• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new hard top finally allowed me to get the 5 front clearance lights up top where they should be. They had been mounted on top of the grill since the soft top didn't have anything to mount them on.

20160920_165128.jpg

20160920_192007.jpg

20160917_211656.jpg

Swapped out my cheap fuse blocks for a Blue Sea 100A unit. It combines my 24V+, 12V+ and Grounds all in one unit. All fasteners are stainless and it uses ring terminals instead of spade connectors like the old ones.

20160920_165039.jpg

I threw together a wrench to get the upper torque rod nuts off that are behind the spring trunnion. I replaced the 4 lowers a while back and I'll be doing the uppers shortly. This wrench will make them as easy to replace as the lowers.

20160920_164803.jpg

20160920_164949.jpg

20160920_165007.jpg

20160920_184428.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

That wrench is some kind of special; that's innovative. [thumbzup]

I'm guessing a standard offset wrench just wouldn't cut it right there; was it the angle?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That wrench is some kind of special; that's innovative. [thumbzup]

I'm guessing a standard offset wrench just wouldn't cut it right there; was it the angle?
It's a tough spot to get at with multiple things in the way. Wrench size is 2-1/4" so any wrenches are going to cost a few bucks, especially specialty ones. I got my hands on an offset striking wrench to test but the offset wasn't deep enough. Decided to make my own from a socket I already had.

Got the socket for $3 from my surplus guys tool bucket. I cut 1" off the end then used 2"×1/4" flat bar to make the rest. Took about 30 minutes with the cutoff wheel and welder. I built it well enough to be beat on with a hammer.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a tough spot to get at with multiple things in the way. Wrench size is 2-1/4" so any wrenches are going to cost a few bucks, especially specialty ones. I got my hands on an offset striking wrench to test but the offset wasn't deep enough. Decided to make my own from a socket I already had.

Got the socket for $3 from my surplus guys tool bucket. I cut 1" off the end then used 2"×1/4" flat bar to make the rest. Took about 30 minutes with the cutoff wheel and welder. I built it well enough to be beat on with a hammer.
Don't suppose you had enough left of that socket to share?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't suppose you had enough left of that socket to share?
I do. There should be enough left for another piece to be cut. It was a shallow socket, so the broaching will stop below the cut. I think there is still enough to get a firm grip though. You want it now or at the rally?

l3oss

Hello all. I joined on Sept 10th. Ive been reading this tread for a couple hrs each night, & I just hit the half way mark(pg.247). Im new to the hobby and find this SS site very helpful. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have posted.

Aside from this thread and mod/hotrod for 5ton.... what are some of the other informative/popular threads for 5t/939 trucks?

Removed TGD plackards, Added Hazard Kit & ABC Fire Extinguisher. Had Battery Kill Switch Installed(padlocked). Also tested with WD40 on tailgate. I will post pics soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are you planning on rotating tires now, too; or just swap out the bad tie-rods?
I rotated the cupped tires to the front tandem so they won't ride so rough till they even out on wear. then I will swap them to the rear tandem and move those up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks