• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

WYomer

Turned up the fuel in my M923A2, spent two days charging the batteries externally, changed the oil, and making betters grounds in the dash panel.

Still no dash lights despite all good connections, and found the low speed blower has been on for weeks. Then my PCB has been acting up so farted around with that Petronix unit. I think the master power on solenoid is sticking since some times I get battery power sometimes I dont. Flip the switch a few times and it works. Need to find a spare before I cut the old one open and rebuild it.

Tightened all the CTIS fittings I could and snapped off the adapter on my rear wheel line. Tapped it out, ran to town and got a new one at NAPA then back at it. CTIS worked great for an hour then back to 5 lights. Good grief.

Then my hood latch came apart....yeah other one looks about ready to go too. Anybody know if those are generic?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
74M and I are friends/ we cut up on each other like that. H e knows that I am only kidding. Didn't mean to offend you--------------
Wasnt offended as much as upset for the other guy
Thats the problem with text. Can't read tone in them
If your ok with it then no issue here

74M35A2

Wasnt offended as much as upset for the other guy
Thats the problem with text. Can't read tone in them
If your ok with it then no issue here
I fully recognize that, and appreciate it. It needed to be toned down anyway, we don't want new guys thinking they are about to get thrown in the ring and that is what this board stands for, because it isn't. Nobody had negative intentions.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentleman - Let us also remember that this is a FAMILY FRIENDLY website and ALL posts should be G-Rated or PG-13 at worst. It is not uncommon for some of us old farts to be reading these posts aloud to or in the view of children and grandchildren who are being brought up to appreciate the MV hobby and its related historical value. These youngsters have inquiring minds and know when a post is "censored". It's better for all of us not to have to be filters for our precious next-generations than to further corrupt their upbringing.

My best advise is..... Before hitting the POST button, imagine your grandchild is sitting on your lap saying, "Why did you skip that one, Grandpa?"..... then reconsider, edit, rewrite, or simply CANCEL any misstep.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming......

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR 5-TON THIS WEEK?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I will give this warning..... If this "kidding" behavior continues some vacation time WILL be handed out. You may know it is humor but many others do not. When people start reporting things like this the moderators will get involved. Take the kidding to the mess hall or PMs

Last edited:

74M35A2

Got it. We had it fixed and were all back to hugs and kisses before mom and dad showed up.

Funny that PG ratings of today have no correlation to PG ratings of yesterday (isn't that frustrating?). When you go to court, the judge usually has some level of mercy for those that are contribitors to society (ie paying taxes). Here, at least I am a paying member, and I bring todays modern technology starters, alternators, low cost and easy 8.3L serpentine A/C compressor bracket kits, and hopefully CTIS controller module diagnostics and reprogram capability, to others to further increase the reliability and enjoyment level of their MV's.

I'll better behave. That was further polite to give a place to do it, rather than say don't do it at all. It is like trying to keep skateboarders off the library steps. Appreciated, thanks. Don't let the grandkids in the mess hall (?).

Last edited:
Blew up my M923 yesterday. Took the old girl out for a joy ride and noticed it was overheating. Thermostat must have stuck shut or something. I thought I could make it home before any engine damage occurred. Well I was wrong. I was about 500 feet from my driveway when the engine started to lose power. So I parked it and let it cool overnight. When I started it in the morning I noticed a knock coming from deep in the engine. I figure it's either a rod bearing or possibly a wrist pin has streched out the piston. Not sure until I tear into it. Boy am I stupid!

74M35A2

Bummer. Probably scored the liners feom piston expansion and maybe wiped out the bearings (coolant eats them). Great time to pick up a used 400hp turbo 855. They can be had for the cost of a rebuild kit for what you have now. Change in a day an enjoy the new power. I'd be envious.

gottaluvit

Blew up my M923 yesterday. Took the old girl out for a joy ride and noticed it was overheating. Thermostat must have stuck shut or something. I thought I could make it home before any engine damage occurred. Well I was wrong. I was about 500 feet from my driveway when the engine started to lose power. So I parked it and let it cool overnight. When I started it in the morning I noticed a knock coming from deep in the engine. I figure it's either a rod bearing or possibly a wrist pin has streched out the piston. Not sure until I tear into it. Boy am I stupid!
Sorry to hear that. Heck, we all have had our moments. Lets just hope it is the lesser of the many evils!

Another Ahab

That stinks; so close, too.

But what're you going to do? Stuff happens. Sorry it happened to you.

Bummer. Probably scored the liners feom piston expansion and maybe wiped out the bearings (coolant eats them). Great time to pick up a used 400hp turbo 855. They can be had for the cost of a rebuild kit for what you have now. Change in a day an enjoy the new power. I'd be envious.
I've got a nice 8v71n and 8v92ta two stroke Detroits sitting in my garage. I'm already salivating at the idea.

therooster2001

and found the low speed blower has been on for weeks.
This reminds me that's when I took out the truck a couple of weeks ago and was under the dash trying to figure out the ABS light, I heard an odd noise from the engine, a low rumble. The engine never sounded like that.. Was it the oil? Check all the gauges, and it's all in normal parameters. Panicking a bit, as if this guy had an issue, I'd never be able to get it back in the garages or how would I replace the engine.... Oh right, I just had turned the blower on. Problem solved.

The latches on the side? Or the mount? Did it just come unscrewed or did it actually break? Pict?

WYomer

This reminds me that's when I took out the truck a couple of weeks ago and was under the dash trying to figure out the ABS light, I heard an odd noise from the engine, a low rumble. The engine never sounded like that.. Was it the oil? Check all the gauges, and it's all in normal parameters. Panicking a bit, as if this guy had an issue, I'd never be able to get it back in the garages or how would I replace the engine.... Oh right, I just had turned the blower on. Problem solved.

The latches on the side? Or the mount? Did it just come unscrewed or did it actually break? Pict?
Ha! I think I put it all the way left for off in my brain instead of center off! or I bumped it...who knows! But when I was doing individual battery charging the one hooked up to the 12V was the lowest by far.

the hood latches are both damaged at the shaft that swivels on the riveted end. The aluminum hole has stretched and cracked so it pops through.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rule of thumb on any engine when you lose a belt or suspect overheating. Drive for 5 minutes, stop for 10 minutes. and cycle it depending on outdoor temps.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You mean, as long as the water pump is good.

Because she'll seize up for sure otherwise, right?
Even with a locked up water pump you can still use that rule of thumb. coolant can cool down quickly in 10mins. Sometimes as much as 30 degrees if it is a cool day outside. As long as it does not reach boiling. Helps also if you are in hill country. Kill your engine going down hill and coast refire on the climb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks