admit that I am still a little intimidated by the sheer size of everything but so far so good!

I am putting a box on the back right now and I'll have a better idea if this truck will work for me in a few months.

Meanwhile,

Happy Tails,
tom n tyler

TCD

I've know him since I was in high school...great guy. I figured Moundhouse, Unimog, Landrover had to be him. Know his handle here?
YUP!

I got one of his Mogs first! Great off-road but to small and to slow for my needs.

I've forwarded Allard this thread as I do not know his nick name here.

tom n tyler

gottaluvit

Well, I drove mine to Chambersburg, PA today to pick up another M1082 trailer for rough work so as to not worry about keeping it all prettied up, like my other one. Only issue on the 184 mile treck was my speedometer cable backed out by the transfer case (fixed), and something came out of the top of my power steering reservoir. I suspect it to be a vent, but no fluid came out at all. Anyone here happen to know what screws in here?
20160802_195405.jpg

Also, coming up some of those mountains in the Laurel Highlands I smelled very hot exhaust. Is this normal? My fuel isn't turned up for sure as empty it was downshifting to 2nd. I thought I lived in the hills in my part of Ohio. I stand corrected!

603hellmutt

Well, I drove mine to Chambersburg, PA today to pick up another M1082 trailer for rough work so as to not worry about keeping it all prettied up, like my other one. Only issue on the 184 mile treck was my speedometer cable backed out by the transfer case (fixed), and something came out of the top of my power steering reservoir. I suspect it to be a vent, but no fluid came out at all. Anyone here happen to know what screws in here?
View attachment 636938

Also, coming up some of those mountains in the Laurel Highlands I smelled very hot exhaust. Is this normal? My fuel isn't turned up for sure as empty it was downshifting to 2nd. I thought I lived in the hills in my part of Ohio. I stand corrected!
It is the power steering breather, i also had mine mysteriously disappear. Found it on the large E auction site for $20

gottaluvit

azteclizard

Went to OK to pick up some tires for my project. Got them home and realized they are on MRAP rims and thus has the wrong bolt pattern. Ugh.. lots of driving for not.
20160801_194640.jpg20160801_194629.jpg
20160801_194650.jpg
Anyone interested in a trade.. they still have the knobbies on them... ugh FML

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Those are definitely different rims.. these have alot more bolts on them..... and your video starts with the nuts already removed.
MRAP nuts will come off with a half inch impact. Compared to 5 ton that generally requires a 1inch gun. They also have no where near the long threads of a 5ton wheel so It equals out. Between air usage and moving heavy stuff around as well. Heck they are already off the truck and that's the hardest part. Sure hope you don't get a flat someday or a bunch of crap o rings on some wheels.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately I don't have any air guns... or impacts for that matter.. just good ole MANual power. Lol.
You will hurt yourself in the long run. Part of operating heavy equipment/big trucks is the ability to maintain them, that may take a certain investment in tooling and support equipment. The payback in acquiring the right tools for the job is directly proportional to time saved and wear and tear on your body.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will hurt yourself in the long run. Part of operating heavy equipment/big trucks is the ability to maintain them, that may take a certain investment in tooling and support equipment. The payback in acquiring the right tools for the job is directly proportional to time saved and wear and tear on your body.
[thumbzup] Yeah... ^^^ What he said. The green iron disease has side effects like insane tool purchases. I went from a 5 gal Sears air compressor to a 30 gal Ingersoll, with 16 cfm and 3 different impact drivers, with all 4 standard hose gauges in the last 6 months. I think I've spent more on tools than I did on the truck. And I used to have a very nice little HVAC pad and trash area on the side of my house. Now it's "the maintenance yard", where I keep the extra parts/side projects/air lines/rust reformers/steel pieces.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks